Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    181

    e13 bad bearings

    The bearings on my e13 xcx (the original one) keep getting contaminated and now their to the point of needing replacement. Are the new Hive bearings better quality or sealed better? The Hive bearings that came with this crankset have been problematic (contamination) from day one. Just looking for advice on a better replacement.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: maddslacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    528
    if you end up replacing the whole thing, I see that RaceFace recently released a fat bike crankset.

    I've had excellent luck with their cranks in the past.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    365
    I was able to find some replacement bearings that I pressed into the existing cups. They were a sram 09A BB30 assembly kit. The kit contained bearings and wave washers/spacers only. I drifted out the old bearings from the cups and these pressed right in. I don't know how long these will last, but they seem to be much better than the stock bearings. I believe you can also get bearings from Enduro and possibly Phil Wood.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    382
    Is it on a Mukluk? Mine had the same problem, lots of grit in the bottom bracket area. After a lot of thinking, I figured out the dirt was coming into the frame at the seatstay bridge where there is a big hole. If you ride in wet conditions, the seatstay bridge is constantly sprayed with mud.

    I put in a new bottom bracket and wrapped that hole with electrical tape, we'll see if that helps.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: c0nsumer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by mactweek View Post
    I was able to find some replacement bearings that I pressed into the existing cups. They were a sram 09A BB30 assembly kit. The kit contained bearings and wave washers/spacers only. I drifted out the old bearings from the cups and these pressed right in. I don't know how long these will last, but they seem to be much better than the stock bearings. I believe you can also get bearings from Enduro and possibly Phil Wood.
    I've done something similar, but by simply purchasing replacement BB30 / 6806-2RS bearings and swapping them. I've also replaced the grease in the new bearings with marine grease to keep them intact for longer. This results in more seal drag and stiction, but it's not something you actually notice when pedaling.

    Since then I've gone to a Race Face crankset since I like their overall design better, but the e*13/BB30 cup setup is pretty nifty in that the bearings are so easily replaceable.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    73
    They changed the bearing design. The dust caps are different now. Have well over 1000mi on the new set no issue. The new bearings come with washers.

  7. #7
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,943
    I did same thing with enduro bearings. Haven't had much time on them yet, but they are smooth, and came with a better seal. Used original cups.

    Quote Originally Posted by mactweek View Post
    I was able to find some replacement bearings that I pressed into the existing cups. They were a sram 09A BB30 assembly kit. The kit contained bearings and wave washers/spacers only. I drifted out the old bearings from the cups and these pressed right in. I don't know how long these will last, but they seem to be much better than the stock bearings. I believe you can also get bearings from Enduro and possibly Phil Wood.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    181
    Thanks guys. You've given me hope!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    492
    The one thing that help most for me to keep my bottom bracket bearings in good shape was to block all the vent hole in the chain stays, the hole in the cross braces for the chain and seat stays Also the seat post. They all drain to the bb. Then drill a small hole at each side of bb water can drain by the bearing cup. This probably will void your frame warranty, but I would argue that with the frame manufacture when they should be doing it in the first place.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: c0nsumer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by exp18 View Post
    The one thing that help most for me to keep my bottom bracket bearings in good shape was to block all the vent hole in the chain stays, the hole in the cross braces for the chain and seat stays Also the seat post. They all drain to the bb. Then drill a small hole at each side of bb water can drain by the bearing cup. This probably will void your frame warranty, but I would argue that with the frame manufacture when they should be doing it in the first place.
    Or, just use a sealed BB w/ sleeve ala SRAM / Race Face. Then you don't void your frame warranty.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    492
    Quote Originally Posted by c0nsumer View Post
    Or, just use a sealed BB w/ sleeve ala SRAM / Race Face. Then you don't void your frame warranty.
    I agree the bb designed with a sleeve is far better than without. But i have seen my 29er with a raceface bb with a sleeve get water in it, I do not know if it was from the sleeve for sure but there was a fair amount of water in the void between the sleeve and the frame. It just make scents to me to have it where it will drain, but maybe the manufacture have a reason for no doing it.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    73
    My pugsley has a BB drain hole stock no warranty void on surly's I guess?

Similar Threads

  1. '06 575 Bearings
    By GS_Ken in forum Yeti
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-19-2013, 11:58 AM
  2. Cartridge Bearings versus Cup and Cone Bearings
    By caesar148 in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-06-2013, 05:51 PM
  3. Where do you buy your bearings?
    By Hardluckhero in forum Arizona
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-21-2012, 02:26 PM
  4. How do you tell when you need new bearings?
    By csoskin in forum Ventana
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-07-2012, 03:23 PM
  5. Bontrager RE-1 Pedal Bearings? Any Pedal bearings?
    By davez26 in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-19-2011, 09:35 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.