Thread: Fat Bike Advice

mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Fat Bike Advice

Decided on getting a fat bike, would like to go this direction rather than a plus-sized.

Want it in part to continue commuting through our snowy winters here, but also as an all around trail bike.
    Will be coming from a 2013 Diamondback Overdrive Sport, which is all I've ever ridden, so I'm not used to an expensive bike by any means.

Was hoping to spend less than $1000, looking used for the most part but definitely open to new.

Important factors to me in order of decreasing importance would be...
    Quality Frame
    Tubeless Compatible
    Compatible with running skinnier 27.5 or 29 tires
    If rigid, mounts for front rack on fork
    1x or 2x drivetrain
    Quality components

Don't mind upgrading things in the future, but I'd like the bike to be as flexible as possible given that's my biggest draw to the fat bike frame.

Am I naive to think that I'll be able to get the things that are important to me in a sub-$1000 bike?

There's a 2017 Diamondback El Oso Acero posted in my area, which led me to look at this line of bikes. Have just heard people have had difficulty in the conversion to tubeless with the stock wheelset.

Salsa Mutluk (unknown year) was also posted recently, could be a good option.

Open to any an all advice! Really appreciate your guys' time!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    The steel diamondback is $750 new. That's really a lot of bike for the price. 2x9 isn't great, i'm sure the hubs are pretty low quality and such, but considering I could have one at my door for under $600, I'd seriously consider it. I have a Surly ICT and it's not 4x the bike, but it did cost over 4x as much! I do love riding my fat bike, but I ride my plus bike more now, so having the fanciest fat bike isn't the priority it was when the fat bike was my only mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by aconboy13 View Post
    Was hoping to spend less than $1000, looking used for the most...
    Should be possible. For example:

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/lis...1&price=..1000
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Start from the pinned thread on top "Fatbikes under $1000 bucks". Lots of info in there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    The steel diamondback is $750 new. That's really a lot of bike for the price. 2x9 isn't great, i'm sure the hubs are pretty low quality and such, but considering I could have one at my door for under $600, I'd seriously consider it. I have a Surly ICT and it's not 4x the bike, but it did cost over 4x as much! I do love riding my fat bike, but I ride my plus bike more now, so having the fanciest fat bike isn't the priority it was when the fat bike was my only mountain bike.
    Yeah the guy who had the El Oso de Acero (actually listed it as de Blanco) had it listed for $900. Surprised to find out when I looked on the DB website that the El Uno is basically the same bike, slightly updated for 750 new. Are you talking $600 with the DB Corporate discount or by some other means?

I guess a part of my follow-up question for you guys having ridden fat bikes, is how much should I be worried about the things I have listed, especially being able to convert to tubeless.
    I definitely don't mind upgrading in the future (part of the fun), but I don't want to be stuck with a bike that I'm extremely limited on things that I'll be able to upgrade.

Also the Mukluk in my area looks to be a 2011. Has it listed for $999.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Thank you, definitely took a stroll through here before posting.