DUB for the FATTY?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

DUB for the FATTY?

Yo Crew,

Working on a re-vamp on a new-to-me frame and was curious if anyone out there has been blasting the SRAM DUB system on their rig and if they like it or would leave it?

Basically starting to style a rig that commutes, bike packs and does a little trail on the side. Reliability and smoove operation is a strong desire.

Experience and banter greatly appreciated.

Mahalo

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Been running one for about a year, so far so good, still smooth.

Elitest thrill junkie
    You are asking how a slightly smaller axle works?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yes, I sure would like to know myself. I am just about to start turning wrenches on a new steed.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by timsmcm View Post
    Yes, I sure would like to know myself. I am just about to start turning wrenches on a new steed.
    Dub is just a slightly smaller axle, most likely, when you get past the BS, SRAM probably invented this to allow for bigger bearings with frame-makers that refuse to lose the BB92 standard. The BB92 standard doesn't leave enough room for proper bearings and shell when a 30mm axle is used, so by slightly downsizing the axle, they can make one axle size for traditional threaded (24mm and external), BB30 and BB92 cranksets. This may not be compatible with your current BB, but if you are buying both a BB and a crankset, then no big reason not to. What I liked about the past SRAM stuff was they were using the exact same spindle standards as Race Face, so we could order Race Face fat spindles and mount non-fat SRAM crank arms on em, so that's one thing that may not work anymore with this new standard.

So I wrote this, and THEN I watched SRAM's "DUB video", yup, it's about them trying to streamline their stuff and not having to manufacture for various standards. I blame part of this on the absolutely POS BB92 standard. The problem with that one was that right when BB30 was starting to take off and RS and SRAM came out with 30mm carbon cranksets, a few frame manufacturers had worked with shimano to come up with the BB92 standard, designed around the shimano 24mm spindle. While this was well and fine when using a shimano crank, fitting a 30mm crank was like putting a square peg in a round hole, it wasn't meant to do it, so the bearings had to be tiny and the failure rates were high (I have one, yes, it's failed). As these carbon cranks got popular, these manufacturers instantly dropped the shimano spec and put the SRAM/RF cranks on there, with more doing the RF Nexts because they were simply the lightest out there. So you had all these manufacturers specing cranks they knew to be problematic for their BB standard, but they wanted to advertise light weights and didn't care how this would affect the consumer. BB30 was kind of screwed over by those cheap plastic BBs that SRAM speced for many years, but BB92 had it's own problems with few manufacturers actually using the cranks it was designed to use (across their product line).

As far as how it'll work, it'll work just like the current cranks, but with a slightly smaller spindle The difference is so small it's not even worth discussing IMO.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Well when I purchased my frame the bloke that runs the shop told me that this crank would give me the narrowest q factor for the frame I was buying. It's a sram xx1 with their dub bottom bracket. I wanted a carbon crank and have seen all the trouble people were having with the race face next sl cranks and he said I would like the sram better.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    I agree with Jayem. Market BS, as the spindle is 28.98mm or something, "allowing for bigger bearings blah blah". BUT, their cranks are the only ones that come in the shorter 165 size, i gave em a shot.

I am running 165mm DUBS on my Fatillac. Many, many chainring bashguard hits later, bearing still spin smoothly.

at the next BB bearing swap on my Aeffect equipped Wednesday, i will swap for the sram dubs.

Slow
    Jan 2011
    The 29mm "Dub" spindle still does not allow for threaded together bottom brackets in BB92 shells. Good luck with your press fits.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouchNJ View Post
    The 29mm "Dub" spindle still does not allow for threaded together bottom brackets in BB92 shells. Good luck with your press fits.
    luckily both my bikes are BSA... :P

mtbr member
    Just swapped everything out for a NX Eagle Groupset (with DUB BB)...had it about a month, so far so good.