F@E vs Minnesota 3.0- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2017

[email protected] vs Minnesota 3.0

So I just re-packaged up my new SE [email protected] to ship back due to receiving it with a damaged frame and now I'm eyeballing the Minnesota 3.0 and I'm wondering if it's worth the extra $250.
    For me the biggest thing is the claimed lighter weight (Minnesota is around 32 and [email protected] is something like 34-35), and 150mm thru axle. Also, the paint on the [email protected] seemed very low quality like it would scratch very easily.
    Does anyone have experience with both bikes? Are the framed 3.0's really as light as claimed (I'd be getting the 16inch)? Are the Minnesota frames higher quality?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I rode a Minnesota 1.2 for a couple years. I did some upgrades to it, but yes for me it was and still is a solid bike. I had mine down to around 30 lbs. I purchased a Rocky Mountain Blizzard this summer but kept the Minnesota. The Minnesota is lighter, even after I did some mods to the Rocky, good or bad thing I don't know. I only weight 150 lbs, but the Framed performed well and I consider it a great bang for buck fattie.

mtbr member
    I have a pretty new Framed Minnesota 2.2. Nice bike, very solid. I did have a problem right away - on the OEM Truvativ crankset, the non-drive crank arm fell off, ultimately stripped out the mounting hole. Call to Framed and they immediately sent out a SRAM X5 crank set and GXB bottom bracket to replace it. Just today, I called them with a question about what crown race I should use to install a Bluto...they just popped one in the mail to me no charge. Stand up company, in my experience.

mtbr member
    There are a lot of Happy Minnesota owners on the Framed Fat Bike Owner's group. You can find a lot of info on the 3.0 there.

As Cuyuna mentioned, Framed is a stand up company and really stand behind their product.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/691226087566074/
    Current bikes:
    2018 Trek Top Fuel 9.8 SL
    2018 Trek Farley 7
    2015 Framed Alaskan Carbon
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Thanks for the replies. I think i'll probably end up going with the minnesota.
    I'm not sure what's the difference between the .0's and the .2's. Is it that the .2's are newer and bluto ready? I see that a 2.2 is lower spec'd and heavier than a 3.0 but is priced higher. What am i missing?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The 3 has a 190 rear which will fit a bigger tire. The 3 has a tapered head tube so it is Bluto or whatever fork you want to run ready. It is a nice option to run bigger tires when the conditions call for it. Gearing such as cassettes and chain rings are an easy swap out. I wouldn't get to caught up in replaceable parts that will wear out. Personally, I would go with the 3 if it were me. Just my opinion. Fat bikes are the bomb. Soooo much fun!

blood in / blood out
    Quote Originally Posted by Gats View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I think i'll probably end up going with the minnesota.
    I'm not sure what's the difference between the .0's and the .2's. Is it that the .2's are newer and bluto ready? I see that a 2.2 is lower spec'd and heavier than a 3.0 but is priced higher. What am i missing?
    The .2's are dealer spec bikes.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

Rides like a girl
    Feb 2015
    I got the 3.0 XWT in March of 2015. We've had a lot of fun. It came with Bulldozer tires. They are fine for summer, but I needed something for snow. The Beists fit quite well and will get you wherever you want to go in snow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    The 1.2 and 2.2 also have a tapered head tube like the 3.0 has, so if you want to add a suspension fork later on you're good to go.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I recently unoladed a [email protected] after a couple years of use. It was a mostly solid ride. Frame and fork were great, 197/100bb but with a 135mm QR fork, well made and compliant. It's the same frame as the Fuji Wendigo. Downers were 3x9 drivetrain (no clutch RD), weight, and horrible Tektro mechanical brakes. I bought it new for $600 to see if I could enjoy fat biking. It stuck I guess, sold it to buy an upgraded Fattie. But it was well worth the money though my new bike is much better.