Drop bar Mukluk- Mtbr.com

Thread: Drop bar Mukluk

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Drop bar Mukluk

It's probably already been discussed, but I am thinking of swapping cockpits from my Vaya with my Mukluk. Does anyone have any experience, concerns, warnings, pictures? Any advise is welcome. Talk me out of it. Encourage it. Whatever.
    Thanks for your time.

mtbr member
    I pulled a drop bar fatty thread from the bowels of the forum because I was thinking of doing the same thing to my pug. The Muk could be a better candidate with a higher front end. I swapped a bunch of handlebars in and out over a couple of weeks and right now I have flat bars with nice bar ends. I think for the pug this is about as good as it gets. I have the "hoods" position with bar ends just not the drops. If the front end of the pug was higher and didnt require so much spacers/stem action then I'd be a bit mroe tempted by the dirt drop idea, but as it is, I dont thing I'd get the position in the drops that would really make them worthwhile with my pug. Others might have different opinions, but I've also found that in soft stuff riding, not having as much weight on the front is better, thus the lower or farther forward position from drop bars wouldnt be ideal.

All that said, I want you to try it so that I can see it done. Velobike has drops on his 907 and they treat him well on the crazy conditions and distances that he rides.

mtbr member
    I have pugs, so my HT is shorter than the upright one of the Muk. But it is my understanding that MTB drops, you mainly want your bars to be above your seat height instead of the typical even or below for a road bike. When I put my lefty on my pugs, it gave my bike more of an upright feel to it so I decided to try Woodchippers. My partner in crime, Bethany1, was kind enough to hook me up with a set so my only expense was time and brake levers(which you probably have off the Vaya). So I did:
    Drop bar Mukluk-image.jpg

And I actually rather like it. I had to go with a shorter stem, otherwise the hoods were way to far to reach, let alone a useful hand position. Normally, you'll utilize the drop portion the most BUT what is the point if nothing else is? So my drops are set up with the tops slightly above saddle and the drops slightly below.

Like above poster, you need to ask yourself "why?" What purpose are you hoping to accomplish that might make it worthwhile? For me, Nebraska in the summertime is very dry, hot, and windy. Stuff gets packed down like concrete unless you ride IN THE LAKE(which I do occasionally) and so my needing upright slow going tricycle type turning is limited at best. Last year, my pugs was brand spanking new and I know what is like to ride with the Jones loops. Why not try drops this year?
    Last edited by Nakedbabytoes; 04-26-2013 at 11:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Shiggy gives a really good explanation

The main thing is to ignore current roadie (hipster?) style mimicking racers with their slammed bars and riding posture similar to a monkey pleasuring a coconut.

Look back in time a bit to when folk used to use their bikes as main transport. Bars were much higher in relation to saddles then, and that's our model for fatbikes, but only you can decide what's comfortable for you.

Edit: racers obviously are more concerned with aerodynamics than comfort, so they are likely to use lower bars.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Any bike, anywhere, anytime.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Human Test Subject
    it'd work better with the pre 2013 muks, but when i rode a 2012 i thought it would have been perfect.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes View Post
    I have pugs, so my HT is shorter than the upright one of the Muk. But it is my understanding that MTB drops, you mainly want your bars to be above your seat height instead of the typical even or below for a road bike. When I put my lefty on my pugs, it gave my bike more of an upright feel to it so I decided to try Woodchippers. My partner in crime, Bethany1, was kind enough to hook me up with a set so my only expense was time and brake levers(which you probably have off the Vaya). So I did:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	3812 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	793934

And I actually rather like it. I had to go with a shorter stem, otherwise the hoods were way to far to reach, let alone a useful hand position. Normally, you'll utilize the drop portion the most BUT what is the point if nothing else is? So my drops are set up with the tops slightly above saddle and the drops slightly below.

Like above poster, you need to ask yourself "why?" What purpose are you hoping to accomplish that might make it worthwhile? For me, Nebraska in the summertime is very dry, hot, and windy. Stuff gets packed down like concrete unless you ride IN THE LAKE(which I do occasionally) and so my needing upright slow going tricycle type turning is limited at best. Last year, my pugs was brand spanking new and I know what is like to ride with the Jones loops. Why not try drops this year?
    Are you still riding with drops? How do you like them after having some experience?
    Thx

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    (I don't know exactly where on the forum to post new bikes because it has become too big to oversee it so I just post it here and maybe a moderator can point it in the correct spot?)

Finally I have a fat bike, after following this part of the forum from the start. The growth of it..it's enormous!
    Thanks everyone for all the knowhow that I learnt here.
    I must say that I like riding trails on the fat one very much especially when the trail is intersectioned by sandy parts and beach, then it just hoovercrafts over it wow!
    The fat bike will never me my only bike for everything,but it will serve besides my Mones for general trail use. Here is a crappy Phone pic of my Muk.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Drop bar Mukluk-muklukbeach.jpeg  

Ridin ridin ridin..... raw ti!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Drop bar Mukluk-100_3632-medium-.jpg

I really wanted to like them on my Pug. The position was great on fast trails, but I couldn't get my weight off the front tire on the sudden sand pits where I usually ride this bike. The Dirt drops were also A little on the narrow side when trying to turn that big front tire around switchbacks. I am running a FU bar now and I miss the relaxed ride of the drops sometimes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by c_m_shooter View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3632 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	1059 
Size:	169.3 KB 
ID:	896377

I really wanted to like them on my Pug. The position was great on fast trails, but I couldn't get my weight off the front tire on the sudden sand pits where I usually ride this bike. The Dirt drops were also A little on the narrow side when trying to turn that big front tire around switchbacks. I am running a FU bar now and I miss the relaxed ride of the drops sometimes.
    Your bars look too low to me for offroad - but I don't know your body dimensions, so that's just a guess.

But while I'm guessing, I'd say lift them about 50mm or use a shallower dropbar.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Any bike, anywhere, anytime.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    They are the same height and reach as the drops on my Monocog and Fargo.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by c_m_shooter View Post
    They are the same height and reach as the drops on my Monocog and Fargo.
    that doesn't matter. You're reaching too far and velo is telling you how to fix that. The steerer tube to grip distance looks really big on those. not a small reach like I'd expect for a mtb drop bar on a bike that fits you with flat bars and conventional stem.