fat bike for the beach 2020 (new england beaches)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2020

fat bike for the beach 2020 (new england beaches)

looking for brand bikes around $700-1500 at for the price of the materials is my budget.

thanks for ideas.

looked through the first few pages of google results for articles on best fat bikes.

thanks!!

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by finnstones View Post
    looking for brand bikes around $700-1500 at for the price of the materials is my budget.

thanks for ideas.

looked through the first few pages of google results for articles on best fat bikes.

thanks!!
    RSD Mayor, right at the top end of your budget and a sweet rig. Sliding dropouts, space for 5.05's.
    $1499 is the base model, shipping included to the 48 states.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2020
    thanks. do you know how to cut the cost and find some of their older bikes ? besides ebay. or bikexchange. are there other insider sites for secondary sales?

do you like framed minnesota? i see that at $800

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Have you look at Pinkbike?

Framed bikes looks solid. Not sure how durable their frames are, but the price is right. They are also alloy vs the steel of the Mayor, which some prefer thanks to how steel rides.

All fat, all the time.
    Facebook has a fat bike trade/for sale I think.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by Funoutside View Post
    Have you look at Pinkbike?

Framed bikes looks solid. Not sure how durable their frames are, but the price is right. They are also alloy vs the steel of the Mayor, which some prefer thanks to how steel rides.
    The Mayor is offered in aluminum or Ti, steel is only an option for the MiddleChild.

thanks. do you know how to cut the cost and find some of their older bikes ? besides ebay. or bikexchange. are there other insider sites for secondary sales?

do you like framed minnesota? i see that at $800
    Check in with www.rsdbikes.com. Mayor looks to be sold out on some model choices but there is a sale going on.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2020
    thanks guys. i may wait a year and see if i can find a better deal on mayor secondary markets. i think i am closer to looking for $800 . so framed was more appealing. although my quick observation is bike prices dont depreciate that dramatically.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    awesome found this group

turtles make me hot
    If I were going to build a bike specifically for the beach, I would probably use a Framed Wolftrax frame, Bike Hub Store hubs, 90mm Alex Blizzerks shod with Surly 4.8 Knards and a 1x11 drivetrain and brakes of personal choice.
    I have an older 907 with 190/135 and it is set up like this. I can go many miles on Long Island beaches.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Some good deals at my local shop (used, closeouts, etc.), in your price range: tricitybicycles.com

in NH, so maybe near you?

mtbr member
    May 2020
    i may copy and paste on this suggestion, thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2020

mtbr member
    May 2020
    i may copy and paste with this suggestion. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    If I were going to build a bike specifically for the beach, I would probably use a Framed Wolftrax frame, Bike Hub Store hubs, 90mm Alex Blizzerks shod with Surly 4.8 Knards and a 1x11 drivetrain and brakes of personal choice.
    I have an older 907 with 190/135 and it is set up like this. I can go many miles on Long Island beaches.

Rippin da fAt
    Big Fat Larry had to be the best sand tire on the market til Surly discontinued em...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2020
    so should i buy these? or do i need to find 120 tpi?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Surly-60tpi...AEnQ_iaDZ83CPg

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Big Fat Larry had to be the best sand tire on the market til Surly discontinued em...

Rippin da fAt
    so should i buy these? or do i need to find 120 tpi?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Surly-60tpi...AEnQ_iaDZ83CPg
    Heaven's no! At that price you can save some coin with Knard 4.8 120 TPI for a better ride quality.
    That seller is trying for 150 US + 30 shipping each, con artist...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    You have a lot of good suggestions already. I started fatbiking with a Gravity Bullseye Monster (and upgraded parts along the way), I have a Framed Alaskan Carbon now (the older 26" version). Both were fine bikes for the money. The only additional thought I would add is to make sure when you buy a bike you leave yourself a few bucks for repairs (and maybe upgrades for specific things you want after riding it a while). Salt water is brutal to bikes. Make sure you are keeping everything well greased and oiled and cleaning your bike up of any salt. Beach sand is like a salt shaker on the bike. I am lucky because my beach rides are along the Great Lakes - fresh water.

turtles make me hot
    Yeah... What everyone else said. Dont buy those Larrys. BF Larry is a great sand tire but those wire bead ones arent the ones you want. The good 120 tpi folding bead ones were 49.95 before they disappeared entirely.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I have two Framed fat bikes, a Minnesota 2.0 in alloy, and a carbon Alaskan.
    Both great bikes, and awesome value for your money.
    Check them out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I had a Gravity Monster 1x1 with a 22 out back I kept in California for a few years to ride the beaches. It was perfect for the flat hard beach there near Morro Bay. Alu frame so I didn't worry about that rusting. I never got into the dunes or heavy sand though, wouldn't have done so great there.

mtbr member
    May 2020

thanks for ideas.

thanks!!
    Another vote for Framed bikes here. I just picked-up a Framed Wolftrax Carbon last month's during Framed's Spring Sale for about $1100. I has far exceeded my expectations. It has SRAM hydraulic brakes, tubeless ready rims and tires, tapered headtube, and a carbon frame and fork. It weighed-in at 23 lbs before I converted the tires to tubeless.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fat bike for the beach 2020 (new england beaches)-wolftrax-carbon-deore.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

2020 FATBACK RHINO FLT (Fast Light Technology)

This ones close by and listed in the classifieds section.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fat bike for the beach 2020 (new england beaches)-ab498c2b-b717-443d-a176-7e27aa4b3d4c.jpg  

Thingamejigger
    I find 4.8 Schwalbe Jumbo Jim very good on the beaches. And you can certainly get them for a fraction of that con artists price selling those larry's.

^^^^ That fatback is a beauty!

Rippin da fAt
    Universal had the BFL's at 49 until the supply ran out. Must agree with the JJ, especially the liteskin for its supple ride and float that a stiffwall just cannot duplicate.
    Doctor recommended...

Thingamejigger
    Must agree with the JJ, especially the liteskin
    Indeed, liteskins on my bike. They have been, for me, quite robust for beach and coastal rocks. Nice and soft for best traction and compliance.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post
    Indeed, liteskins on my bike. They have been, for me, quite robust for beach and coastal rocks. Nice and soft for best traction and compliance.
    Arizona desert has been a great testing ground for 'em. Never had a flat of any sort in the last few years of going there and playing in sand and rocks. Unfortunately, Schwalbe discontinued the 4.8 in liteskin.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2020
    thx. one more wrinkle. should i plan on riding closer to the ocean where the sand is more firm? what should i plan for riding on the beach, ride up in sandy stuff or closer to shore? if i aim for more firm sand, what tires and bike would we start thinking about? (yes i realize bike will suffer from salt water riding closer)

Rippin da fAt
    Wait til you begin to experience the ride! For the looser sand, a 4.8 will do you well. Something with space between the treads and treads that aren't too tall displace the sand less so you stay afloat on top of the sand. To get to the damp and wet sand closer to the surf, ya gotsta get there! Lower tire pressure as needed for floatation and go. A reasonably sized pump is a primary accessory for fattin anywhere that low tires are common cause you will want to air up following the beach ride.

Jumbo Jim or Knard are a couple good choices, both are offered in 4.8.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2020
    THANKS. what are you saying about damp and wet sand, are you suggesting a different tire for there or .48 is awesome for sandy and for damp.wet?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    should i plan on riding closer to the ocean where the sand is more firm? what should i plan for riding on the beach, ride up in sandy stuff or closer to shore?
    In the hard sand you can ride a 1-3/4 tire.

I have ridden 3.8's in the loose sand. On 5" tires I've ridden up sand dunes. Oregon beaches, not New England.

If you're getting it for the beach and can swing it get 5" tires. Make sure they are 120tpi, run them tubeless at low pressure.

Use boeshield or something similar on the exposed aluminum and the spoke nipples. Be sure to wash it down with the hose EVERY TIME you ride.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    also who can build this for me? i have asked in another post but got no advice that went anywhere. anybody know a good bike shop? seems hard to find. want to put order in today!

turtles make me hot
    You'll find the sweet spot in the sand. I tend to ride just where the wet sand and the dry sand meet. I always move up and down to find the best sand.

One of my bikes has 100mm rims and 4.7 tires. The other has 4.8 on 80mm. Neither one is any easier than the other. Maybe the 100mm with the BF Larrys is a little easier.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    also who can build this for me? i have asked in another post but got no advice that went anywhere. anybody know a good bike shop? seems hard to find. want to put order in today!
    What do you need built? The wheels or the whole bike?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2020
    everything

turtles make me hot
    everything
    Where do you live?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2020
    massachusetts. i a ok with shipping xcountry fees

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Call the bike shops in your area. They appear to be open in Massachusetts and some may allow demos. I know here (Washington state) some shops are open and will let you demo with an appointment.

mtbr member
    Plenty of options on where to get a bike. If you are OK with ordering online, you can save some money, but you will have to do some assembly and maintenance.

If you're not able or don't want to do that stuff, call a few local shops to see what they have. Pletty much any Fatbike with tires around 4.8" size will work great for what you want to do, so it depends on your budget.

Rippin da fAt
    THANKS. what are you saying about damp and wet sand, are you suggesting a different tire for there or .48 is awesome for sandy and for damp.wet?
    4.8 works everywhere. Air pressure might need a top off after sand but otherwise go for it, have fun with experimenting and getting to know fat.

Damp sand, dry sand just a difference in number of wrinkles in the tire. Air up a little but not too much for the damp, air down some for the dry. On hard surface, you'll want the tire to squish when you are on the bike and get 50% to 70% of the tread in contact with the ground for the flotation.

As others have said, check with local bike shops. Source where you like.

Also of note, NYrr496 is worth sending a pm to.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2020
    thanks for all the help here guys. went with RSD Mayor. Should I switch out their tires for the BF Larrys? I think I heard 4.8 is good no matter what, but i also heard a few times that BF Larrys are fairly amazing.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    thanks for all the help here guys. went with RSD Mayor. Should I switch out their tires for the BF Larrys? I think I heard 4.8 is good no matter what, but i also heard a few times that BF Larrys are fairly amazing.
    Nice!!! What build did you get? I would try the stock Minions first in tubeless mode before changing tires. You might find them to your liking on the beaches.

Rippin da fAt
    I would get into the bike at this point, keeping an eye out for a pair of Jumbo Jim liteskin for a great beach experience. Universal Cycles may still have em for 66 bucks each.

Congratz on the Mayor! The bike is a very nice choice, what color?

Pix, pix or it didn't happen!!!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    went with RSD Mayor.
    Nice! you'll be happy. Have fun and post some pics
    My name is George. Iím unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    thx. one more wrinkle. should i plan on riding closer to the ocean where the sand is more firm?
    You'll figure it out as you ride. Good rule of thumb, ride where the footprints are faintest. Deep footprints=soft sand. As the tide comes in ride just above the water line, the sand will be solid and dry. As the tide is going out, you have to ride a bit higher because the sand is wetter and softer near the water line.

Also, try out different sand colors. Some layers of my beach have more shells crushed in, and the color and firmness is different.

As mentioned above, wash off after each ride. If you ride in the water, wash a lot. Anything rustable will rust. I use fenders, which helps a little.

All of my beach rides have a significant pavement portion, so I don't air down. Riding on the soft sand is near impossible, but I can sometimes manage to ride from the road to the hard sand, but it is lots of effort. I don't ride at high tide. I'm at 8-12 PSI on 3.8" tires. This is very high for the sand, but nice on the pavement.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by bholio2 View Post
    You'll figure it out as you ride. Good rule of thumb, ride where the footprints are faintest. Deep footprints=soft sand. As the tide comes in ride just above the water line, the sand will be solid and dry. As the tide is going out, you have to ride a bit higher because the sand is wetter and softer near the water line.

Also, try out different sand colors. Some layers of my beach have more shells crushed in, and the color and firmness is different.

As mentioned above, wash off after each ride. If you ride in the water, wash a lot. Anything rustable will rust. I use fenders, which helps a little.

All of my beach rides have a significant pavement portion, so I don't air down. Riding on the soft sand is near impossible, but I can sometimes manage to ride from the road to the hard sand, but it is lots of effort. I don't ride at high tide. I'm at 8-12 PSI on 3.8" tires. This is very high for the sand, but nice on the pavement.
    If it were like riding road, we couldn't be two wheeled Jeepin, now, could we!!

Air pressure is key in the sand regardless, wet, dry, loose... I run my mid fat at 8 max for anything since riding a basketball is not the efficient way to do the deed. Snow, sand, both work better with more tread on the ground for flotation. What I find makes a huge improvement is dropping the tire pressure so that they have 50-70% of the tread in contact with a hard surface. The flotation makes a sand ride far easier and opens up more ride time and places.

Salty salt water, just try to avoid submerging your bike! Rinsing after, even if you didn't soak it in the water is required to preserve the components.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2020
    circling back on Big Fat Larry. If I put that on the front, what tire should I put on the rear? Does it matter that it is a Surly tire on the rear? Could I do 2 BG Larrys on front and rear?

Rippin da fAt
    circling back on Big Fat Larry. If I put that on the front, what tire should I put on the rear? Does it matter that it is a Surly tire on the rear? Could I do 2 BG Larrys on front and rear?
    If you can find a reasonable price on a pair, I'd do em on both ends in a heartbeat provided I had a good sand ride destination nearby. If you cannot get your hands on em, I would say Jumbo Jim 4.8 or Knard 4.8. Any tire destined for my fatbike will be 120 TPI, folding.
    Doctor recommended...

turtles make me hot
    One of my friends has 4.8 Knards front and back on 80mm rims on one of his fat bikes. He weighs about 175 pounds and he glides effortlessly down the beach for miles. Its actually cool to watch.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2020

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'd go with Weinmann DHL80 rims and lace it to whatever hub you wish.

Rippin da fAt
    Those are a little more than I'd be willing to shell for. AlexRims or Surly perhaps. They can be had for around 85 bux!

Quote Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
    I'd go with Weinmann DHL80 rims and lace it to whatever hub you wish.
    Put the bong down, Matt! Those are fine for Walmart Direct bikes tho'!!
    Doctor recommended...

turtles make me hot
    I don't believe any of the Weinmann rims are tubeless.

And that Fatback rim is SILLY expensive. If you want a really good tubeless 80mm rim, get a Surly My Other Brother Darryl. 150 apiece.

If you can make do with 70mm or 90mm, Alex Blizzerks are the way to go. The 70mm comes in well under 100 dollars.
    Alex makes the rims for Surly so the tubeless is great on all of them.
    I like turtles

Rippin da fAt
    I don't believe any of the Weinmann rims are tubeless.

And that Fatback rim is SILLY expensive. If you want a really good tubeless 80mm rim, get a Surly My Other Brother Darryl. 150 apiece.

If you can make do with 70mm or 90mm, Alex Blizzerks are the way to go. The 70mm comes in well under 100 dollars.
    Alex makes the rims for Surly so the tubeless is great on all of them.
    Pfft! NY, they are 82 each on universal's site! I paid 75 each for my Blizzerk 27.5 x 70's
    fat bike for the beach 2020 (new england beaches)-img_1395.jpg
    Mid fat incoming!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2020
    what is the difference between this recommendation and the recommendations below to get a big fat larry or jumbo jim? is the idea that bf larry and JJ are NOT tubeless, but that i would make them tubeless when i receive them? and these other brands are selling the tubeless versions.

Were all you guys assuming I would make BF and JJ tubeless in order for them to be so amazing?

turtles make me hot
    First of all, forget about Big Fat Larry. It's no mas. Surly Knard 4.8 is the suitable sand replacement. It's actually very good on sand.
    It isn't the tires we're talking about. It's the rims. Some rims are much better at it than others.
    I believe your Mayor came with Mulefuts, correct? Excellent tubeless. Knard or Jumbo Jim will work just fine.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2020
    but what about larry? ha. the spec for rsd build 2 says 100mm rims allowed. they told me i need to make tubeless tires. i did buy the JJ , it appears they are tubeless in amazon q&a, althought this descriptino from mfg web site suggests liteskin i sno

Tubeless Easy version: ADDIX Speedgrip (blue). Liteskin version: ADDIX Speedgrip (blue).

Rippin da fAt
    JJ is tubeless capable. While it has the ability, it is not required.

What we were recommending was other rims that are tubeless ready since you can ride with lower tire pressure without issue. Sand and beaches, you do not want to ride with stiff tires, you want them somewhat soft so they squish some when you get on the bike. The reason for this is to make the tire wider and longer at the point of contact as this will allow the tire to float or stay on top of the sand without sinking in. Sinking into the sand will make pedaling more difficult than staying on top.

Things to consider...

1.Rider weight. (bike weight is assumed)
    2. Tire pressure.
    3. Get a tire pump that you can carry with you on your rides! Lezyne XL or HV, Zefal Mountain Morph are good choices.

This tire pressure thing is something you need to experiment with. Fatbikes are in their own class, unlike any other bike out there. This is due to the massive air volume of the tires as well as terrain they are rock stars at riding on.

Don't get into the tube/tubeless thing at this point! Don't worry about wheel changes either. The Mayor comes with a good wheelset that is tubeless ready. Go out and ride this bike, get in the groove with it and learn how it behaves. Fatbikes have a little learning curve to them, so don't get caught up in making changes at this point.
    How much do you weigh, finnstones? This will help us guide you with setting tire pressure to begin with.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2020
    cool. i weight 150lbs.

Rippin da fAt
    cool. i weight 150lbs.
    Streets and comfortable ride, 6-8 psi. Sand and beaches, 4-5 psi. You may want to go lower for conditions such as sugar sand.
    I am a beanpole @165 #'s and refuse to run more than 8 psi for 4.8's.

Again, you need to feel a fatbike's ride! At 12 psi, I thought the ride quality was like a road bike on an italian cobblestone road, horrific!
    Doctor recommended...

turtles make me hot
    165? 150?!!?

Damn. You guys could ride with .5 psi.
    I like turtles

Rippin da fAt
    165? 150?!!?

Damn. You guys could ride with .5 psi.
    Well, Yaaa!! My Bud/Lou have rarely seen more than 5 psi and mostly 3/4. They are so soft and supple from being ridden with wrinkly sidewalls that they perform exceptionally in the snow. Jumbo Jim liteskin 4.8's are in the 3/4 range for sand as well and max pressure of 5/7. The JJ's are super soft and supple from the sand and early snow riding as well. Awesome tires, indeed!!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I am also in MA, Western MA to be more precise. I'm riding a Motobecane I got from a friend. I had a 29er and wanted a fat bike and he had a fat bike but didn't want it anymore so I picked it up and sold my 29er. The Motobecane has some upgrades but it rides good and is super fun. I read it year round in all conditions. I paid $500 for it.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Picked up a new Trek Farley-5 last year for your price range. Yeah I know...big box Trek mfg...but it has 27.5 rims and the larger wheel does great for me in the sand for riding the beaches around New England. The Farley is my only experience with FBís so FWIW. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    My 6 year old Minnesota 3.0 has 4,000+ beach miles and rolls on shaved BFLs at any where from 4-25 psi depending where and how fast on the beach I want to ride. My best was 16.5 miles in 65 minutes. At 4-8 psi Iím in the soft stuff at 3-5 mph. Bike was $1200 at the time. Iíve spent that on mods as is pretty typical but still rolls with original rims, hubs, frame, brakes, seat-post, fork. Been through a dozen chains, three BBS, rear D, front cogs.

fat bike for the beach 2020 (new england beaches)-cd0bec74-32f3-4594-9a74-349eb70c44ca.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    what is the difference between this recommendation and the recommendations below to get a big fat larry or jumbo jim? is the idea that bf larry and JJ are NOT tubeless, but that i would make them tubeless when i receive them? and these other brands are selling the tubeless versions.

Were all you guys assuming I would make BF and JJ tubeless in order for them to be so amazing?
    All versions of JJ are tubeless ready. As for BFL, they are a rare find since being discontinued by Surly. The BFL will tubeless just fine but would do so more readily with a proper tubeless bead.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2020
    hey guys, what is a good bike bump to use with the jumbo jim tires?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jseis View Post
    My 6 year old Minnesota 3.0 has 4,000+ beach miles..
    Congrats on keeping the bike functional with that much beach use. I have only a few hundred beach miles on mine, and can see and feel a bit of degradation after almost every ride.

Rippin da fAt
    hey guys, what is a good bike bump to use with the jumbo jim tires?
    Either Zefal Mountain Morph or Lezyne Micro Floor Drive XL.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bholio2 View Post
    Congrats on keeping the bike functional with that much beach use. I have only a few hundred beach miles on mine, and can see and feel a bit of degradation after almost every ride.
    Get a 2 gallon pump garden sprayer. Rinse it off at the end of your ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    For keeping things clean I have a water port on my Jeep. I use it all the time. Washing hands, cleaning off fishing wading boots, mud off bikes, cleaning out parts of a canoe, dishes at camp, etc...

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorsBen View Post
    For keeping things clean I have a water port on my Jeep. I use it all the time. Washing hands, cleaning off fishing wading boots, mud off bikes, cleaning out parts of a canoe, dishes at camp, etc...
    Where are da pix? I can imagine a small tank and pump arrangement that could do a stupid simple utility as you are mentioning.
    Doctor recommended...