echo vs mukluk geos- Mtbr.com
    rda
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

echo vs mukluk geos

i have a 2014 mukluk that i dearly love. only thing i don't love is the weight. i want to get a more high end fatty and am interested in the echo. How would the echo ride compare to the mukluk?
    things i love about the mukluk:
    1-handles and corners very good.
    2-easy to get the front end up for logs and stuff
    3-climbs good

hopefully someone on here has took a similar path or ridden both and can give some real world opinions. no borealis dealers around me, so would have to buy without testing. want to make sure i don't get something and end up hating it (already been down that road with other bikes)

rda
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    ok, so i pulled up charts for the echo and the muk. i understand that handling is effected by seat tube angle, head tube angle, wheel base and chanstay length.

head angle - echo 69.8 ; muk 68.5
    seat tube angle - identical
    chanstay - echo 460 ; muk 447-464 (in winter i run mine at 464 and in summer 447)
    wheel base for echo wasn't available

will a little over a degree on the head on the head angle make much differance? my fs 29r has an angle of 71, and i don't care for the way it handles at all. what about the chainstay length? i do like how nimble the muk is when summer riding, however, i have been riding a few times this year since snow is gone and still having moved the wheel up and its been fine.

i notice the beargrease has geos closer to the muk, but of course doesn't come with the bluto. i guess i could upgrade it though. you can't run the bigger tires on the grease either. i have also heard that the echo is better since it has the threaded bottom bracket.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    I have ridden a Beargrease but not a Mukluk. I was looking at those two before buying but after more research I bought an Echo, sight unseen, mainly after talking with them on the phone and getting great information. I bought the XX1 version and kicked out extra $$ for HED rims so I could get it as light as possible, weighed a tick over 24 pounds on delivery and I've taken weight off of it since then. I jumped on it when we set it up and couldn't believe the handling, first thing I couldn't help but do was loft the front wheel. The chainstay is long but the bike is so light it comes right up. Climb the steepest hills without a problem as long you get the tire pressure right and I routinely pass other bikers that can't hold the same corner speed on trails. Bottom line is that my FS bike has been parked since I took delivery of the Echo, so yes, I would highly recommend it

rda
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Where did you get urs with the hed rims? What else have u done to lose weight?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have a 14 Mukluk and have done a short test ride on the echo. Unfortunately the test ride was only a few miles on an XC ski course so I can't comment on trail handling. However, the game changer for me was the bluto. Really takes the edge off and may more than make up for the head tube angle difference. Bars stem and tires were different so there's another variable contributing to the worthlessness of this post. Overall it felt a little lighter and faster than the muk but at >2x the cost it better right?

If you really want a full upgrade go for it. My short ride was good and you'll probably get comfortable with any minor changes. On the other hand, I really like the Muk cause it's mine and does everything I need it to. Maybe all you really need are carbon rims and a bluto?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have a 2013 Mukluk and have had a pretty good 9 mile ride on the Echo. The ride was steep single track up and down. My Muk is pretty modified with 60mm stem and wide bars, 1x10 with 42t big ring, dropper post, tubeless Bud in front and Bulldozer rear. I like my bike and am trying to convince myself to buy something else but logic doesn't serve that too much for my riding. My Muk is fun in all seasons.
    The Echo was set up nicely and I doubt I would need cockpit modifications other than maybe a tough shorter stem and a dropper post. The steeper head angle was noticeable. I couldn't make up my mind if the quicker steering was a plus or minus BUT the front did feel much lighter due to that. Front suspension is pretty nice and the trail I was on a trail pretty post holed by critters so I enjoyed that. It felt a bit more responsive but the stiffness was very apparent while sitting and that was one thing I wasn't fond of. I don't own any carbon bikes. I thoroughly enjoyed the bike but after getting back on mine was not disappointed in my bike either. Not enough of a difference for me to justify the new bike based on logic but it is still on the radar... probably due to the "grass is greener" syndrome. I would rather it was a little more slack and I don't really want the Turnagin wheels.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    Where did you get urs with the hed rims? What else have u done to lose weight?
    I got the rims built the way I wanted them through Borealis when I bought the bike. Only thing in the build I didn't like was the brakes and I've since changed those out for Formulas and dropped some weight there, other things are minor like swapping out steel bolts for Ti and a lighter chain. I think 24 pounds is the max low weight while maintaining trail strength.........but if anyone has ideas I'll listen

rda
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoka Hey View Post
    I have a 2013 Mukluk and have had a pretty good 9 mile ride on the Echo. The ride was steep single track up and down. My Muk is pretty modified with 60mm stem and wide bars, 1x10 with 42t big ring, dropper post, tubeless Bud in front and Bulldozer rear. I like my bike and am trying to convince myself to buy something else but logic doesn't serve that too much for my riding. My Muk is fun in all seasons.
    The Echo was set up nicely and I doubt I would need cockpit modifications other than maybe a tough shorter stem and a dropper post. The steeper head angle was noticeable. I couldn't make up my mind if the quicker steering was a plus or minus BUT the front did feel much lighter due to that. Front suspension is pretty nice and the trail I was on a trail pretty post holed by critters so I enjoyed that. It felt a bit more responsive but the stiffness was very apparent while sitting and that was one thing I wasn't fond of. I don't own any carbon bikes. I thoroughly enjoyed the bike but after getting back on mine was not disappointed in my bike either. Not enough of a difference for me to justify the new bike based on logic but it is still on the radar... probably due to the "grass is greener" syndrome. I would rather it was a little more slack and I don't really want the Turnagin wheels.
    your setup would still be heavier then an echo or beargrease. that is really the only thing i don't like about the muk. i have copd and hills really get me breathing hard. I have a fs 29r that weighs 26lbs. and it's a noticable differance climbing. i love the muk much more then the 29r everywhere else though.

maybe i should consider a beargrease too since it has closer geo's to the muk that i know i like. i could put the bluto on it too.

rda
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Terp View Post
    I have a 14 Mukluk and have done a short test ride on the echo. Unfortunately the test ride was only a few miles on an XC ski course so I can't comment on trail handling. However, the game changer for me was the bluto. Really takes the edge off and may more than make up for the head tube angle difference. Bars stem and tires were different so there's another variable contributing to the worthlessness of this post. Overall it felt a little lighter and faster than the muk but at >2x the cost it better right?

If you really want a full upgrade go for it. My short ride was good and you'll probably get comfortable with any minor changes. On the other hand, I really like the Muk cause it's mine and does everything I need it to. Maybe all you really need are carbon rims and a bluto?
    i had thought about that, but didn't think it was a good idea to spend that much on a bike that's on the lower end of the fat bike scale.