Farley 9.8 V Pivot Les Fat Pro V Canyon Dude 9.0 Unlimited- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Farley 9.8 V Pivot Les Fat Pro V Canyon Dude 9.0 Unlimited

I'm not rushing myself but I do believe I've narrowed the field down to these 3. On the fence with The RSD Mayor.

I'd like to hear your thoughts. No way i can find these to test ride. My use will be mainly (if not eventually) snow/ice. I have a good dude for LBS who treats me well and is a trek dealer. He just gave me some info on the Farley 2018 model 9.8. Anyone know when and where I can find more? He is showing a July stock date. Apparently its SRAM Eagle. Color is something I'd like to see too. It's a gunmetal.

I'm going to try and get on the Pivot and should be able to. Canyon will probably be impossible to hop on. So, let hear your thoughts.
    2016 Remedy 9
    2016 Farley 7
    2017 Santa Cruz V-10 C
    2017 Remedy 9.9
    2017 Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Unlimited cash? Pivot is like twice the price of canyon dude...

Anyway. Pivot is extremely nice, but way over priced. Still probably the best and most versatile frame. Fenomenal dropouts. An absolutely fantastic bike with the biggest downtube in history.

Probably betters specs on the Farley though, so id say a lot better value there. Supersweet bike too. Nice dropouts and very versatile.

Canyon dude is defiantly a shelf or two below both of those in terms of frame AND equipment, but still a very nice bike.

Either one is nice, but I'd say:
    1 pivot
    2 Farley
    3 dude.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Big M, Little organ.
    Jan 2004
    I was in th same situation a couple months ago. I was waiting on a canyon but when I found out they weren't shipping to the US until at least August I started looking more at the others on your list. I agree the pivot is overpriced but when a 2016 went on sale for 20% off I jumped on it.

The pivot is fantastic. So much fun and playful with 4" tires. The deore brakes were woefully underpowered so I swapped in guides but otherwise a solid build. The pivot is the best suited for 29 and 27 plus with the swinger dropout and head tube spacer. If you plan to run multiple wheel sets the pivot may be worth it.

For the money, the dude can't be beat. The trek isn't far behind. It may come down to preference of shimano vs sram brakes and drivetrain. I'm super happy with the pivot but I wouldn't pay full price.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Organ View Post
    I was in th same situation a couple months ago. I was waiting on a canyon but when I found out they weren't shipping to the US until at least August I started looking more at the others on your list. I agree the pivot is overpriced but when a 2016 went on sale for 20% off I jumped on it.

The pivot is fantastic. So much fun and playful with 4" tires. The deore brakes were woefully underpowered so I swapped in guides but otherwise a solid build. The pivot is the best suited for 29 and 27 plus with the swinger dropout and head tube spacer. If you plan to run multiple wheel sets the pivot may be worth it.

For the money, the dude can't be beat. The trek isn't far behind. It may come down to preference of shimano vs sram brakes and drivetrain. I'm super happy with the pivot but I wouldn't pay full price.
    I think you nailed it. This is exactly how I'm feeling. I added the DUDE because it really seems like a price point that's hard to pass up. My LBS will drop $550 from the 18 Farley 9.8 so it's most likely going to be that route.
    2016 Remedy 9
    2016 Farley 7
    2017 Santa Cruz V-10 C
    2017 Remedy 9.9
    2017 Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    You might want to look at the Farley 9.6, the 2k that you save over the 9.8 you could build up a set of 26" carbon hoops, for better tire selection, and put on a suspension fork, IMO the orange is a better color than the gunmetal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tmbrown View Post
    You might want to look at the Farley 9.6, the 2k that you save over the 9.8 you could build up a set of 26" carbon hoops, for better tire selection, and put on a suspension fork, IMO the orange is a better color than the gunmetal.
    I'm worried about the color too. I can't find the gunmetal color. I event tried Project 1 and it wasn't listed there. Any idea where I could find a sample?

I don't think I'd be able to drop that kinda dollar.on a color I don't want.
    2016 Remedy 9
    2016 Farley 7
    2017 Santa Cruz V-10 C
    2017 Remedy 9.9
    2017 Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I demoed one before I picked up the 9.6.

Farley 9.8 V Pivot Les Fat Pro V Canyon Dude 9.0 Unlimited-img_3989.jpg

Farley 9.8 V Pivot Les Fat Pro V Canyon Dude 9.0 Unlimited-img_4045.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I think that's quicksilver not gunmetal. That's 17 color? For 18 it's gunmetal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Yeah thatís Quicksilver from 17, sorry my bad, for some reason I was thinking that color was called gunmetal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tmbrown View Post
    Yeah thatís Quicksilver from 17, sorry my bad, for some reason I was thinking that color was called gunmetal.
    No worries bro. I thought the same at first.
    2016 Remedy 9
    2016 Farley 7
    2017 Santa Cruz V-10 C
    2017 Remedy 9.9
    2017 Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    I have owned a Canyon Dude CF 8.0 for two weeks now (USA). It's a very nice bike. Don't get me wrong, the Pivot and Trek bikes are nice too. That goes for Specialized, Salsa, Borealis, 9-Zero-7 and others. I'm not sure what I'm missing out on by spending less money for something similar in geometry, tire size capability, quality and build spec. My small frame Dude weighs 24 lb with pedals and bottle cage attached. I did convert the DT Swiss wheels to tubeless. No problems there. If I don't do well racing this bike in the snow this winter it won't be a limitation of the bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Farley 9.8 V Pivot Les Fat Pro V Canyon Dude 9.0 Unlimited-my-dude.jpg