Errr....smallest tire on a Holy Rolling Darryl (yes, I said smallest)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Errr....smallest tire on a Holy Rolling Darryl (yes, I said smallest)

Hey!
    I'm looking for a cheap and cheerful way to drop a bit of rolling resistance on my Beargrease for summer trail riding.

Everyone asks 'how wide can I go'. I'm asking, how narrow can I go, and what's a good choice of tire?

It would be used on quite a lot of asphalt, some hard-packed dirt and gravel. So I want a tire that rolls fairly quiet on asphalt.

I'd also be interested if anyone has a lead on a set of 29 wheels/tire fully built up and ready to drop on a 2014 Carbon Beargrease. So wheels, tires, hubs, cassette, discs and spacers on the 170 rear - for a quick-change drop in.

Otherwise I'm probably just going to go with a narrower tire if it's practical.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
    Just a fat old guy riding a fat old bike...
    Follow my antics at tent.bike

mtbr member
    The black Floyd will fit. I have seen a pic of a dirt wizard stretched out on one but I think rim strikes would be the issue. On one has a 29er complete wheelset for a decent price.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Panaracer FBN is one of the narrower 4" tires that isn't a "road tire" design. Not sure how well it rolls on pavement, since I haven't mounted mine up, yet. Mounts up to about 86mm, or ~3 3/8" on a Marge Lite. Supposed to be fast rollers.
    I'm still running my Halo Nanuks on Marge Lites for my beach riding and cushy pine-forest trails in the dunes. They are about the same width as a FBN. I don't think I'd run the Nanuks on pavement. In fact, I try to avoid riding my Pugsley on the pavement! (requires me to pump about 6 or 7 more lbs of pressure into each tire).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rooze View Post
    Hey!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
    I put 4" tires on RDs and did not like the way they handled on pavement/hardpack.

They were fine on straight sections, but the squared off profile due to the narrow tire on wide rim made leaning the bike over to turn unpleasant.

If you are able to test ride the tires you are considering before being locked into a choice I'd suggest that is worth your while.

If not I'd get the tire with the most rounded profile that meets your needs so it squares off the least when mounted to the RD.

The poor handling bugged me enough I bought some 5" tires to put on the RD's.

In retrospect I would have stuck with narrower rims and 4" tires if I had a do over on that.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Wig
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Here is a 2.4 on a 80mm rim... Not exact but maybe give you an idea:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/2-4-80mm-949694.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I am kinda in the same situation about summer. I could go for a 3.25 - 3.5 (labeled, not actual) to go on my Marge Lites. I know surly makes the 26x3.0 knard, but I am afraid that would drop the BB too low, as the Beargrease already has a low BB. I would love to try, but that's an expensive experiment.

Although the 27+ is super intriguing, but still relatively new. 29+ is too big in my opinion.

What I will most likely do is run my D4s until something new comes out for summer.

I will be watching this thread to see what others respond with.
    Hightower
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    Surly Wednesday
    RSD Catalyst all road bike
    On One fixed
    1999 Chameleon SS

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions. I was kinda hoping something like the Dirt Wizard might fit, or some other 3" tire that I haven't been able to find via google!

The Dillies are like jeep tires on asphalt, they take the edge off the 'fun' factor.

I wonder if there's something in a 3.8 with a more arched profile, that might lower the contact area when inflated to 20+ ??

Darn, I wish this were easier.

Has anyone bought those 29's from On One? They look intriguing. I'm not sure what I'd need to make them compatible with the 177 rear on the BG Carbon. I googled hub spacers 170 - 177 but came up with nothing. I'm kinda new at this
    Just a fat old guy riding a fat old bike...
    Follow my antics at tent.bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I put 4" tires on RDs and did not like the way they handled on pavement/hardpack.

They were fine on straight sections, but the squared off profile due to the narrow tire on wide rim made leaning the bike over to turn unpleasant.

If you are able to test ride the tires you are considering before being locked into a choice I'd suggest that is worth your while.

If not I'd get the tire with the most rounded profile that meets your needs so it squares off the least when mounted to the RD.

The poor handling bugged me enough I bought some 5" tires to put on the RD's.

In retrospect I would have stuck with narrower rims and 4" tires if I had a do over on that.
    Not to be contrary but I'd bet by far the majority of fat bikes are running 4" tires on 80ish mm (Rolling Darryll) size rims. There are some tires that are squarer than others but really most work OK on that size rim even on dirt. That said 50mm or 65mm rims do make for a rounder tire on hardpack.
    Latitude 61

I ride 42mm slicks (on my road bike) on dirt and gravel. So if I were looking for something to fit Darryl's, I'd go Vee Rubber Speedsters.

Speedster | VEE Tire Co.

mtbr member
    Would that rock strike as much as I think it would?

Rippin da fAt
    My experience with 4" on RD's has been good, but then I don't like roller blade wheels on my mountain bike. I will be running Knard 3.0's on 45mm Velocity dually s my Turner SixPack. Will try 'em on the fatty and report back.

Frankly, the tread zone shall not be narrower than the rim or rim damage is the result.

Am currently running dilly 5's or Bud/Lou on my RD's @ or less than 10 psi 'cause any more than that and they may as well be filled with concrete. 160# rider...

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Co-worker just got a Cogburn and was asking about narrower tires to increase mud clearance, which is a bigger priority then flotation for his uses (mostly Jeep tracks and such). I was thinking Knard but just wanted to see if anyone had any advice, warnings, or other recommendations.

Not really fixed.
    Feb 2016
    A 27+ or 29+ wheelset for the Cogburn is going to be the best bet to maintain BB clearance.