Fat bike in the back of SUV- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Fat bike in the back of SUV

I currently have a Nissan pathfinder 2013 and looking to replace it in the near future.

Right now I am able to put my Trek Farley 5 (2018) into it with one of the back seat up no problem (with the front wheel still installed.

What other SUV would a fat bike fit inside with the front wheel still installed?

Share your experience.

Thank you!

Rocking on a Rocky
    My Farley fits in my Escape both back seats down or one seat with front wheel off.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Fat bike fits in my Rav4 with one back seat flat and a child seat in the other back seat.
    it's a challenge some of us are ultimately worthy of.

mtbr member
    Highlander is similar to your Pathfinder as far as bike fit goes.

Why not take some measurements of the inside of your Pathfinder when configured to carry a bike. Then take a tape measure shopping.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    Highlander is similar to your Pathfinder as far as bike fit goes.

Why not take some measurements of the inside of your Pathfinder when configured to carry a bike. Then take a tape measure shopping.
    Good idea!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    Fat bike fits in my Rav4 with one back seat flat and a child seat in the other back seat.
    This is ideal for me. I usually ride after work then pick up my child and the bike is still in the back of my car.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by manteufel View Post
    I currently have a Nissan pathfinder 2013 and looking to replace it in the near future.

Right now I am able to put my Trek Farley 5 (2018) into it with one of the back seat up no problem (with the front wheel still installed.

What other SUV would a fat bike fit inside with the front wheel still installed?

Share your experience.

Thank you!
    Simplified approach, take your bike car shopping. Letting a bike choose the car will make the dealer scratch their heads in disbelief but what better way to ensure fitment... Real world testing reveals unseen constraints that a measuring tape might miss.

Buyer: Well, the bike hasta fit!
    Dealer: Are you serious?
    Buyer: As a heart attack...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Buyer: Well, the bike hasta fit!
    Dealer: Are you serious?
    Buyer: Do I look serious? (serious face)

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Never had a problem fitting a bike in my Suburbans.

Or a couch, refrigerator, motorcycle...
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post

Why even bother with anything else other than a Suburban?

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Here is someone who has done the legwork and documented for us:

https://www.fatbikerepublic.com/2019...CEBUxXwPWPZJNw

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post

I rented one the other week, huge! Drove nice though.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Honda Pilot, swallows either of my large fat-bikes with large tires no problem. 2nd and 3rd row seating fold totally flat, makes for a big cargo area. Being able to transport it inside in the winter is an important advantage for me. They are bigger than they look IMO, since the older ones look like a swollen CR-V.

I'd be very suspicious of claims with smaller vehicles, IMO significant monkey motion is needed and with studded tires you tend to rip up the interior pretty fast. Get a little grease on seats and interior and it'll never come out. I lay down a giant blanket and do some towels, but there's enough space to do this without getting danger-close to the walls/sides. I wouldn't want anything smaller than this (for this purpose).

It's also quite literally the most non-descript vehicle ever. I never even noticed them before, and now I notice they are like 1 in every 10 vehicles. If you are going to rob a bank, get a grey honda pilot.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly I Ride View Post
    Why even bother with anything else other than a Suburban?
    Things rule.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Simplified approach, take your bike car shopping...
    I took car seats into the dealership when my kids were younger. Was interested in finding the smallest vehicle that could adequately fit them and adults in front seats comfortably. Went from car to car. Salesmen were shocked and I eventually had a following of other parents looking on and taking notes of my findings.

Clean your bike before going in and it should be fine.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I rented one the other week, huge! Drove nice though.
    I drove a 4wd one for the USFS a bunch of years ago. Not my favorite vehicle for driving on narrow, rugged forest roads. I high centered it out in the middle of BFE. Thank goodness it was equipped with a high lift jack and some shovels and such so my crew and I could get ourselves unstuck without having to rely on a very embarrassing radio call.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I drove a 4wd one for the USFS a bunch of years ago. Not my favorite vehicle for driving on narrow, rugged forest roads. I high centered it out in the middle of BFE. Thank goodness it was equipped with a high lift jack and some shovels and such so my crew and I could get ourselves unstuck without having to rely on a very embarrassing radio call.
    Proper gear for the activity is not an option! Lest ya wanna call a backcountry extriaction service that charges a premium to do the deed.

Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    I took car seats into the dealership when my kids were younger. Was interested in finding the smallest vehicle that could adequately fit them and adults in front seats comfortably. Went from car to car. Salesmen were shocked and I eventually had a following of other parents looking on and taking notes of my findings.

Clean your bike before going in and it should be fine.
    Makes sense but did your bike wear a seatbelt?
    Mud and drama free riding is good stuff! 300k on the 4Runner and goin strong.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

turtles make me hot
    I have a Suburban. My XL bikes will fit in the back with only the third row folded down or removed.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I have been able to fit my fat bike in Pathfinder, Escape and Explorer very easily w/ front wheel on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Makes sense but did your bike wear a seatbelt?
    Not sure I follow. Point was, don't be afraid to take whatever you want to put in the vehicle to the dealers to test fit. Funny looks be damned.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ddoh View Post
    I have been able to fit my fat bike in Pathfinder, Escape and Explorer very easily w/ front wheel on.
    Ok, I really want to know how. I rented an escape a few weeks back and I couldn't fit my XC bike with 120mm fork in there without taking the wheel off, this is with the seatpost compressed. I also had a 100mm fork on the vacation that I had installed for a few days and I could only fit that with some crazy monkey motion, rear tire pressed up against the seat and front right seat all the way forward.

These are the claims that I really start to doubt. A fat-bike with 4.5 tires? No dropper? Decently wide handlebars for fat-bike leverage to move those massive wheels? Pics?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'd be willing to bet a lot of the posters here missed the part about leaving the front wheel on. On the other hand, how hard is it to take off the front wheel?
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    Ditto. 2010 Rav4. On-One Fatty w rigid fork.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Ok, I really want to know how. I rented an escape a few weeks back and I couldn't fit my XC bike with 120mm fork in there without taking the wheel off, this is with the seatpost compressed. I also had a 100mm fork on the vacation that I had installed for a few days and I could only fit that with some crazy monkey motion, rear tire pressed up against the seat and front right seat all the way forward.

These are the claims that I really start to doubt. A fat-bike with 4.5 tires? No dropper? Decently wide handlebars for fat-bike leverage to move those massive wheels? Pics?
    You're right. I was thinking of my MTB in the Escape (Explorer is no problem for fatty). I'll try my fatty in the Escape tonite and let you know.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Bikes, kids, hauling capacity. Buy a van. Sienna has about the same ground clearance as the Pathfinder. But much more room.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Subaru Forester handles my XL ICT but I do have to take my front wheel off.
    Both rear seats down.
    You would be amazed what I have hauled in my Subie!

Suburban's are roomy but suck on gas mileage.......

k
    97' Brodie Expresso
    00' Turner RFX
    08' Turner RFX
    13' Surly Troll
    15' Surly ICT

Elitest thrill junkie
    Here it is in a Honda Pilot, but, and this is big "but", this is with 65mm rims and "4.0" summer tires that are realistically about 3.5", this is nowhere near the mass of my RSD Mayor with it's 4.8 summer tires, let alone with the Johnny 5s, which are difficult to keep from scraping the pillar in the back when putting it in without taking the wheel off. I found a pretty good method, but not before scratching the pillar quite a few times, and I have to place towels over the tires to protect the rest of the interior from the studs in the winter. The good part though is that it fits without too much fuss, this is a very big cargo area, this is 2 sets of seats folded flat, I can transport any of my bikes this way in this vehicle, but almost everything I rent won't do it even for my smaller mountain bikes, the escape, nissans, etc.

Fat bike in the back of SUV-019c0c834f937c80e63c5b5912c53c6f736ae8e2fb.jpg

Nutrailer
    Jayem

Do you always put the bike in 'tail' first? If so is there a reason?
    What a perfect waste of time

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    2016 Chevy Traverse can take a XL Mukluk with both wheels on. 27.5 rims with 3.8 minions which is very close to 26" rims with 4.4 JJs. Its close and if not careful studded tires will leave marks.
    2012 Subaru Impreza will take the same bike with the front wheel off, and driver seat moved forward just a bit.

A van will take multiple bikes standing up with the front wheel off using a through axle bike mount bolted to plywood. Seats on or up.

I also load bike rear tire first. Just seems to be easier because the front tire and handle bars can be controlled.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I have put my large Bucksaw and Alaskan in the following BMWs for the past 4 years.
    2006 330ci
    2007 3er wagon
    2013 X1
    I take off the front wheel and put is disc side down then put the the bike in (back tire first, derailleurs up) towards the driver seat and turn the handlebars flat so it goes diagonal.
    In the wagon and X1 I can put 2 bikes in like this one on top of the other with a moving tarp in between. This will not work on a MB GLA 250 btw which I learned on my most recent bikecation with rental bike/car

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Here it is in a Honda Pilot, but, and this is big "but", this is with 65mm rims and "4.0" summer tires that are realistically about 3.5", this is nowhere near the mass of my RSD Mayor with it's 4.8 summer tires, let alone with the Johnny 5s, which are difficult to keep from scraping the pillar in the back when putting it in without taking the wheel off. I found a pretty good method, but not before scratching the pillar quite a few times, and I have to place towels over the tires to protect the rest of the interior from the studs in the winter. The good part though is that it fits without too much fuss, this is a very big cargo area, this is 2 sets of seats folded flat, I can transport any of my bikes this way in this vehicle, but almost everything I rent won't do it even for my smaller mountain bikes, the escape, nissans, etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	019c0c834f937c80e63c5b5912c53c6f736ae8e2fb.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	225.2 KB 
ID:	1252724
    Nice, lots of room!

aka bOb
    4 Door Wrangler works great with the 80/20 split rear bench and fork mount, fits with top on as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat bike in the back of SUV-20181018_135722.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikbur View Post
    Here is someone who has done the legwork and documented for us:

https://www.fatbikerepublic.com/2019...CEBUxXwPWPZJNw
    Not all heroes wear capes

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks, good to know,going to be shopping for a 4dr Wrangler in a few months. I will not put my bikes on back of any vehicle to be at risk of errant cell phone users. Right now my daily driver is a Promaster van(not selling,converting to more camping setup once paid in full),great having all that room but wanting another 4wd for bad weather(and a bit of play). I had a 05 Grand Cherokee that sucked for interior space,I could get the Wo inside with both wheels off but I had such big tires that the spare had to be carried inside the hatch area since it wouldn't fit underneath.

The pushrod 3.8 version is interesting for it's simplicity,but I really like the power of the Pentastar in my Promaster I will just have to test drive them both. 33inch tires are as big as I will go for sure,previously had a TJ with 4cyl, Q78Swampers and 4.88 gears,could barely make 40mph (-: Good thing I had a Ram 3500 and a trailer!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JackWare View Post
    Jayem

Do you always put the bike in 'tail' first? If so is there a reason?
    This is how I load my bikes into my '15 Forester. Once you get the hang of it, and clock the pedals correctly, you can roll it right in on the rear tire.

I ride large frame bikes so front tires always come off. I have heard that small/medium frames might fit fully assembled.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yeah, it's a lot easier to get in and out IMO, I can basically roll it out. If the bike was loaded front-wheel-first, when I try to take it out from the rear the front wheel and handlebars are going to turn and jam in the vehicle. When loading, I set it down about halfway in and then I grab the fork and bars and I "rock" the bike side to side while pushing back, bouncing it off the seat/post. This allows me to move the bike backwards in the cargo area without having to lift it in the air. This is my advanced technique that also avoids gouging up stuff with the studs. I have a massive blanket in there that has a lot of extra area that I can pull up and over to protect surfaces.

The reason for all of this is in the winter, a warm bike makes a difference, plus, you may have water-bottles and other stuff on there that you don't want cold-soaked/frozen just by driving to the trailhead. You also don't want to be fussing with removing axles and the such (again, in the cold). Also don't have to worry about pogies and other stuff flying off (as they occasionally do around here).

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    after reading all these responses, i really want a minivan. the versatility and interior space is second to none. at this point of my life i don't need a caper van, so a sprinter/full size van is just a more expensive option that won't be fully utilized.

there is that soccer mom stigma that is carried with them, but in the end who really gives a sh!t? i am going to go drive the odyssey and sienna this week.

*edit* the wife gives a sh!t. she won't drive one if i get it.

Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    after reading all these responses, i really want a minivan. the versatility and interior space is second to none. at this point of my life i don't need a caper van, so a sprinter/full size van is just a more expensive option that won't be fully utilized.

there is that soccer mom stigma that is carried with them, but in the end who really gives a sh!t? i am going to go drive the odyssey and sienna this week.

#vanlife. I agree. You canít beat a Van for hauling bikes, keeping them out of the salt in the winter, hauling materials for trail days, they are great for mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Frame size matters more than wheel/tire size but where there's a will there's a way. A few months ago my Ram 1500 pickup was damaged from a wreck and in the shop for 2 weeks. I was given a loaner 'rollerskate'...2018 Toyota Yaris hatchback.

My XL framed Process 153 bike is HUGE...I'm 6'4" and it's way taller than me when I stand it up on the back wheel. I have to fit it 'kitty-corner' in my 6'6" truck bed to close tailgate.

With a bit of creativity (and lots of interior adjustments), I could remove front wheel, put dropper all the way down and just barely shut the hatch. The car became a 1 person vehicle but it fit!
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I currently have only a sports car and use a trunk-mounted bicycle carrier on the rare occasions when I want to transport the bicycle somewhere. However, I'm thinking of incorporating some more extensive road travel into my activities and I want to bring the bike along.

For me, something like a properly set up Ford Transit Connect is probably the right solution. I measured one set up as a commercial panel van and found that set up with tandem Driver-Passenger seats on the left side, I could fit my Specialized Fatboy Comp Carbon inside on the right with no need to remove wheels or twist handle bars.

The Transit Connect is small and reasonably economical, set up with appropriate sound proofing for good road quiet and a decent sound system it will serve the function well. Also, a three to five year old example in excellent condition is available at a pretty reasonable price.

mtbr member
    May 2010

We test drove them all. Honda rode better on-road. However, the Sienna had 2+ inches of more ground clearance. Yeah, I know its a van, but some camp spots, we have had to travel on dirt/gravel roads and appreciated the height. Sienna also has AWD, so it was a no-brainer for us, living in a snow state.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I used to have a Hyundai Elantra hatchback. I could fit my medium salsa bucksaw inside without removing the front wheel. Although the process was hateful.

I had two car seats in the back, but if I undid one and stacked it on the other I could fold the larger portion of the 60:40 rear seat, and get the bike in.

I kept a tarp in the car in an effort to keep it clean. I put the passenger headrest support through one of the grommets before spreading it out.

It was as much of an inconvenience as it sounds like. I spent a lot of time cursing, as I was riding 3 times a week.

Aside from trying to be careful, I never did find a consistent way to successful prevent studded tires from scratching up the interior.

Iím now driving a pick-up with a tonneau cover.

When thereís no salt on the road I put the bike in uncovered. During the winter I close up the cover to protect the bike, but I have to take the front wheel off to get the cover closed.

Another advantage is that with the bike and gear in the back under the cover, no one knows itís in there.

Iíve never had a truck before. The cost of operation is significantly higher than the hatchback, but I donít see myself going back anytime soon.

mtbr member

I have been trying to convince my wife to get an awd mini van for years. She won't drive one either. So... I spend a bit of time wedging 2 Bucksaws into the back of her Ford Explorer. It can be done (front wheels off) but is a pain. A van would be so much nicer!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    made this for going places..if my wife goes to i use a small trailer
    Fat bike in the back of SUV-img_7388-2.jpg

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketexmex View Post
    #vanlife. I agree. You canít beat a Van for hauling bikes, keeping them out of the salt in the winter, hauling materials for trail days, they are great for mountain biking.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2:01 View Post
    ... However, the Sienna had 2+ inches of more ground clearance....Sienna also has AWD, so it was a no-brainer for us, living in a snow state.
    this damn thread just cost me $40k... picking up an AWD Sienna Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by letitsnow View Post
    I have been trying to convince my wife to get an awd mini van for years. She won't drive one either. So... I spend a bit of time wedging 2 Bucksaws into the back of her Ford Explorer. It can be done (front wheels off) but is a pain. A van would be so much nicer!
    my wife buckled after i showed her the sunroof, heated seats and navigation...
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

roots, rocks, rhythm
    I agree van life would be awesome!
    But when I talk van I mean a Sprinter which is my future dream ride.
    I drive one for work and love driving it but it is not mine but the company's........
    97' Brodie Expresso
    00' Turner RFX
    08' Turner RFX
    13' Surly Troll
    15' Surly ICT

mtbr member
    May 2010

Nice! You will love it, especially on road trips. One note: Our stock runflats wore out 17k miles. I hated the ride on them anyway. And they're expensive. We are now running Michelin Defenders which ride much better and performs better in snow. Not run flats, but Toyotacare has free towing for the first two years and now we've got AAA.

I also like that it's got sensors up the wazoo. Especially when the wife is driving. Blindside alert, cross-traffic alert, back up, etc. We don't have TSS like you've got, though. That system works really well (I have it in my truck). Radar cruise is awesome on a long haul.

beer thief
    My lady's Element easily takes two bikes with front wheels on but we ride small frames.

I went big about a year ago, sold my beloved Eurovan Westfalia and have spent much of my spare time outfitting this rig. It works very well for my needs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat bike in the back of SUV-img_4557-medium-.jpg  

Fat bike in the back of SUV-img_4531-medium-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Nice, this is tempting.