Fast Rolling, Light, Tough(ish) 3.8 or 4.0 -Beargrease- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2019

Fast Rolling, Light, Tough(ish) 3.8 or 4.0 -Beargrease

I've got a Beargrease which I ride around western NC here in Asheville.

It's got (stock) 45nth Husker Du 4.0 and I've had great luck with them around here. I weigh 230 and i've never torn a sidewall yet.....prolly will on next ride.

The rear is fairly bald and needs replacement (it rolls quick, hehe).

Seems like Jumbo Jim is close to 1000 grams, but many on here are really big on the Bontrager Hodag. Is there another option I should be looking at? Is the Kenda Juggernaut any good?

I'd like it to roll quickly, be on the lighter side and be able to handle rocks.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm using Surly MOBD rims and I'd like to (keep) going tubeless. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'll second the Jumbo Jim, but go with the slightly heavier snakeskin sidewalls for a bit better protection. My summer tire of choice the last 3 years for my 26" wheels.
    I've heard good things on the Hodags as well, and might be the replacement on my 27.5 wheels once the Minions wear out.
    Not much good to say about the Maxxis Minion FBF/FBR tires. They don't roll nearly as well and the sidewalls seem much too stiff even with the 120tpi.

turtles make me hot
    I've ridden Surly Ednas recently and was truly impressed at how fast they roll. They weigh 1330 grams so not exactly a lightweight but they do tubeless perfectly and seem tough.
    They're 4.3 inches. Maybe too big?
    I like turtles

WNC Native
    Hodag works great around here, I live in Brevard and have ridden Pisgah & Dupont on them. However on a 80mm rim, the Hodag doesn't leave much for rim protection. I had Hodag 3.8 the rear and Barbi 4.7 on the front with 80mm Mulefut rims. Wore the sidewalls out on the Hodag and dented the rear rim, front rim was well protected with the Barbi 4.7 at only a 100 or so grams heavier. For Pisgah roots & rocks, you would be better with something a tad bigger.
    Personally I'd suggest JJ 4.4, 4.7 Barbegazi, or the 4.3 Edna mentioned above. You could even look at a JJ 4.4 rear and Edna front.

I never was impressed with the traction on HuDus.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Started out with Hodag's went with JJ and going back to Hodag's.
    Salsa Carbon Bucksaw- Trek Farley 8

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by bcriverjunky View Post
    Started out with Hodag's went with JJ and going back to Hodag's.
    Hodags are great tires, I'm on the 27.5 version myself.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Hodag works great around here, I live in Brevard and have ridden Pisgah & Dupont on them. However on a 80mm rim, the Hodag doesn't leave much for rim protection. I had Hodag 3.8 the rear and Barbi 4.7 on the front with 80mm Mulefut rims. Wore the sidewalls out on the Hodag and dented the rear rim, front rim was well protected with the Barbi 4.7 at only a 100 or so grams heavier. For Pisgah roots & rocks, you would be better with something a tad bigger.
    Personally I'd suggest JJ 4.4, 4.7 Barbegazi, or the 4.3 Edna mentioned above. You could even look at a JJ 4.4 rear and Edna front.

I never was impressed with the traction on HuDus.
    nice. we should go ride sometime. I've buggered up my rear rim in one spot with the 4.0 Du's. I think I'm gonna try either a Hodag or a JJ out in the near future! Thanks for all the insight everyone.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by arctic slalom1 View Post
    nice. we should go ride sometime. I've buggered up my rear rim in one spot with the 4.0 Du's. I think I'm gonna try either a Hodag or a JJ out in the near future! Thanks for all the insight everyone.
    Yep, it's going to happen with 4" tires and 80mm rims. Just a matter of time.
    Check your PMs.

mtbr member
    On the left is JJ on 26x50mm. Middle is Hodag on 26x50mm. Right is Hodag on 26x80mm.Fast Rolling, Light, Tough(ish) 3.8 or 4.0 -Beargrease-img_9128.jpg
    Salsa Carbon Bucksaw- Trek Farley 8

mtbr member
    You might want to check out the Barbegazi as well,

Basically a wider version of Bontragers 3.8 Hodag,
    Very similar tread design, almost identical weight, same price.

Rolls pretty fast for a Fat tire... My choice for Summer (Trek Farley 7 with 27.5"x4.5")

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fast Rolling, Light, Tough(ish) 3.8 or 4.0 -Beargrease-hodag_barbegazi.jpg  

2020 Trek Farley 7 Roarange
    2018 Trek Farley 7 ViperRed

turtles make me hot
    I forgot about Gazis. My brother has em on his Fatback with 80mm rims. They do roll really well. He likes em.
    I like turtles

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by bcriverjunky View Post
    On the left is JJ on 26x50mm. Middle is Hodag on 26x50mm. Right is Hodag on 26x80mm.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9128.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	184.9 KB 
ID:	1289941
    JJ looks noticeably wider than the Hodag on the 50mm rims. Wish they would go ahead and make some 27.5 JJs. That said I do really like the compound of the Bonty tires, so I might stay put even if they did.