Big "T"
    Nov 2004

(updated) Farmer's Fat Bike Race Jan 14, 2012

(Updated 10/15)

On January 14, 2012 The Farm Team we will host Michigan's very first FAT BIKE race! Yeah, that's right, a snow bike race. This race will be designed for 3.7" or wider tires. We aren't elitists, though, so we'll also allow skinny bikes (with a special penalty on race day).

The Farmer's Fat Bike race will be held at Versluis Orchards, only a few miles west of downtown Grand Rapids.

The Course will include flat sections, wooded trails and two tracks.

Event Sponsors include Ada Bike Shop and Salsa Cycles. More sponsors will be announced soon.

Event registration will go online right after Halloween.

more details:
    closed course lap format
    most laps in 3 hours wins
    3 categories: Solo Fat Bike, Solo Skinny Bike, Duo Fat Bike
    discounted registration fees for fat bikes
    Fat bike owners will be encouraged to find a Fat-Bike-Less friend to race Duo!
    Awards and Prizes for top finishers in Fat Bike categories
    Beer prizes (you can't have a race without beer)
    Mukluks Demos on race day!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bon Fire during and after the race

The Farm is 4 miles west of downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan (3 hours from Chicago, 2 Hours from Detroit) and 30 miles from the Lake Michigan shore. This is in the heart of the lake effect snow belt.

This race will have a grassroots feel. Our intention is to provide an event that helps to show people how fun Fat Bikes can be, but also give people who already own them a chance to race them on a course made for Fat Tires.

The Farmer's Fat Bike Race will be very different from our usual winter cross races. And we will still be putting on a "cross" style race in February. If you can't wait till winter, check out videos from last year's snowcross races at the farm and go put your order in today for a Snow Bike, cause winter is coming and in West Michigan that means a hell of a lot of snow!!!!!

Versluis Snowcross 2011 - YouTube

Versulic Mud Race 211 - YouTube

Snowcross - YouTube
    Last edited by Scottytheoneandonly; 10-15-2011 at 07:51 AM. Reason: event details updated

Big "T"
    Nov 2004
    Edit and updates above!

Last edited by Scottytheoneandonly; 10-15-2011 at 07:50 AM.

Big "T"
    Nov 2004
    More updates above! Everything is coming together. Registration online by first week in November!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hummm tempting...10+hr drive from where I live near DC. That is much closer than a race in AK!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Say Hello To big Nate V. for me from AK.

Steve in Yakutat

Big "T"
    Nov 2004
    Update 11/2

(can't figure out how to edit the post at the top of the thread, so updated info is below)

It is official. Versluis Orchards and Ada Bike Shop will host Michigan's very first Fat Bike snow race on Saturday January 14, 2012! Organized by The Farm Team, Farmer's Fat Bike Race will follow a multilap format. Fat Bike riders will compete to log the most laps on a closed course that will take them through the rolling hills of Versluis Orchards and the surrounding woodlands. For 3 hours riders will tackle a loop that will consist of two track, single track and weather permitting, lots of snow!

We will offer categories for Solo Men and Solo Women, as well as a Duo category. If you don't own a Fat Bike, find a friend who does and enter the Duo Category! The two of you can share a bike. If you don't own a Fat Bike and you don't like to share, we will allow entrants in a seperate Solo Skinny Bike class. But be warned, we will NOT be plowing or clearing the course of snow. Last January there were 6 foot high snow drifts in the orchard! And this year Farmer's almanac says "expect plenty of snow in 2012".

On race day Salsa Cycles and Ada Bike shop will be there with a fleet of Salsa Mukluks to demo. If you've yet to ride a Fat Bike, this is your chance to test the best Fat Bike on the Market, the Salsa Mukluk. We will have a bonfire burning throughout the race to help riders and spectators keep warm. And we'll be putting up a temporary shelter in the orchard to act as a transition area for those racing Duo.

Registration will go online soon at bikereg.com We will cap preregistration at 75 people (total). If we hit 75 preregistered riders prior to January 10, 2012 there will be no day of registration. Because this is a grassroots event and we want people to have value for their money, we will charge only $30 per person for preregistration. But on race day any preregistered rider who shows up for packet pickup with a Fat Bike will get $5 of their entry fee back. That means solo Fat Bike Racers get $5 cash back. A duo team sharing a Fat Bike will get $5 cash back. And a duo team with two Fat Bikes will get $10 cash back ($5 each)!

We will offer awards to the top 3 riders/teams in each category, and we'll have a schwag drawing after the race! We will also be adding additional sponsors over the next few weeks. Check back often to see what else we have in store!

Online Registration will open on November 5 (we will post a link at that time)

more details on The Farm Team blog! Farm Team Racing: Farmer's Fat Bike Race

check back soon! we will be adding sponsors and additional info regarding the race over the next few weeks.

Big "T"
    Nov 2004
    Registration is now online at BikeReg.com

Farmer's Fat Bike Race Online Registration

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Should be a good time! Wish I could make it.
    --
    Joe Partridge

Big "T"
    Nov 2004
    what's keeping you Joe? Get on a plane and I'll make sure there's a bike here for you to race on! I'll even put you and your much younger, better looking wife (if she comes with you) up in our spare room!!

Big "T"
    Nov 2004
    we got ourselves a fancy poster! Online registration up an running. already have a few out of state registrations.

mtbr member
    Got my Surley Necromancer on order, but now considering the Moonlander. Hopefully it arrives in time for me to ride it for awhile.

Fortunately, I have a cousin in Kalamazoo I can probably stay with that weekend.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp Disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I might have to check this out on the Moonlander.....heck it's on my Mom's Birthday and she lives in GR.....

Black Sheep rising
    Quote Originally Posted by croatian_bear View Post
    I might have to check this out on the Moonlander.....heck it's on my Mom's Birthday and she lives in GR.....
    Given your position, you may be obligated to allow test rides.

I know I'd like to try it out.
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

locked - time out
    Jun 2010
    Are there more of us from MI on here than I thought?
    Who all is going to be there?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Registered 3 people last night.

Black Sheep rising
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev-Bot View Post
    Detroit area here.

Hoping to get a team-mate to do the duo.
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

Mechainc
    If anyone needs a place to stay I have a open apartment that could fit Fatties fine. No skinny tires!

Big "T"
    Nov 2004
    a couple of updates!!!!

registration is 20% full. register early to make sure you get in. we expect the race to sell out..

if you've been to our winter cross races you know that parking is limited. Farmer has been clearing more land for parking for this race.

Prizes in each category will consist of schwag from Salsa as well as local beer!!

Ada Bike Shop will be open late on Friday January 13 for packet pick-up! They'll also be offering Fat Bike and Fat Bike gear discounts that night (more info to come)

We're looking for someone who has a large Teepee or Yurt that they'd be willing to loan us for the race. PM me!

mtbr member

Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Kev-Bot View Post
    I believe there's at least a dozen of us on this board from Michigan. I jumped on this race right away. You can see who registered on the registration site for this race.

mtbr member
    I should be there with another.
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member
    I'm from Illinois and I have a cousin that lives in Michigan. I am just trying to find out their address to figure out how close they are. If fairly somewhat close, then I will definitely sign up. Hopefully, I'll have a fat bike by then.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I am in the Holland area... I will be there but am waiting to see if i have a buddy or customer who want to team up.... otherwise I will do it solo.... but i am hoping to have it figured out by this weekend.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'm in.

Big "T"
    Nov 2004
    as of this morning we have 29 people registered already! that's approx 40% full!!!

register early. when we hit 75 it will close

Big "T"
    Nov 2004
    so far all registrants are from either Michigan or Ohio. We're hoping to see some of the smack talkers from Wisconsin or Minnesota make the trip.

mtbr member

Illinois

Just registered. Hopefully I'll get my fat bike soon.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Call it the Tour De Flatlanders

Black Sheep rising

Looking for a partner for the Duo

I'm thinking I'm too old to be riding for 3 hours in the cold at one time, so if someone else is in the same boat, gimme a PM.

Fair warning: Partnering with me all-but guarantees a finish closer to the bottom than the top, for I am old and fat and slow. But I like to race and have fun.
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

mtbr member

What?

Quote Originally Posted by utabintarbo View Post
    I'm thinking I'm too old to be riding for 3 hours in the cold at one time, so if someone else is in the same boat, gimme a PM.

Fair warning: Partnering with me all-but guarantees a finish closer to the bottom than the top, for I am old and fat and slow. But I like to race and have fun.
    I thought it took us three hours to do Novi in the deep snow last winter. You had a Pugs, now you have a Ti Carver, should be a piece of cake for you.

mtbr member

I'm 47, 5'6", & 170 lbs. So we're in the same boat. I'm doing this for fun as well. In the summer, I'm looking to do my first road and mtb race.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    I'm from MI and my son rides for Farm Team Racing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm in. Ann Arbor area.

Big "T"
    Nov 2004
    Race is approximately half full already. Thanks for all the positive comments we've recieved from Michigan and other midwest Fat Bike owners!

We had the first real snow of the season here today. Temps in the 20s. We'll be at the farm riding the race course this weekend to finally get a feel for it with some show under the wheels.

mtbr member
    Great! Looking forward to my first fat bike race.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

Big "T"
    Nov 2004
    A few updates...

No snow on the ground today at Versluis Orchards, but the forcast is for some serious weather to blow across The Big Lake in the next few days! Once there's snow on the Ground we'll start posting pics of the race course.

We WILL cap entries at 75 racers! Based on entries so far, it's likely that the race could fill up before online registration closes January 11. So don't wait to register day of.

We have unique "trophies" planned for the category winners (solo male, solo female, duo, solo skinny bike). They are on par with the awards given to winners of events like The Lumberjack. We're working on engraving right now. We'll post pics of these custom "trophies" the week of the race.

Salsa Cycles and Ada Bike Shop are providing merchandise prizes for the top 3 in each division.

While not listed yet on bike reg, we will have a USAC National Champion competing in the Solo division!! AND the winner of last weekend's Tuscobia will also be here!!

As we've said before Salsa Cycles will be here with their demo van. For those who are NOT interested in racing but do want to demo a Salsa Mukluk, we will allow demo rides on the race course!!!

mtbr member
    This will be my 1st race overall, so I'm unfamiliar with these types of events. Will there be facilities for racers to change?
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Change what? This race takes place in the nude.
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member
    I, at least, need a chamois!
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

Black Sheep rising
    I think Mr Fog up there just wants to see a bunch of naked dudes. Pay him no mind.

Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

mtbr member
    You decide on this race yet utab?
    CRAMBA Chairman

Black Sheep rising
    Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    You decide on this race yet utab?
    Kinda still half-hoping for a partner for the duo (nobody likes the all-but certain DFL). Likely I'll be there regardless, clogging up the trail.
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

=========
    Smack Talk.....just kidding
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

Big "T"
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ecub View Post
    This will be my 1st race overall, so I'm unfamiliar with these types of events. Will there be facilities for racers to change?
    change clothes?

we will have porta pots at the race. you can use one as a changing room.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

I'm in.

Tried to get a friend to ride with me but he hasn't answered. I just signed up myself. Three hours is a long time. Maybe in the future they could make a shorter timed race also.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by juram View Post
    Tried to get a friend to ride with me but he hasn't answered. I just signed up myself. Three hours is a long time. Maybe in the future they could make a shorter timed race also.
    That should not be a problem, earlier this year I went to that Fatbike Team Enduro out in Wisconsin (I'm from the east side of Michigan) by myself, and got on a team where no one knew each other and had a blast. Three hours for solo and teams should be right, keep in mind how many people have signed up so far, after a couple of laps with all of those fatbikes, the trail should get packed down quite a bit. I'm thinking the last couple of laps will be like a road race. We'll see how it goes, I believe Scotty and his crew thought this out correctly

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Does anyone know if we will have the option of switching to the duo on the day of the race? I signed up single, but could be persuaded to ride with a partner.

Black Sheep rising
    Does anyone know if we will have the option of switching to the duo on the day of the race?
    Bump for the answer to this question.
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

mtbr member
    Anyone know if you can transfer registration to someone else? Had someone drop out and someone else that would gladly take their spot.

I registered the both of us under our team name.

The site bikereg is horribly unclear on this. I'll email them i suppose. Was hoping someone would know firsthand.
    CRAMBA Chairman

Big "T"
    Nov 2004
    Does anyone know if we will have the option of switching to the duo on the day of the race? I signed up single, but could be persuaded to ride with a partner.
    I can handle it for you off line. PM me with your email address, and the personal info of the person you are going to go duo with.

Big "T"
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    Anyone know if you can transfer registration to someone else? Had someone drop out and someone else that would gladly take their spot.

I registered the both of us under our team name.

The site bikereg is horribly unclear on this. I'll email them i suppose. Was hoping someone would know firsthand.
    I can handle it for you. Go to bikereg and use the "contact event" option to send me an email. I'll need your personal info and the info of the person who will take your spot.

You will continue to show up online at Bike Reg, but the person you are transferring to will have their name on the race packet on race day.

Big "T"
    Nov 2004
    FYI.

we have 14 open slots left for the race. if we hit 75 entrants online there will be NO day of registration.

Big "T"
    Nov 2004
    oops!

looks like 13 now

mtbr member

*Ahem*

Quote Originally Posted by Scottytheoneandonly View Post
    oops!

looks like 13 now
    Snow conditions? Heard Holland got 15" by last night.

mtbr member
    never seen this style bike before very interesting.

Big "T"
    Nov 2004
    Some updates....

We started marking/prepping the course today. Unfortunately, we are now in a warm spell. all the snow has melted. But the forecast from next thursday through race day is for below freezing temps and lake effect snow (we are 30 miles from Lk Michigan). If you want to check the weather forecast at weather.com use zip code 49504. Weather.com is not as accurate as local weather, which is calling for highs in the mid 20s for three days prior to the race.. go here for local weather updates:

WOOD TV8 | Weather Forecasts for Grand Rapids and West Michigan

The ground on the farm is clay. When below freezing the ground is hard as concrete. Single speeders and even some geared riders should expect to have to walk at least two of the short steep hills on the course. 90% of the course is wide open and passing will be easy. We have designed a course that will take the fastest rider 12+ minutes to complete and should be doable for a "slow" rider in under 20 minutes.

We will allow warm up laps after 11am, but not before.

Sign in and packet pick up will be on Friday 1/13 from 5pm to 8pm at Ada Bike shop in Ada, Michigan, and from 10am to 11:30am at the Race.

Remember, this is a grassroots event. We kept the entry fees low and the total rider count low so we could put on a simple, fun event for people to come together and ride Fat Bikes.

On race day Salsa Cycles will be at the event with a dozen demo Mukluks. Ada Bike Shop will also be there with Mukluk demos.

Parking is limited. Please carpool!!! The parking/expo/transition area is relatively small. Which is why we capped our registration at 75. Please do NOT bring EZ Up tents. They won't help you while you're riding the course and they don't make you look fast or pro or cool.

Please dress appropriately. It will almost certainly be below freezing on race day and the course is out in a farmer's field! There is no shelter. This is Michigan! 29deg F here is considered comfortable! No whining about wind or cold or whatever.

The race will end at 3pm. Awards will take place at 4pm. We have designed unique trophies for division winners! we will have free coffee, hot chocolate and hotdogs for everyone AFTER the race.

We appreciate the enthusiasm everyone has shown for Michigan's first fat bike race. We are looking forward to having you at the farm next Saturday.

mtbr member
    Hmmmm. I couldn't wait for the snow, but now debating if I should go. Coming from Illinois, it's going to make my drive difficult, especially since the snow is still going to continue Friday, which is when I'll be diriving. Not sure if the trucks will have sufficient time to plow all the roads. I'll have to play it by ear.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

Big "T"
    Nov 2004
    I will be sending out a race update to registered riders tomorrow. I'll update everyone on weather conditions at that point.

I've had a lot of questions about EZ up tents and such. We didn't want people setting them up because we have a limited amount of space to put them. But with the weather getting nasty we think we can make room for a few. So we will offer space for tents, but it will be limited, first come first serve.

mtbr member

Pedals?

I always bring both, but want to have the correct ones on as I'm driving up tomorrow morning.
    Scotty, which is looking better, use clipless or platform pedals? Snow on my side of the state's pretty wet, would be a ball of ice with clipless.

Black Sheep rising
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Balogh View Post
    I always bring both, but want to have the correct ones on as I'm driving up tomorrow morning.
    Scotty, which is looking better, use clipless or platform pedals? Snow on my side of the state's pretty wet, would be a ball of ice with clipless.

Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

mtbr member

I use Time Zeros that have a platform. It's not always the pedal where ice forms, it's in the cleat.

Big "T"
    Nov 2004
    Race Results have been posted via The Farm Team Blog:

Farm Team Racing: Farmer's Fat Bike Race Results

Thanks to everyone who came out to the race yesterday! We ended up with nearly 100 registered riders!! We're already working on making next year's race bigger and better! The second edition of Michigan's Original Fat Bike race will be held January 12, 2013!!
    Last edited by Scottytheoneandonly; 01-15-2012 at 09:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Check out XXC's video, pictures, and writeup of the race. Great stuff - looks like it was a blast

2012 Farmer’s 3 Hour Fat Bike Race :

mtbr member
    Awesome vid! I wish I made it out there. I got worried about the road conditions from IL to MI. There's always next year
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

Black Sheep rising
    Quote Originally Posted by ecub View Post
    Awesome vid! I wish I made it out there. I got worried about the road conditions from IL to MI. There's always next year
    Despite my DFL, it was a lot of fun. Definitely on the calendar for next year.
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have had a hard time thinking of an event I had more fun at. The vibe and format were cool. The course was a blast! The weather was perfect - with snow even. The Farm Team Rocked this one - great job guys!

Big "T"
    Nov 2004
    We're already working on accomodating MORE riders for next year's race.

We've had so much positive feedback since Saturday. Thanks to everyone who came out to race for the Shovel Trophy!