mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Fat bike front hub question (DT big ride)

I posted this on the wheel forum but will probably get more experience here?

While getting my fat bike ready for the upcoming snow season, I noticed some side to side play on my DT Big Ride front hub. This was after I clamped it into my my Bluto fork. I have had the wheel for two years and it has around 980 miles on it. Pressing on the end caps with my hands, they stay centered, but without the pressure they are loose. I have increased the clamping pressure on the Bluto as much as is possible. Anyone have experience with this or similar and do you have a fix.

Thanks,
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a \mountain or fat/ bike.” ~ John F. Kennedy

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    New end caps are cheap, but to me that sounds like worn out bearings. You need the 4 digit number from the side of the bearing and can get them at a transmission bearing supply shop for cheap, but you need a bearing press kit to install them. You can do it on the cheap with a socket and bench vice but if you put em in crooked the hub is garbage. Im a pretty good home mechanic but I pay to have bearings pressed in.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    FWIW posting my mistake; might help someone... I failed to tighten the RS maxle on my Bluto correctly.

urmb
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a \mountain or fat/ bike.” ~ John F. Kennedy