fastest tire on pavement?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 33 of 33
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    46

    fastest tire on pavement?

    what's the fastest tire suitable for a 65mm rim?

    V Speedster?
    Black Floyd?
    Other?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Johanneson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    248
    Speedster and ML's all last year, that combo rolls fast.
    Actually, a Sunlite Crusher 60 tpi wire bead @ 28psi tubeless. The white sidewalls do it for me.
    Last edited by Johanneson; 01-14-2015 at 06:30 AM.

  3. #3
    Oslo, Norway
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    801
    I ran the 120tpi Speedster tubeless at 32psi last year, and it made my road bike feel slow in comparison. They roll insanely fast. Also way fast on gravel.
    Note: while ultra fast in the dry, they are not as fast in the wet, as they must push a lot a water out of the way.

    Going down the hill:

  4. #4
    Oslo, Norway
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    801
    And up the same hill again:

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    79
    I run the Floyds @30psi on a Alfine equipped Pugs. I've sprinted it over 30mph on the flats. I can maintain 18mph over 10 miles at a clip.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Johanneson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    248
    Espen,
    What wheel were you using? I preferred a bit more air but it was hard the tape over the cutouts of my ML. I went with the wire bead so as not to have to worry about blowing the tire off. I Haven't looked yet but am hoping there is a carbon 65mm that will handle 30psi.

  7. #7
    Oslo, Norway
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    801
    Quote Originally Posted by Johanneson View Post
    Espen,
    What wheel were you using? I preferred a bit more air but it was hard the tape over the cutouts of my ML. I went with the wire bead so as not to have to worry about blowing the tire off. I Haven't looked yet but am hoping there is a carbon 65mm that will handle 30psi.
    Used 80mm carbon rims from Edge Design.
    Same wheelset/bike that ran away from road bikes in the summer is now used to climb frozen waterfalls:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=synsozdV34I

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    304
    Wish the speedsters were available cheap in the UK ): Want to get a pair to replace my Larry/Husker DU combo for the summer!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Johanneson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    Used 80mm carbon rims from Edge Design.
    Same wheelset/bike that ran away from road bikes in the summer is now used to climb frozen waterfalls:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=synsozdV34I
    Thanks, I found there to be little difference between ME on this setup and ME on a road bike. Mostly slower due to my bad aero upright fatbike position which is meaningless at 5-10mph but rather significant in the 17-20mph range. Plus a small weight penalty on big climbs and spinning out early at 33ish mph with my drive train. It works a lot better than people would imagine, as you know.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tunalic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    559
    Don't think you can go wrong with either tire. My V-8s are pretty fast but the Floyds weigh nearly 2.5 lbs less.

    2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer (27.5+ Alfine 8 spd)

  11. #11
    Oslo, Norway
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    801
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficerFriendly View Post
    Wish the speedsters were available cheap in the UK ): Want to get a pair to replace my Larry/Husker DU combo for the summer!
    I think On-One has their own branded version of them, at a great price.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tunalic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    559
    2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer (27.5+ Alfine 8 spd)

  13. #13
    MPE
    MPE is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    90
    I just put a pair of Vee Speedsters on my Minnesota 2.0 and took a 10 mile pavement ride. They are stealth tires compared to the monster truck hum of the Vee Missions. I can actually ride up behind someone and they don't hear me coming. I had them aired at a little over 20 psi and they feel really fast. I bought the 72 tpi versions. I am doing a charity road ride in early February and I think these are going to work out just fine.

    Take care,
    Mike
    Last edited by MPE; 01-14-2015 at 01:17 PM.

  14. #14
    sluice box
    Reputation: Co-opski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    979
    Innova Spyder Tire @20psi

    PM Tommysea I think he uses them.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    124
    just curious why are you riding these on road?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Johanneson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    248
    It's reasonable to question anything but it seems to me that asking why someone chooses to recreate in a certain way reveals a serious lack of imagination. Think of the weirdest thing someone is doing with his spare cash and leisure time. If you could talk to that guy about it I doubt you would ever hear " I do it because I think it sucks and is a bore".

  17. #17
    Oslo, Norway
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    801
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Bain View Post
    just curious why are you riding these on road?
    The videos in post #3 and #4 above should provide a clue as to why.
    Riding away from roadies is good fun on any bike, but even more so when the task is performed on a fatbike.

  18. #18
    nvphatty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    The videos in post #3 and #4 above should provide a clue as to why.
    Riding away from roadies is good fun on any bike, but even more so when the task is performed on a fatbike.
    haha, right! they were cruzing not concerned with speed at all. BTW what happened when the roadie you passed going up caught back up and passed you?? musta been a fat flat...

  19. #19
    Thingamejigger
    Reputation: Flying_Scotsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,171
    Just for a little divesrsity, I run Knards on Marge Lite's and they roll pretty well. Not as fast as the Black Floyd perhaps, but would give a little better off road ability, should you see a nice piece of single track that needs shredding!

  20. #20
    Oslo, Norway
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    801
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    haha, right! they were cruzing not concerned with speed at all. BTW what happened when the roadie you passed going up caught back up and passed you?? musta been a fat flat...
    Hill intervals at lactic acid threshold, so nobody were cruising. I was on my 7th interval (versus 2nd for the other guys (teammates)) and can't sprint for the life of me. Even though the bike was approx. 9.5kg (20.9lb) right there, the rotating weight means that it accelerates rather slowly compared to my 12lb bikes. However, new 400g rims and the new 750g 4.0's will certainly help with that. Putting together a bike that will be 17.9lbs with 4.0s on 80mm rims, and will use that on at least one National level dirt hillclimb this summer. Even though it is more than 5lbs heavier than my regular bike, it will have an advantage on the long stretches of very loose and steep stuff, where regular sized tires struggle bigtime.

    Ok, back to the road. Due to the rotating inertia, I'm still well faster going uphill on my 12.5lb road bike, especially on a curvy climb, but on flatter ground, and going downhill, the fatbike on the Speedsters is amazing. Time after time I have rolled away from much heavier (I'm around 145lbs) riders on high end road bikes with high profile carbon wheels. Since frontal area is much bigger, it must be some kind of aero affect that lowers the Cd, with the wide front tire acting like a fairing, sending the airflow to the sides of the bike, creating a wake in the aerodynamically dirty area around the pedals/cranks. Also, since the spokes are so much inboard from the outside of the tires, ie very little airflow around the spokes, creating a disc wheel effect.
    A fat knobby has a lot of aero drag, but a fat slick has very litle, especially with pattern like the Speedsters, the inverted thread likely has some kind of dimple effect like what is seen on a golf ball. This is stuff that needs to tested to believe it, since it goes against everything that one would expect, but looking at the airflow, etc. things start to make sense.
    The roadies hate it, though. Time after time they will stop at the bottom of he hill and check their brake pads for rubbing, etc. Good fun it is.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jpfurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    511
    I like my BFL's on pavement, but I'm also not racing roadies. Anything above 15psi and they roll really nice. It's got the high volume and fun factor, with just enough bite for the off road sections.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    I think On-One has their own branded version of them, at a great price.
    Thank you! I got so excited but the price isn't too good, they're 40 each, but 20 for the 29er 2.3" version I was about to buy a pair when I saw 20!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tunalic View Post
    Thanks for the link (:

    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    The videos in post #3 and #4 above should provide a clue as to why.
    Riding away from roadies is good fun on any bike, but even more so when the task is performed on a fatbike.
    Nailed it xD

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    124

    Hope

    Quote Originally Posted by Johanneson View Post
    It's reasonable to question anything but it seems to me that asking why someone chooses to recreate in a certain way reveals a serious lack of imagination. Think of the weirdest thing someone is doing with his spare cash and leisure time. If you could talk to that guy about it I doubt you would ever hear " I do it because I think it sucks and is a bore".
    If I were to use my imagination it would have come up something like this.

    Espen W

    The videos in post #3 and #4 above should provide a clue as to why.
    Riding away from roadies is good fun on any bike, but even more so when the task is performed on a fatbike.
    But i was trying to give yall the benefit of the doubt that it was for some practical reason and not related to boosting your own ego.

  24. #24
    nvphatty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    Hill intervals at lactic acid threshold, so nobody were cruising. I was on my 7th interval (versus 2nd for the other guys (teammates)
    wow what a story... next you'll post STRAVA & KOM stuff.

  25. #25
    Oslo, Norway
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    801
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    wow what a story... next you'll post STRAVA & KOM stuff.
    Nah, Strava is for girls

  26. #26
    bigger than you.
    Reputation: Gigantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,068
    i'm doing the LuLackaWyCo Hundo this spring on my fatty. With 105 miles and +9000 feet of climbing, Vee Speedsters will be perfect.

  27. #27
    Oslo, Norway
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    801
    The downside of the Speedsters is that the inverted, honeycomb like center thread picks up gravel, and over time, the gravel works its way through the casing and causes flats. This is not such a big issue if ridden on paved roads, but if the tire is used on gravel as well (it is ultra fast there too), prepare for (many) flats.
    Major struggle with this over the past summer, even when running tubeless with Stan's goo. The speed was too addictive, though, so I kept them on the bike.
    Vee is working on a new design that will not have that issue, but it remains to be seen if they are as fast.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    7,291
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    ....Since frontal area is much bigger, it must be some kind of aero affect that lowers the Cd, with the wide front tire acting like a fairing, sending the airflow to the sides of the bike, creating a wake in the aerodynamically dirty area around the pedals/cranks. Also, since the spokes are so much inboard from the outside of the tires, ie very little airflow around the spokes, creating a disc wheel effect.
    A fat knobby has a lot of aero drag, but a fat slick has very litle, especially with pattern like the Speedsters, the inverted thread likely has some kind of dimple effect like what is seen on a golf ball...
    That's very interesting theory. As you say, it would be well worth testing it. Lots of aerodynamic stuff seems to contradict common wisdom.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Any bike, anywhere, anytime.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tundratrader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    565
    is the vee8 that bad for self steer at higher pressures? Since it is ramped it looks perfect almost for both terrains. If I just put one in back with a Larry up front how would that go? I was thinking of using a knard but this might be a little faster. My goal is to have a worthy asphalt tire setup for commenting this summer but still have enough meat to go play when I can. The Larry-f and knard-r was given to me by a wise man as the trick to try.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tunalic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by tundratrader View Post
    is the vee8 that bad for self steer at higher pressures? Since it is ramped it looks perfect almost for both terrains.

    To me the Vee 8 has less self steer the more air you put in it.
    2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer (27.5+ Alfine 8 spd)

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    I think On-One has their own branded version of them, at a great price.
    Thanks I just picked up a pair of these to replace BFL on Clownshoes for the road, working out pretty great so far!

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Freedivewi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    36
    Looking to get a pair of Black Floyd tires for summer use. Anyone know where the best price is online right now? None of my local shops have them in stock so I figured I might as well orderer them up myself if I can find a decent price.

    Thanks,

    Jon

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tunalic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedivewi View Post
    Looking to get a pair of Black Floyd tires for summer use. Anyone know where the best price is online right now? None of my local shops have them in stock so I figured I might as well orderer them up myself if I can find a decent price.
    Looks like $90 is the best and the same I paid. Universal, Jenson and where I got mine: "black floyd" - Modern Bike
    2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer (27.5+ Alfine 8 spd)

Similar Threads

  1. Fatty tire for pavement?
    By wrecognize in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-29-2014, 04:45 PM
  2. Fastest fat tire winter bike. By far.
    By Fuzz541 in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-31-2013, 09:55 PM
  3. Out of these 2 which is the fastest rolling tire?
    By Cycling Cyco in forum 29er Components
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-10-2012, 10:57 AM
  4. Fastest dh race tire???
    By Allmtnman in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-05-2012, 09:29 PM
  5. I want the lightest, fastest, grippiest tire...
    By radials in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 06-03-2011, 04:39 PM

Members who have read this thread: 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.