AK kid who LOVES bikes!
    Mar 2018

Droppers on the snow?

Alright, all last year I rode my trek stache 29+ on the snow and it worked ok, but I often wished I had wider tires, so I recently bought a Farley! The main thing I notice with the farley is how often I reach for the dropper lever only to find itís not there! 😂 is a dropper worth it on a fatty? Iím a fairly technical rider and long distance races are what I love, but Iím also really tall and it helps a ton to drop my center of gravity when things get tricky. I know that my dropper saved me a ton last year on the plus bike, but will it on the fatty? All the local guys say no, but they also said I couldnít ever ride a plus bike in the snow and now they are all building up plus wheelsets for racing...... what do you guys think?

The White Jeff W
    I have one on my Farley and use it.

I use the PNW Cascade which uses a coil spring instead of air pressure. There was a 20% off coupon on their facebook page when I bought mine.

https://www.pnwcomponents.com/collec...-6mm-diameters
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Plus wheelsets for fatbike races or just to race fatbikes in MTB races?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ-AK View Post
    Plus wheelsets for fatbike races or just to race fatbikes in MTB races?
    ??? The OP has 2 bikes, a plus and a fat. Fatbike races have a minimum tire width requirement. Often it is 3.8".

I have a plus set of wheels for my Otso. Some races have classes for either mtb or fatties. With the plus wheels I can enter only the mtb class. With fat wheels/tires I can enter either.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Thanks Cheesehead, I know most fat races use the 3.8 standard. It was just the way the OP phrased his statement "they also said I couldnít ever ride a plus bike in the snow and now they are all building up plus wheelsets for racing" that kind of lead me to my question. It almost sounds like plus wheelsets are being built for winter style races. Perhaps I misunderstood.

Rocking on a Rocky
    I have a dropper on my plus bike and the only time I use it is to load it in the SUV. A dropped could be useful getting on and off in groomed single track.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

AK kid who LOVES bikes!
    Mar 2018
    Well, here in Alaska many of the races donít specify tire width so on really hard packed courses itís common knowledge that plus wheels are faster..... I was kinda thinking about a cheap KS post..... Iíve had good luck with their durability in the past and I can get a decent discount on them!

rth009
    May 2010
    I just bought a PNW cascade dropper for my fatty, which sees lots of all kinds of snow. It will be useful getting on started again in deep snow and will also be useful anytime I am descending, on any surface. After having a dropper on my trailbike for the last 2 years I cant imagine not having a dropper on any mountain bike, fat, plus or skinny.

mtbr member
    I've been using the e.134 TRS+ dropper on both my fatbike and FS trail bike. I've come to find that I really like the preset positions as it gives you a few consistent seat heights for different situations - fully extended for roads/fireroads, ~1" down for most trail riding (this is the height where my fixed post used to be set), lower positions or slammed for pumping/jumping, etc.

mtbr member
    Nevermind.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRIDERK9 View Post
    is a dropper worth it on a fatty?
    i ride the same way, on the same trails, year round, so for me the dropper stays on...

mtbr member
    ...Iím also really tall and it helps a ton to drop my center of gravity when things get tricky. I know that my dropper saved me a ton last year on the plus bike, but will it on the fatty? All the local guys say no...
    I don't own a fatbike but being 6'4" I learned a long time ago that 'normal sized' people have no idea what is right or wrong for us tall geeks. Go with what feels right for you.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    My bike has the cut out slots in the frame for one but Iíve almost always running with a seat bag so a dropper wonít work for me. I wouldnít use one enough to justify it for my local trails.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    I use one on my Fat bike.
    In the snow or not.
    I would miss not having one........spoiled.....probably!
    97' Brodie Expresso
    00' Turner RFX
    08' Turner RFX
    13' Surly Troll
    15' Surly ICT

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have 2 droppers, a Gravity Dropper and a Fox Transfer. I have given it two years to find the revolutionary benefit dropper posts offer other riders, but I guess it's not for me. I might consider the GD if I knew it was going to be post-hole hike-a-biking ahead of time because they are so easy to install (external routing) and I can see the advantage of trying to get underway with a low seat post in those conditions. They also make Q/R seat clamps which would solve the same problem for me with less complexity.
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have found that droppers come in handy on steep descents for me because I run a set back post with the saddle back about 1/2" due to my long femurs. What this means is that it is difficult for me to get back behind the saddle on descents, and I feel much more confident when romping around in typical fat back fashion, especially where I am riding in the middle of the woods where there isn't a trail.

The other time I have found it use full is in deep snow, but regardless of dropper or no dropper, getting going again in deep snow takes patience and practice.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I personally don't want to ride a bike without a dropper anymore. I use them constantly no matter where I ride. Going into fast corners, any sort of descent, or playing on something technical just feels awkward without one. I have been using a Giant Contact dropper on my fat bike for three seasons now. Running externally caused the mechanism to lock up after a year of use since it was constantly getting wet. I switched to running it internally and have had zero issues since.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Iím similar to woodsbiker. I ride my kids 16 Farley with a stiffy as it has a post bag.

First thing I did when I picked up a used 18 Farley was dropper and new cockpit!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    It was summertime when I picked up my Salsa Bucksaw, and it came with a reverb. I rode everything I usually do one my trail bike, and used the dropper all the time.

When winter rolled around I spent the season cursing on the reverb because it wouldnít work in the cold temps.

Last winter I upgraded to a bike yoke revive dropper. Itís been flawless, regardless of temperature. I use the dropper all the time in the winter, and would definitely miss it if it was gone.

Saving lives with knives.
    I have Bontrager drop line on my farley. It's my fat bike in the winter and my 29+ bike in the summer. Dropper and bluto 100% unless I am racing it on snow and then carbon fork goes back on. Bontrager post cartridge failed at 22 months of use no questions asked replacement cartridge. The action is very smooth.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

Elitest thrill junkie
    Iíve used it, it was occasionally nice, but I donít miss it when I donít have it installed. Fox transfer. If I wanted to run one all the time Iíd go for a mechanical like gravity dropper.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Gravity Dropper is by far the best dropper in the cold. I ride year around in Montana and my Reverb is fine to about 20-25.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Droppers on the snow?-12399313_1211062222255113_839418792_n.jpg  

rth009
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    I have one on my Farley and use it.

I use the PNW Cascade which uses a coil spring instead of air pressure. There was a 20% off coupon on their facebook page when I bought mine.

https://www.pnwcomponents.com/collec...-6mm-diameters
    How has the PNW cascade worked in cold temps, if you know. I just got my 30.9 150mm installed and it is very smooth in operation, and much easier to push down than my Reverb, so Im hopeful. It worked fine in 37F, but Im curious how it will function at 10F.

AK kid who LOVES bikes!
    Mar 2018
    Hmm, interesting! I work at a trek shop, so Iíd normally agree and go with a bontrager post, but my luck with them has been horrible! My first one lasted only 150 miles before it had deep scratches in the inner post from seal failure, bontrager sent a new one that lasted 200 miles before that happened again, so bontrager sent yet another that I got 300 miles out of before it died and then I sold the bike it was on the get my stache that came with a bontrager post..... this one lasted an astounding 500 miles before it mostly died, and I just kept running it even though it now has play forwards, backwards, side to side, up and Down, and doesnít return half the time, ohh and deep scratches and zero paint left, Iíll try to post a picture later. Iím at 1100 miles on that post now and itís officially 100% dead..... Iím thinking about KS since I can get a discount on them and I had one on my trail bike (base model $100 dropper) that lasted 1,300 miles and still functioned and looked brand new, but I unfortunately sold it to ďupgradeĒ to a longer travel bontrager post that was supposed to be more reliable! 🙄

Elitest thrill junkie
    Very important to consider the reliability, youíll spend more $$$ in the end with something that is less reliable, ultimately for replacing it and/or lost time. Most of us have been there. A couple places I do or would like the dropper would be the Turnagain Pass crust riding, epic descents are possible and itís easier than lowering and raising. The new Hillside trails as well, but the more snow we get the less you need it because you canít ride super aggressive. IMO itís hard to justify for a lot of winter riding, but not all.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Your bike sucks
    Iím thinking about KS since I can get a discount on them and I had one on my trail bike
    I have 3 KS droppers - I don't think they work all that great in the very cold. You may discover differently so w/ a pro discount worth a try.

This place needs an enema
    Hmm, interesting! I work at a trek shop,
    One idea would be to learn to work on them, or learn what you're doing wrong to kill so many in such a short time.

I've owned 4 on 4 different bikes. Ridden year round. Have yet to have a problem in 2+ years.

mtbr member
    I have 4 droppers, one was junk and quit working in the first year, 2 fox transfers that have been flawless year round including couple hour long rides near zero degrees, and a KS Lev CI that only gets used in nice weather on my XC race bike (also flawless).

With a 36.5Ē inseam I consider a dropper to be required equipment... but I havenít put one on my new Corvus because it doesnít support internal routing and I was trying to keep the cost down.

I havenít road it in deep snow yet but so far itís been fine. I am much slower going down than if I could drop but I have other bikes for that style of riding. I might end up with one at some point but I can actually understand why some people are so insistent that they are not needed. If I was 4Ē shorter in leg length I would probably be in the same camp.

AK kid who LOVES bikes!
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    One idea would be to learn to work on them, or learn what you're doing wrong to kill so many in such a short time.

I've owned 4 on 4 different bikes. Ridden year round. Have yet to have a problem in 2+ years.

I do know how to work on them..... Iím far from the only person thatís had issues around here..... Iíve torn mine apart numerous times and have had other guys at the shop work on them..... they just donít hold up here in Alaska..... maybe itís our clay like mud and grit? I certainly donít baby them, but I fully expect them to hold up in the rain! Iím planning on upgrading the post on my stache to a KS lev Ci on my stache (my race bike), howís the durability on yours flowby2wheels?

mtbr member
    My Farley EX8 has a dropper post. It works fine but never use it on single track let alone on the snow.

mtbr member
    Iím planning on upgrading the post on my stache to a KS lev Ci on my stache (my race bike), howís the durability on yours flowby2wheels?
    I have a 175mm version. As a race bike itís used hard but it also gets meticulous care. Around 2500 miles on it this year with a mix of 100mile, 50mile, and traditional XC races. Mostly dry conditions but there were some wet conditions in the mix. With the extra long length that makes the muck extra hard on things as it slides down. I would strongly recommend not dropping with dried on crud as that would certainly tear it up.

I can tell that the post is in need of a service but it works just fine. I suspect that screwing the seal collar off, cleaning, and putting some fresh slick honey in is likely enough to keep it going another season (possibly longer) without a major service.