mtbr member

Fat bike conversion to 29+ fork options

Trying to flip my Trek Farley to 29+ .I've found the rims and hubs I want however fork options are more problematic. Preferably I want a rigid carbon fork but seems Trek have discontinued the Haru and now they only offer this: https://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en_CA/r...-fork/p/12931/
    Now this is 100mm spacing. Ideally I wanted 150 for Hope Fatsno hubs. There are plenty of suspension fork options for 150mm but not so many for rigid forks. Can anyone suggest anything? Also, I can find plenty of discounted 29+ forks with 110 Boost spacing. Wondering how that would effect the feel of the bike. Current rear hub spacing is 197. Thanks

XC
    Trail
    Road
    Fat...it's all cycling.

mtbr member
    Are you sure the Haru is out of stock?

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/r...-fork/p/13429/
    it's a challenge some of us are ultimately worthy of.

mtbr member
    There are tons of carbon forks available. Did you check:

Otso (Lithic)
    Borealis
    Sarma
    Whisky
    Bikes Direct
    E-Bay

From that list you should be able to find one in your price range.

My Otso fits 29+ with room to spare. It has an axle to crown of 485mm. I expect a 465 would work too.

If going 29+, why not go suspension fork to soak up the bumps? I bought a Mastodon Pro STD and it works great with 29+ (no need for the EXT).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    Are you sure the Haru is out of stock?

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/r...-fork/p/13429/
    well I contacted Trek USA on chat and they told me the product is now discontinued.

XC
    Trail
    Road
    Fat...it's all cycling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    There are tons of carbon forks available. Did you check:

Otso (Lithic)
    Borealis
    Sarma
    Whisky
    Bikes Direct
    E-Bay

From that list you should be able to find one in your price range.

My Otso fits 29+ with room to spare. It has an axle to crown of 485mm. I expect a 465 would work too.

If going 29+, why not go suspension fork to soak up the bumps? I bought a Mastodon Pro STD and it works great with 29+ (no need for the EXT).
    Basically I'm looking for something that fits the look of the bike (Farley 5 in Dnister Black). Lauf Carbonara is a nice match but stupidly expensive. I've heard of a few of those others so will have a look thanks. I was looking into Mastodons but they're still quite expensive. If, for example I got a Manitiou Magnum 29+ with 110 Boost rather than 150mm spacing I'm wondering how it would affect the ride. Is it weird to have 197mm rear and Boost front? I will be getting new wheels so I have some flex in front hub/fork standards.

XC
    Trail
    Road
    Fat...it's all cycling.

mtbr member
    The front hub spacing has nothing to do with bike function. It may seem strange to run a boost fork with a fat bike rear end but there is nothing inherently wrong with doing so. It's more about making the most of the bike you have. Of course that's what I think because I run a boost Pike 29+ with a 177 rear spec frame. Works great for summer and for winter the rigid fork goes on with the fatty wheelset.

mtbr member
    Having a set of 110/197 29'r wheels will be very limiting if you ever want to sell. How many would buy that set of wheels? Certainly not as many as would buy a 150/197 set.

If your 135 fat wheel is TA or convertible to TA you could always use a spacer kit to use it in a 150 TA fork. I did that for a Hadley hub as they do not make a red hub in 150. and it works fine.

WNC Native
    Carver also has a boost 29+ rigid fork
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    use your stock fork, it clears 29+
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    Giant Trance Advanced 1
    Trek Farley 9.6 + Lauf
    Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    use your stock fork, it clears 29+
    Sometimes the simplest answers are right in front of you.

mtbr member
    What fork do you have currently? Are you on Trek's new forkless Farley?
    it's a challenge some of us are ultimately worthy of.

mtbr member
    thanks for the (amusing!) suggestions. It's a 2016 Farley 5 with the stock aluminium fork. I fancied a lighter carbon fork, making the bike a bit similar to the rigid Stache or lovely Trek 1120. Had pretty much settled on Hope Fatsno hubs and Duroc 50mm rims. The Haru looked like a good replacement but what isn't clear to me is if it would fit 29+ wheelset. My Farley was one of the models that can take a 26", 27.5 or 29+. However the Haru specs list it as only compatible with 26" and 27.5. Also, I take the correct point that I could just stick with the existing fork but at 135mm spacing if I get new wheels built I'll be stuck with another 135/197 wheelset with little re-sale value.

XC
    Trail
    Road
    Fat...it's all cycling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    Having a set of 110/197 29'r wheels will be very limiting if you ever want to sell. How many would buy that set of wheels? Certainly not as many as would buy a 150/197 set.

If your 135 fat wheel is TA or convertible to TA you could always use a spacer kit to use it in a 150 TA fork. I did that for a Hadley hub as they do not make a red hub in 150. and it works fine.
    I've heard this before and it would allow me to switch between fat and 29+ wheelsets. How do I know if my front 135 QR is thru axle convertible? I had also thought about spacers but would need to get them custom made.

XC
    Trail
    Road
    Fat...it's all cycling.

mtbr member
    as i said in the other thread, the Haru (15 x 150) easily takes 29+. This is 29 x 3 Chupacabra on a 40 mm wheel

Name:  Farley 5.jpeg
Views: 53
Size:  59.5 KB
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    Giant Trance Advanced 1
    Trek Farley 9.6 + Lauf
    Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Iíll sell ya an all black Lythic carbon fork with 150mm front spacing. It fits 29+ no problem and has 9.5Ē of steerer tube. Iím going to swap it out for a fork with rack mounts. PM if youíre interested.