E13 Intall Help- Mtbr.com

Thread: E13 Intall Help

Home of the Gravedigger

E13 Intall Help

I'm trying to install new E13's on my Northpaw tonight and I"m running into big problems. On the drive side from the BB side I installed the Etype plate, and then 2 spacers. I had to install 2 spacers instead of the normal one spacer on the drive side to keep the chain from rubbing on the plate and to get the crank 9mm away from the stays. Is this normal?

Next, I installed the non drive side crank arm (with one wavy washer and no plastic shims) and after just barely snugging it (not even close to torqing it) the crank arms will not spin. What am I doing wrong?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E13 Intall Help-p3090066.jpg  

E13 Intall Help-p3090058.jpg  

E13 Intall Help-p3090063.jpg  

All fat, all the time.
    Of have the same spacer setup on mine, seems to be fine, no issues.

You didn't put another spacer on the non drive side did you?

aka bOb
    Did you put a spacer on the non-drive side as well as the 2 spacers plus the e-type on the drive? If you did you have to many and will have to take one out of the non drive side and hope you have enough clearance.

Home of the Gravedigger
    You guys are the best! Yes, I had a spacer on the non-drive side (because I started on that side first. So now the final set up is:

Drive Side: 2 spacers + Etype (7mm clearance from arm to stay) w/ offset frame
    Non-drive side: no spacers + wavy washer (10 mm clearance from arm to stay)

Now cranks are torqued to specs and spin freely!

Time for bed...rest of the build tomorrow.

aka bOb
    Can't wait to see it!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    These cranks seem to be very sensitive to set up properly. I have 1 spacer + Paul's keeper (same thickness as e-type mount) on the drive side, but only 1 plastic shim on the non-drive side. The wavy washer put too much pressure on the bearing, and it would not spin. Also, the plastic shims don't last very long- good thing several were included in the package.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    If the wavy washer is putting to much preasure, you need to lose a shim or 3. These shims dont really move, and should last forever. Have you measured your shell, is it more than 100mm?

Smash Mode: ON
    Sorry for the off topic post, but what pedals are those? Me likey...
    Whatever floats your bike, dude

Home of the Gravedigger
    It seemed to snug up just right with only the wavy washer..no plastic shims. I'll know better after I ride it and make sure it does not loosen up. The shell is exactly 100mm. I'm not sure if these cranks are normally this close to the stays or if my new frame just has some thick stays.

The pedals are Xpedo's....I think they were about $60 and weight right around 340 grams/pair.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Probably not so much the thickness of the stays, but how they are spaced and formed around the tire area. I had the same issue with e13 cranks on my Sandman.

Members who have read this thread: 0