All fat, all the time.
    Cool to have more options.
    They are well out of my budget.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AKCheesehead View Post
    Surprised this wasn’t already posted..

https://bikerumor.com/2018/10/23/win...t-bike-wheels/
    thanks for the link. apparently they are making a fork too. me thinks the fork will die a quick death and rims shortly thereafter, but not until the doctor/lawyer types have the enve fat hoops on their spotless winter steeds... :P

the flip chip is cool, but not really needed.

the hoops look nice and intrigue me, but i know i will break them, so nevermind...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I agree on the quick death, they would be the widest 27.5 rims out there which is interesting, otherwise it looks like a slightly wider, expensive, internal nipple Nextie rim.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AKCheesehead View Post
    they would be the widest 27.5 rims out there which is interesting
    i didn't notice that at first. yes, a 85mm internal 27.5 is 9mm larger then anything else. this hoopd would be a cool on a snow specific built carbon farley with studded gnarwhals.

Elitest thrill junkie
    lol.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    $999 for one rim. Maybe...maybe if I take the lottery...

urmb
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a \mountain or fat/ bike.” ~ John F. Kennedy

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Does they coming with life time crash replacement like HED? when you get new well assembled on you hub just for 250$??

no 26”x65mm, why?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VitaliT View Post
    Does they coming with life time crash replacement like HED? when you get new well assembled on you hub just for 250$??

no 26”x65mm, why?
    lifetime crash replacement? hmmmm

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Talk about late to the party....they might as well have not even come cuz it's almost over!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Agreed always good to have options. Enve makes good products but man they are late with this one and price point SUX!!

Too much good quality competition out there for these to last very long.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    yes, a 85mm internal 27.5 is 9mm larger then anything else. this hoopd would be a cool on a snow specific built carbon farley with studded gnarwhals.
    It would! There are only two tires I would run on this rim...Gnarwhals and Barbegazis. All other B Fat tires would leave WAY too much rim exposed for anything other than pure snow riding.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    i didn't notice that at first. yes, a 85mm internal 27.5 is 9mm larger then anything else. this hoopd would be a cool on a snow specific built carbon farley with studded gnarwhals.

Since we're splitting hairs it's worth noting that the Bontrager Wampa rims are only 7mm different from the Enve's.

Wampa's are a known quantity, super durable, incredibly easy/intuitive tubeless setup, and they're the perfect width for Gnarwhal and Barbegazi.

Oh yeah -- and Wampa is roughly half the price of the Enve.

Not a tough choice.

If a wider B Fat tire is inbound (and I haven't heard that any are) then the ENVE might have a leg up on everyone else.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I could buy 2 decent fat bikes for the price of one wheelset. Well I guess someone will buy them.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2016 Chromag Surface 27.5+
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2017 Motobecane Lurch FS 26 fat

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    What the Hell is wrong with you guys?
    These will be great rims that you can air up with your $489 Silca SuperPiste floor pump while wearing your Rapha $892 wind breaker and $732 bib tights.

I just wish Enve would make an Endurance Fatbike specific carbon stem that cost at least $273....

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    I just wish Enve would make an Endurance Fatbike specific carbon stem that cost at least $273....

Be patient.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Sometimes I feel like I fell asleep in the slow lane and the world passed me while I was sleeping at 150mph. How much of a market can there really be for most aftermarket wheelsets anyway, but especially ones that cost what this does? Yikes. Oh well, I realize nobody is forcing me to buy it, so I guess I won't.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Be patient.
    Ain't nobody got time fo dat!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    Sometimes I feel like I fell asleep in the slow lane and the world passed me while I was sleeping at 150mph. How much of a market can there really be for most aftermarket wheelsets anyway, but especially ones that cost what this does? Yikes. Oh well, I realize nobody is forcing me to buy it, so I guess I won't.
    You would have been much more comfortable sleeping if you had a $330 Rapha bike packing sleeping bag.
    I know...it's not a fat bike specific $330 sleeping bag...but...if you combined it with a $138 Rapha cyclocross scarf....you might be able to make if work.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    You would have been much more comfortable sleeping if you had a $330 Rapha bike packing sleeping bag.
    I know...it's not a fat bike specific $330 sleeping bag...but...if you combined it with a $138 Rapha cyclocross scarf....you might be able to make if work.
    There are some areas where spending a lot of $$$ makes sense and is worth it. For my cold-weather -20F sleeping bag, it was worth it, worked great in -20 with a sleeping pad and bivy sack, I did wait until a sale day with my divident at REI, but still not cheap, but worth the money i paid. Good fatbike studded tires are the same way, worth every bit you pay. 1K carbon rims are ridiculous and 3x as much as the same thing costs from Nextie/LB/Carbonfan, etc. If the others on the market were crappy, then maybe I could see it, but no one has been asking for a product at that pricepoint. I think it's part of their strategy to "branch out", because they are probably losing market share in the normal-bike-carbon-rim arena, but IMO this is the tail-end of the bubble and probably a step in the wrong direction still. There IS a market for aftermarket carbon fatbike wheels, but as we go forward and the manufacturers like Borealis, 9:zero:7, Fatback, Spec, Trek, and any other "big" players-pair directly with carbon rim manufacturers, there's less and less need for aftermarket, won't be no need, but many of these guys already are pairing with carbon rim manufacturers other than envy and putting nice carbon wheels on their bikes stock, vs. before when you wanted these, you HAD to build up an aftermarket wheelset.

Anyways, it's a ridiculous pricepoint.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Be patient.
    I'm gonna guess you two are up to something!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    What are some good carbon alternatives to these rims? Honestly looking for suggestions.

- The Whiskey No 9 100mm rims are over half the price but are ~150g heavier per rim.
    - The Nextie 90mm Wild Dragon II Premium double wall rims are 50g heavier and $150 cheaper per rim.
    - The Nextie 105mm Xiphias 105mm single wall rims are only 10g heavier and $120 cheaper per rim.
    - The Light Bicycle 90mm rims are up to 80g heavier and $230 cheaper per rim.
    - The 100mm HEDs are the same price but single walled and 100g lighter per rim.

Seeing that the Enves are made in the USA, I'd consider paying the extra $300 to support USA manufacturing. But I could probably get that down to $150 after a 15% coupon and free shipping. Shipping from China would also cost extra.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I’ve had the Whisky 100’s, the Light Bicycle 90’s and the HED all on various bikes and wouldn’t hesitate to buy any of those again over these Enve rims.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep01 View Post
    What are some good carbon alternatives to these rims? Honestly looking for suggestions.

- The Whiskey No 9 100mm rims are over half the price but are ~150g heavier per rim.
    - The Nextie 90mm Wild Dragon II Premium double wall rims are 50g heavier and $150 cheaper per rim.
    - The Nextie 105mm Xiphias 105mm single wall rims are only 10g heavier and $120 cheaper per rim.
    - The Light Bicycle 90mm rims are up to 80g heavier and $230 cheaper per rim.
    Where the heck are you getting these prices? The 90mm LB 650g rims are $272 each, the 85mm 500g flyweight model is $352/rim. Lightweight Nextie 105mm rims are $380 each and the 90mm snow dragons are $350 each. There are some other options/combos like 80mm and so on, I just went right to their websites and got these though. I bought 90mm and 65mm LB rims. They are nowhere near the price of those Envys.

These are all less than half the price of the Envy rims...by a lot.

Hell, the HED Big Deal rim is only $700 each.

You can build up an ENTIRE good WHEELSET on the LB/Nextie rims for around $1100....that's rims, hubs, spokes!

BTW, it takes a little practice, but you can use something like tyvek tape for your rim strip, which is 2g a pass, a lot lighter than most rim strips. That's one way to make up a few grams if you are ultra-concerned about it. With the tires we put on these things it ends up not being quite so important.