mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Fat Bike on a fork mount roof rack?

So I've seen an adaptor our there for $75-$80 - it's just like the one you use for a thru axle. But frankly I don't want to spend another $80 on basically the same part. I've done some searching but didn't see anything. Is there a (very reasonably priced] adaptor so you can use a thru axle fork mount to hold a QR fat bike fork? I'm thinking it would just need to be a longer hollow tube, or possibly a two piece so each end can be larger where it engage the fork? Or maybe one could just buy a 135mm QR skewer and make spacers? thanks.

mtbr member
    I couldn't engineer anything for my Thule fork mount roof rack so I bought the $75 Fork-Up adapter.
    Remember,you don't want to be fumbling with a nut, screw, skewer, etc. with one hand while holding 30 lbs of bike steady with the other hand. With the adapter, you install it on your fork & then put your fattie on like you would any bike.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Search for a DIY adapter by user "drevil". Basically, take a Shimano hub (front or rear), take out the axle, cut in half, then install on either side of the fork mount. Space out as needed using the lock nuts. Of course, use the 135mm (or whatever) QR. Works like a charm for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I had the same predicament, since Rocky Mounts expressed no interest in making fatbike-friendly skewers at the time.

I bought some used 135mm axles from a community bike shop for a few bucks, added a washer or two, drilled out my Rocky Mounts to 10mm, and now they work fine with a normal quick release.

Fat Bike on a fork mount roof rack?-16646055801_e38aa4e0a0_z.jpg

Fat Bike on a fork mount roof rack?-16460075510_d068afa4a8_z.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by howrad View Post
    I bought some used 135mm axles from a community bike shop for a few bucks, added a washer or two, drilled out my Rocky Mounts to 10mm,
    Come to think of it, that's why I used the front axle, as it's 9mm and doesn't need any drilling.

mtbr member

Fat Bike on a fork mount roof rack?

Here is what I did with my Kuat fork mount.

Marty-MJ
    www.garagescene.net
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B
    14 FarleyBlue,Bluto,i9-Hed,4.JumboJims
    14 FarleyBlack,Jackalope
    17 Farley 9.6 Under Construction

bigger than you.
    I used a length of 3/8" all-thread, some plastic spacers a couple of washers and a couple of wing nuts. It's worked well, but you have to be certain that it is really torqued down. I also use a few bungies for extra security. Since I've gotten a lefty, i went ahead and forked out the cash for a Hurricane adapter.

aka bOb
    I did this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Bike on a fork mount roof rack?-skewer-2.jpg  

Fat Bike on a fork mount roof rack?-fork-mount.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunyak View Post
    I couldn't engineer anything for my Thule fork mount roof rack so I bought the $75 Fork-Up adapter.
    Remember,you don't want to be fumbling with a nut, screw, skewer, etc. with one hand while holding 30 lbs of bike steady with the other hand. With the adapter, you install it on your fork & then put your fattie on like you would any bike.
    I also bought the Fork-Up adapter (although I thought it was cheaper than $75...more like $55) and it works great. I agree that you probable don't want to be juggling 30+ lbs of bike while getting your setup together each time you load/unload your bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If you have a welder and an old bike with a rear 135mm hub/axle, it's easy. If you have one and don't have a welder, send it to me and I'll weld it up for you for $15, $10 for my time to fabricate and $5 to ship.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Bike on a fork mount roof rack?-fattymount1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Ok Here's what I did - similar to some other guys here.
    Went to a community bike shop and got a 135mm QR axle and skewer. On the axle are the outer bearing cups, also spacers and end nuts. I inserted the axle in my blue thru-hub adaptor for my FS bike. The thru-axle adaptor is 15mm ID. The outer bearing cups on the axle locate it and hold it in place in the adaptor when tightened. Space out the nuts to 135mm and bam. Good to go. Worked like a charm. $5. Only downside is it need to be taken apart if I want to carry the FS bike - but that will be very rare, if at all, in winter so it's not something I'm concerned about. Sorry no pic.