Endomorph trouble shooting...- Mtbr.com
    oh crap...

Endomorph trouble shooting...

Folks,

Just mounted up endomorphs to 70mm speedways on my new 907 and went for a 10 mile spin. There is a tall spot with a bit of a wobble on the front tire which I can feel most adversely on pavement. No sound though, just the steady rythmic bump bump bump of the tall spot rolling through.

I've tried re-mounting/setting the bead, and wheel is true.

Any help/suggestions? Should I expect this to go away as the tire makes it's new home on my bike?

Thank you.
    Grow some food for yourself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Are you using a tube that has to stretch a bunch to fill the tire? This has caused problems for me before when the tube doesn't expand as much at the valve stem. Easy to check though if your bump isn't at the valve stem it's not the problem.

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerfrederico
    I've tried re-mounting/setting the bead.
    You tried, but did you succeed? Does the same amount of bead area show all the way round, or is part of the tire not climbing all the way out to the hook?

Try spraying the hook/bead interface with a bit of soapy water (like mounting tubeless) and inflating to about 25 psi. That should really let the bead pop all the way into the hook. If you still have a wobble, it is a molding problem in the tire itself and it will not fix itself. Could be a warranty issue if it really annoys you. All my Endos have been straight.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    anyone have any comparisons of the 70mm rims to the 80mm vicious. width and wight differences with an edomrph. thanx trying to decide what to get.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The wheel is totally true? The tire is mounted properly? The pressure is super low like it should be?

the test dummy
    cover the rim and tire in soapy water and push down on the part not seating right. hold down on it and fill the tire with air slowly. once you have reached the pressure you want spin it, see if there are still bumps. if there are let the air out and repeat in that spot. it also helps to fill the tire half way and then let it out to make sure the tube is seated right. if it makes a noise as you let the air out do it again. if none of that works then send the tire back its defective.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

oh crap...
    So with further investigation, I'm experiencing a flat spot, not a tal spot. The flat spot occurres because the bead isn't climbing all the way out of the tire well and hooking into the side of the rim. This is present on both sides and for about the same distance
    (a fifth of the circumfrance). I've tried the soapy water technique but no luck, will try with a higher concentration of soap later in the week and with more of it. There is a smaller but similarly affected spot on the rear tire leading me to believe I just haven't worked out the kinks yet and that this isn't a manufacturing problem.

Thanks for all of your help. I'll update later!

the test dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerfrederico
    So with further investigation, I'm experiencing a flat spot, not a tal spot. The flat spot occurres because the bead isn't climbing all the way out of the tire well and hooking into the side of the rim. This is present on both sides and for about the same distance
    (a fifth of the circumfrance). I've tried the soapy water technique but no luck, will try with a higher concentration of soap later in the week and with more of it. There is a smaller but similarly affected spot on the rear tire leading me to believe I just haven't worked out the kinks yet and that this isn't a manufacturing problem.

Thanks for all of your help. I'll update later!
    over fill the tires when you pump them up that might do it. go like 10 over what is the highest pressure marked on the tire.
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    baby powder

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Info....

Quote Originally Posted by ak greeff
    anyone have any comparisons of the 70mm rims to the 80mm vicious. width and wight differences with an edomrph. thanx trying to decide what to get.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...25&postcount=6

This might not satisfiy all your questions, but here's the specs on my drilled vicious rims. These rims were certainly built to be drilled.... they are quite thick.

In the end, the build weight of my wheel set is pretty good on these 82mm wide rims.... but I went high dollar for the CK hubs... which are significantly lighter than the other options I looked at.

Regards,

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich

oh crap...
    Thanks for all your help, guys...I just put more soap in the water this time, coated the rim AND the tire, aired it up to 30psi and the bead set just fine...back down to 12psi and everything is rolling smooth.

Sweet!

the test dummy
    if i were you i would have been really pissed, those tires are crazy expensive. now that i think about it though they would be harder to get on the rim and to get them to set right because of the rim being so wide.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

Members who have read this thread: 0