The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite - Page 5- Mtbr.com
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 801 to 1,000 of 3018
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    You've made a lot of assumptions in your posts. Don't mislead others with assumptions.
    How am I misleading? I said I assume. If someone was that dumb to combine "assume" with factual information.. well we do have you here so I do think we need to clarify.

Now do you know my experience in the matter? Not at all. So while you go about your way of blowing things out of proportion..

Living in Colorado I'm no stranger to snow. Having a vacation spot on the west coast I'm no stranger to the beach. I've ridden both snow and sand. Not with a fat tire bike, but with your standard mountain bike. All would be the same, minus the width of the tire. How one would differ over the other based on the increase of size is something I have yet to experience. But based on experience..

So watch yourself next time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by AshevilleMtBiker View Post
    Has anyone of you guys or girls taken the Dolomite on a rough singletrack? Will it handle well? No bent frames?

I have only had the Dolo for 5 days or so, lots of fun so far, but hope to make it to the local trail system this weekend(Millstone trails, Barre VT) and hit mostly moderate trails nothing to extreme. The northeast's forecast is to get 2''-4'' of rain from now till Friday so the trails might not be open this weekend. Also I just want to make sure the brakes are fully broken in before I hit a real trail with rock/roots/steep descents.

I re-greased the front hub tonight, and I gotta say, after it was properly packed with grease and the cones were set in the correct spec like I think Canoe had mentioned(with the Sheldon Brown hub link) the wheel just spins for days. Bike surprises me in a lot of ways.

And on that note, lots of people are talking about having issue with either stripping the bolts that hold the calipers on. Or breaking the heads off and needing new hardware. While trying to center the caliper over the rotor this evening I ran into these over torqued bolts. It looks like they must have been assembled with an electric or pneumatic gun at the factory, so they need to be loosened in the same fashion (minus the gun). Those types of assembly equiptment use the motor in them to hit a small hammer in the gun hundreds of times per second to tighten. SO we do the same (to the left ) with an allen wrench and a hammer.

I put the bike in my work stand, supported the weight of the hanging front tire with my foot so it wouldn't bob around. Stuck the allen wrench in and 3 taps to the left the bolt was loosened. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Another bolt people are having problems with are actually the small ones attaching the rotor to the hub. For some reason, a low grade steel was used, plus they are smaller with a shallower head. Same concept for removal though. A sudden impact will break them loose. Unfortunately, I haven't found a really cheap source for high quality replacement bolts other than getting a whole rotor & bolt kit. For the price though, not a bad set with better quality rotors. They were $6 a week ago, so they'll probably go back down again soon.
    Amazon.com : 2pcs Heat Shielding Disc Brake Bolts Rotor 160mm Silver fit for Avid HS1 : Bike Brake Rotors : Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    The rotor to hub bolts are standard 5mm bolts. Most hardware stores have them and they are very inexpensive.

Another option is to get the bolts from a bike shop, but they are usually $0.50 - $1 each.

mtbr member
    I ordered mine from Target.com for $250 and added the 3 year warranty for $29 as I figured it was a good idea after reading the thread. Fedex tracking shows it arriving on Friday. Fingers are crossed that it won't be late so I can take it out this weekend. I'll be sure to post pics when it arrives. I will be hitting the Hollywood Boardwalk and Beach for sure. I'm hoping I'll be comfortable on the Dolomite but we'll see. I also have my fingers crossed on getting the newer/lighter tires! Fedex says the entire box weighs 59.4 lbs!

I'm on the fence about a Boris X5 or Bullseye Monster though after reading about height issues. I'm 6'1" with a 35" inseam.

I see the Gravity 29er says the wheels are "HJC DA38 700Cx32H DOUBLE WALL, ALLOY BLACK" and the 27er are "HJC DA38 650Bx32H DOUBLE WALL, ALLOY BLACK."

Can someone translate that for someone not versed on bike wheels? I presume the 700 and 650 are diameters and the 32H is # of spokes but I'd like to know wheel widths and google wasn't much help.

I saw that the Bullseye Monster only has 50mm wheels and the Boris X5 has 80mm. I think I'll be okay with the 80mm coming from a Dolomite, but am unsure about the 50's of the Bullseye Monster. That's why I'm curious about the 27PLUS and 29PLUS wheels.
    -James

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Looking at this bike and thinking up a way to make an adapter to fit my 8 speed gear hub into the rear wheel... It's a Sturmey Archer with a disc flange. I saw how it's done on some other fatbikes that come stock with Nexus hubs. Guess all that's left to do is buy the bike and do it!

mtbr member
    32H is the number of spoke holes. 32 is fine for normal all purpose wheels, 36 for heavy duty bomb proof wheels for jumping off space ships, 28 for XC racing wheels, 24 for the mentally unstable XC racing wheels. 8H for crazy nut job road bikes.
    700 = 29er wheels and 700c road bikes wheels standard. Same rim diameter with different widths. You can put wide 700c road bike wheels on thinner mountain bike rims and narrow 29er wheels on wider road bike rims.
    650 = 27.5 wheels and 650b road bike wheels standard.

Looked up HJC, came across the following link. surprise, surprise, it's in chinese.

HER JIUNN CHENG Enterprise Co., Ltd. (HJC)

From what I can gather, the DA38 would have an outside width of 38mm and an inside with of about 32mm. Couldn't find the actual DA38 rim. This would be OK for the 29er plus sized wheel, which would be great for summer use. I wouldn't consider it anywhere close to a true fat tire experience. Probably a good bike, it's a 29er with bigger wheels.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info Watts! Yes, my understanding of Chinese is drawing pictures only. I think I'll keep my eye on the Bullseye Monster or the Boris X5 then if the Dolomite doesn't work out for me. 2 days to go!
    -James

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Canoe, Moike and other posters -
    As I was pondering the question "To Dolomite, or not to Dolomite?" I really appreciated your objective coverage of Dolomites on this thread in particular. After reading your posts for a few months, I finally took the plunge. Obviously made a few "cosmetic" modifications, which I can justify since it still is technically within the Dorel family of bicycles...but it feels good to get out and bike again, even I'm not doing it "hard core."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-dolo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Fenders:
    Has anybody tried an aftermarket trailer fender? I could see it on the back wheel, maybe on the front if cut/modified.
    CE Smith Trailer Fender ó 27 3/8in. Long Paintable Galvanized Flat-Top Round | Trailer Fenders| Northern Tool + Equipment

mtbr member
    Shipping dimensions says 8" wide, so I would assume the fender is at least 7" wide. That's pretty wide.

How about a motorcycle fender?

Amazon.com: Cycra 1CYC-2600-12 Universal Black Plastic Motorcycle Supermoto Fender: Automotive

mtbr member

Re: The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite

Getting ready to head off for long weekend down west coastThe Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-uploadfromtaptalk1414121363156.jpg

sent from my back yard

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    So I brought out the cheap bikes to the trails yesterday. The white one is a V2100 that we just put a new fork/tires/wheel on and that thing did well but there were so many leaves out that going downhill around corners I was just sliding all over. Its real wet up here btw.

Onto the Dolo now. So this bike was different in many ways on the trails. First the weight, I know that its a large topic of this bike in this thread alone and it was noticeable switching from one bike to the next (I took the v2100 out first). However it is not a real game changer for the ride. I notice it the most from a dead stop, with the 24T up front if you try going up any incline from a dead stop in gears 4-7 on the back you will feel the weight of the bike. Where as if you are in 1-3 it just feels like a mountain bike, the big difference (and I don't know if this is similar to any other model fatbikes) is that once you get moving lets say in 2nd gear after about 15-20ft the inertia of those wheels starts picking up speed and if you do not shift up your legs will just keep spinning on the pedals.

So it just requires a little more shifting range than my XC bike and the amount of things I can clear over (like bolders) is great. I was not sliding on the leaves on this bike, and traction for a wet day was great with these tires. I shot about 20 min of film because i hit everything from tight single track/uphill root climbs/sandy flats/RR tracks/pebble flat roads.

Now the footage will probably give most people a headache, because I mounted my camera on the handlebars but I uploaded one video so people could see that the bike could make it out there in the wild.

Crappy camera/crappy mount.

Don't kill me for all the shakiness!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    One of my biggest concerns is frame weight. Is it the frame that makes it so heavy or the rims/tires? I feel like you can change a lot but may be stuck with a ridiculous steel frame. Isn't steel more expensive than aluminum? Why the heck would they use a steel frame?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Steel is cheap and easy to work with. The bulk of the weight is in the wheels tires crank... Dunno about the rest. If you want to spend the money making it light, why not buy a light bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    Steel is cheap and easy to work with. The bulk of the weight is in the wheels tires crank... Dunno about the rest. If you want to spend the money making it light, why not buy a light bike.
    Because if it has the potential to be lighter (or more manageable than the 50lbs I believe it weighs), that could work.

I'd love a $3000 29lb specialized fatboy. It's a beautiful bike. But for $250 and maybe $100 in Amazon upgrades, it may still provide some fun.

I lifted the Beast at Wallyworld (not Dolo) and really didn't like the weight. But if I can get it down to 40lbs, or change the gears to make it more manageable, I may go that route.

Or....buy a Night Train Bullet and still save a lot over the specialized and have a much better bike than the Dolo.

Decisions decisions decisions! !!! Lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Lol... A hundred bucks will get you tires, maybe. You have to be realistic if upgrading is being factored into your budget.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I forgot to post the rest of my choppy shot vids. The bike may be a few more pounds but that should only make our legs stronger right?

At around 3:40 in this video I start climbing a 400 foot incline up the side of my local granite mountain, the bike moves quite well, I think I was in 3rd gear the whole way up it.

Between the tires and the primo pedals, this thing has had some nice grip, and my feet don't slide off at all. Took the bike out yesterday on a snowmobile trail that is currently under construction and is about 12'' of mud deep the whole way across. The bike made it up hill in the mud a few hundred feet on a pretty steep incline with a decent traction. So I'm really hoping for the best come the snow.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I apologize if I missed it somewhere in the thread, but can someone verify the rear spacing on the Dolomite? I found an earlier mention of 8 3/16ths inches, but that works out to 208mm and that just really doesn't sound right.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Quote Originally Posted by momikey View Post
    I forgot to post the rest of my choppy shot vids. The bike may be a few more pounds but that should only make our legs stronger right?

At around 3:40 in this video I start climbing a 400 foot incline up the side of my local granite mountain, the bike moves quite well, I think I was in 3rd gear the whole way up it.

Between the tires and the primo pedals, this thing has had some nice grip, and my feet don't slide off at all. Took the bike out yesterday on a snowmobile trail that is currently under construction and is about 12'' of mud deep the whole way across. The bike made it up hill in the mud a few hundred feet on a pretty steep incline with a decent traction. So I'm really hoping for the best come the snow.
    Thanks for your posts on your personal riding experience with this bike. Nice to see you are having fun with it. Definitely still on my short list of fat bikes!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    No worries, for some reason I posted a 3rd vid but I guess it didn't save. I recently visited NJ this summer (Avalon, and Atlantic City), coming from VT I could not believe how flat some areas are. A beach town like Avalon or some of the places posted in this thread that are in the Midwest would be ideal for the stock gearing of this rig. I wanted to see how this thing does on hills here, with the smaller cog (my street along along changes in elevation a few hundred feet with every quarter mile) to fill people in who also live in the mountains. Once again bike is heavy, but feels stable. And its cheap fun so far.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    My dolomite almost done quite a bit more done since these pics I'm waiting on my turbine cranks...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    How much do you have invested so far?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    To much after the cranks around 12-1300. Everything is new except forks and frame

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Lol damn

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Ha never expected to go this far... Kind of just happened

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    FYI for anyone who covets a second Dolomite wheel set from Mongoose for running BOA-G's, etc (might be better off to just buy another Dolomite, but at least you know they are available):

Mongoose Customer Support (Mongoose)
    Oct 30 09:08
    If you would like to purchase a separate set of rims for your Dolomite, you may do so by calling 800-626-2811. The front rim is $75.00 and the rear rim is $80.00 plus shipping and sales tax.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Pacific Cycles (the parent company, that fulfills warranties) has been really good to people so far from what I have read, and seen. I needed one part replaced and after an email on a Sunday night, the part was delivered to VT by Wednesday at no charge. Wouldn't be honest to tell them your wheels are defective, but I have heard that they go as far as to send a whole second bike to people if anything on a large scale is defective with the original purchase.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Got it back today. got to ride it home a few miles from my LBS. Can't wait to put a few more miles on her

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by PROJECT-BEAST View Post
    Got it back today. got to ride it home a few miles from my LBS. Can't wait to put a few more miles on her

And now that you have spent a lot of money on it you are going to see a new Surly Mukluk and say "I want a new frame..."
    The Dolomite is not a quality frame and in my opinion is pointless to spend any money upgrading. But, it's your money, not mine.
    Dropping into a trail

2019 Rocky Mountain Instinct A50 BC
    2019 Salsa Timberjack SLX
    2014 Trek Crossrip Elite

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Have you actually had one apart? Or had problems with one? I sandblasted this frame myself before powder coating and welds and frame seemed solid... I was actually semi impressed. I've seen and rode others but I have something that no one else has not something you can ride off show room floor. Until it breaks or causes me any problems I'm fine and happy with this bike it rides great, looks great and does what I needed it to do. Also if in the future I want to upgrade the frame I can and put all my parts off this on that and put the dolo back to factory. But yes it is my money and I appreciate your input.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Steel is the easiest thing to weld. I've seen more high priced aluminum frames break at the chainstay and head tube than I've seen cheap steel frames break anywhere. Come to think of it I've never seen a steel frame break except back in my bmx days, but when you're slamming your bike into rails and stuff that's kinda expected.

just ride
    Oct 2006
    Nice build! What's the weight now?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I haven't had a chance to weigh the whole thing yet, but I shaved almost 20 LBS with just the wheelset ha

mtbr member
    That's a lot of rimstrip sticking out. What pressure are you riding? I'd be reluctant to have that much "bulge" in the tube.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kafkaesque View Post
    FYI for anyone who covets a second Dolomite wheel set from Mongoose for running BOA-G's, etc (might be better off to just buy another Dolomite, but at least you know they are available):

If you would like to purchase a separate set of rims for your Dolomite, you may do so by calling 800-626-2811. The front rim is $75.00 and the rear rim is $80.00 plus shipping and sales tax.
    I think I'm going to have to call this number to see how much a beast bottom bracket axle costs, and if they have the width. The dolo is 189mm wide. If the beast is closer to 175, it'll narrow the pedals, and align aftermarket crankset's chainline a bit better. Also wouldn't hurt to have a spare axle for my I break something.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Ya I'm not sure the LBS filled them. I realized when i got home I had nothing to check my presta valves with. I plan on running 15-20 daily for my in town commute

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Watts888 you want the spindle for the crank? I have the factory one I'd sell cheap.

mtbr member
    If you've done bottom bracket upgrades that work, please post what you did here. this thread is huge and full of information. Just trying to consolidate some of it, especially what's worked.

http://forums.mtbr.com/mongoose-schw...l#post11558792

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Ha never expected to go this far... Kind of just happened
    Now.. if you were sitting here today without a bike and $1,300 cash - would you go the same route you did with the dolomite or just buy a pre-made bike?

Point Iím trying to learn is did you enjoy how you got here to a $1,300 bike or would you have rather just got it flat bam on the spot?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I would definitely go the same route I went. Not necessarily a dolomite but build frame up because the finished product is mine. I more than once almost bought a fat bike from the store. I looked at konas, Surlys, [email protected], etc and was never quite sold enough to pull the trigger. That's why I originally bought the dolo to see if I even wanted to go the fat bike route. About 20 miles in I'm extremely happy

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Not gonna lie there were times that were super frustrating trying to find parts that would fit or making them fit. But all in all was a good experience. And if you need to find a part that will fit I can tell you now ha. Next up is the MRP snowpack fork

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    The Dolo has been fun to build, but I now lust for a front suspension fat bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Good to hear. A man can do whatever he wants with his cash flow. But Iím just excited to see you enjoyed it the way you did. I respect that fully!

I ride both my Beast & Dolomite often. However, only around my neighborhood. I do want to get onto some trails and back woods to enjoy it.

Same for me..the walmart hogs were an entry point for me to see if Iíd like em and how much Iíd use them! While Iíll keep them, I will be keeping my eyes open for a big brand bike.. Fat tire bikes are simply just too cool to NOT ride!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Has anyone had luck with just upgrading the disc brake pads on the Dolomite? I've given the stocks about a month to break in and they are not the greatest. Before I order the BB7's I figured I would see if anyone had any success with just new pads.

Also , started tinkering with things again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I did new pads calipers and rotors, didn't want to mess with the factory. My rotor had a bend from factory

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I wouldn't bother with the pads. Seems like a waste of money. The bb7s offer unlimited adjustability and stopping power. Dumping good money into a bad brake setup is just a waste.

mtbr member

Huffy Excess

After dropping my wife's car to get serviced in Tallahassee I rode my bike about a mile to some trails. On the way I ran into a bunch of FAT at Academy Sports. There was a couple of Dolemites, Beast, & Massifs. One bike that caught my attention was this Huffy Excess. V-brakes on the rear but with disc mount. $299.

I like the low stand over and aluminum frame....may grab it for my wife.
    2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer (27.5+ Alfine 8 spd)

mtbr member
    Did you pick it up to get an idea of the Weight?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    That looks exactly like the dk duke

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blown240 View Post
    Did you pick it up to get an idea of the Weight?
    I didn't really attempt to pick it up knowing what them tires & tubes weigh. I have to go back down tomorrow and will take my scale.
    2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kafkaesque View Post

i'm seeing this just getting off work (around 1am) so i mean to call in the morning. but if you or someones sees this before i get to call, do you need a number off the frame? i emailed pacific maybe a month or so ago and was told i need a model number and production date off the frame to buy the wheel.

since i started with a beast i don't have the numbers. i'm wondering if something's changed or if i'll need those numbers.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Haro Front Fork?

mtbr member

Huffy Excess

Weight 48lbs, bottom bracket shell width 73mm, rear drops 197mm est.

2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    Thats a BB spindle I would like to get my hands on!

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunalic View Post
    Weight 48lbs, bottom bracket shell width 73mm, rear drops 197mm est.

That bike isn't worth it in my opinion. It is very heavy, and has really bad component spec. Especially the rear rim brake is something that I would not want on a fatbike.
    Dropping into a trail

2019 Rocky Mountain Instinct A50 BC
    2019 Salsa Timberjack SLX
    2014 Trek Crossrip Elite

mtbr member
    May 2012
    see the frame has the caliper brakes on the rear, wonder if the hub has the mounting for the disk rotor, just not being used/installed

mtbr member

Thats a BB spindle I would like to get my hands on!
    It won't fit on the dolomite as it needs a 100mm BB

sent from my back yard

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr pinga View Post
    It won't fit on the dolomite as it needs a 100mm BB

sent from my back yard
    That a true, but it would fit in a 73mm full suspension frame. Then just widen the rear for a fs fatty!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    That bike isn't worth it in my opinion. It is very heavy, and has really bad component spec. Especially the rear rim brake is something that I would not want on a fatbike.
    As someone said about that in the DK Duke branding...
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    ... Rear vee brakes? On a fat bike? Without machined sidewalls on the rims? Talk about $hit brake performance...
    That rear brake would be a deal breaker for me.

And is it just me, or does that geometry look like six or seven inches of trail?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    My Dolo with some mods done-

Elixir 7 brakes - 180mm front, 160mm rear
    Shimano 7 spd shifter
    Bmx cruiser bars
    Odi Rogue grips
    Take off pedals from my DH bike
    And yes..... The pegs

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-image.jpgThe Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-image.jpgThe Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I believe that fork says Hard, not Haro. Same as the DK Duke. I wonder if the DK Duke is 73mm BB as well? A fat bike that can use the BBSO2 mid drive!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I know of another bike that came at almost that weight and didn't have very good components. A lot of us own it

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I think the bike has a 200 lb weight limit though

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Just bought mine right now at Costco Canada (http://www.costco.ca/.product.387644.html) @ CAD $259.99 + $13.00 (taxes).

Let's see how a 6.2 person will ride on it...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by virtu View Post
    Just bought mine right now at Costco Canada (http://www.costco.ca/.product.387644.html) @ CAD $259.99 + $13.00 (taxes).
    Hey, they're back!
    (no longer available for a while)

And let us know if it comes with the original ribbed tires or with the newer knobby tires like their ad says.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'4" with a 34" inseam, and a 400mm post is at the edge of comfort at the posts minimum insertion depth. If you can find one, get a 450mm post. If you just ride gravel or smoother, amazon has a 100mm rise avenir handle bar for $12.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Had my dolo weighed at my LBS yesterday I'm down to 36 lbs and still have heavy tubes

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Had my dolo weighed at my LBS yesterday I'm down to 36 lbs and still have heavy tubes

How much weight did you save on just the wheels?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    I'm 6'4" with a 34" inseam, and a 400mm post is at the edge of comfort at the posts minimum insertion depth. If you can find one, get a 450mm post. If you just ride gravel or smoother, amazon has a 100mm rise avenir handle bar for $12.
    What you think about this seatpost: Aluminum MTB Bike Bicycle Seatpost 25 4 27 2 28 6 30 8 31 6x300 350 400 450mm | eBay ?
    Version [email protected]?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I think around 12 ish maybe a little more

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hey, they're back!
    (no longer available for a while)

And let us know if it comes with the original ribbed tires or with the newer knobby tires like their ad says.
    It will take at least 2 or 3 weeks to receive but as soon as I open the box I am going to take pictures about the bike and the tires to post over here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I think around 12 ish maybe a little more
    Not wheels and tires, just wheels. Unless there is 12lbs to be saved in those aluminum rims

mtbr member
    That post should be fine. It won't be super light, but probably still lighter than stock. Plus 450 is a nice length!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    That post should be fine. It won't be super light, but probably still lighter than stock. Plus 450 is a nice length!
    Thanks, just bought it

Now have to decide which kind of flat pedals (to be used on snow conditions) and wait the bike arrived

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I'm pretty sure it was 12 without tires

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Thanks, just bought it

Now have to decide which kind of flat pedals (to be used on snow conditions) and wait the bike arrived
    I recommend plastic bmx pedals from any reputable brand... You don't have to spend crazy money. Metal flats are nice, until you slip and lose your skin.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    For whom painted the rims.

Do you removed the red color or do you simply apply the new paint on top of it?
    I am thinking to paint with a flat black, but first I'd like to receive some tips how to do that.

If you removed the paint, what kind of product did you used?

Thanks for any help.

Edit: probably I will use Plastdip or Flexdip directly on the top of the original paint. Will use painters tape to protect the parts that I do not want to paint and apply the spray all over the rim, but the bike still not even shipped yet
    Last edited by virtu; 11-19-2014 at 10:19 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Looks like there will be better tires for the massif/compac bikes

Specialized Launches 20? & 24? Kid?s Fatbikes With Lots Of Color Options

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Bike shipped, ETA from UPS to 11/26
    Now, let's wait!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Those specialised bikes look pretty cool.. I wish I was a kid again. Or really really short lol

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ... I am thinking to paint with a flat black, but first I'd like to receive some tips how to do that. If you removed the paint, what kind of product did you used?
    for diy painting of bikes, rims, etc., search the forums over at

www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I was thinking of spray painting my Dolomite in some ďHammered metalĒ type paint. Interesting colors and a unique texture.

Next on my list is fender for the front. Iíd like to ride my Dolomite in the rain

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Has anyone successfully gone tubeless with their dolomite rims? What methods work? I'm running Surly Lou tires and the beads don't stay seated when I let the air out so I cant see how tubeless is going to work with them.

Just add more stans right?

Update: during my efforts to go tubeless on the rear, the surly Lou has stretched out a bit and is now rubbing on the chain stays. I imagine the front will eventually stretch out too and start rubbing the steerer tube. So in conclusion, the surly Lous won't fit on the dolomite .
    Last edited by j.rex; 11-29-2014 at 07:07 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by j.rex View Post
    ... I'm running Surly Lou tires and the beads don't stay seated when I let the air out so I cant see how tubeless is going to work with them.
    Just add more stans right?
    I haven't done it yet, but I've researched it. A lot.
    Sometimes the bead diameter is too large for the rim diameter and you can't get a good seal - period. One solution is more tape wrapped around the rim, to make the effective rim diameter larger. Another, is to put foam (like sill plate gasket) on top of the sealing tape, then more tape on top of the foam; this sometimes fails in time as the foam compresses. Another way, and seems to be the most problem free, is to use split-tube tubeless, as the 24" split tube increases the effective rim diameter, making for a good fit; some tire/rim combinations need thick 'downhill' tubes for their extra thickness. Another way to increase the effective rim diameter is to put a narrow strip of tape onto the rim where the bead will seat, then put your sealing tape or split-tube over that.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    p.s.
    A narrow strip of thick tape on the rim slightly inboard of where the bead sits may help keep your Lou sitting where it should. Cheap to test.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Sloppy slushy day in Vermont

Floaters were fun, weather was really warm up here for late November!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite

Got my Ironhorse Dolomite from costco.ca
    Front brake was inoperable, scratched fork. So far I've switched out the saddle and put in Surly light tubes and Surly Larry 3.8's. Wow, what a difference good tires make! Feels like a different bike. Next is hydro brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnuts View Post

Got my Ironhorse Dolomite from costco.ca
    Front brake was inoperable, scratched fork. So far I've switched out the saddle and put in Surly light tubes and Surly Larry 3.8's. Wow, what a difference good tires make! Feels like a different bike. Next is hydro brakes.

Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow in Alberta
    Can you upload a picture with a higher resolution?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    For whom painted the rims.

Do you removed the red color or do you simply apply the new paint on top of it?
    I am thinking to paint with a flat black, but first I'd like to receive some tips how to do that.

If you removed the paint, what kind of product did you used?

Thanks for any help.

Edit: probably I will use Plastdip or Flexdip directly on the top of the original paint. Will use painters tape to protect the parts that I do not want to paint and apply the spray all over the rim, but the bike still not even shipped yet

I wanted something besides the bright red, and granted the paint is on there very nice and super thick. But I didnt want to paint over it and have the color chip from stones on the trail and scratches from under the paint revealing the old red color. Powder coating would have required disassembling the whole wheel, which I was not up for and would have cost a few bucks, maybe a couple hundred.

So I just stripped them with Aircraft Stripper, under the advise of one of the guys on the FB page. No its just aluminum, so nothing to see under if it chips. I didn't clear coat over it cause aluminum doesn't rust. So before tires I have about $10 into the cost of my wheelset and way too many hours stripping/drilling/and deburring.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Hydro brakes make a BIG difference... almost crashed riding a wheelie since I was not used to the brakes actually grabbing. They will lock up the big meats. I found a set of brand new take offs with rotors and all the hardware off of PB for $50 + shipping. You may want to start there.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ... its just aluminum,... I didn't clear coat over it cause aluminum doesn't rust...
    The aluminum surface will oxidize, forming a protective layer that prevents further oxidization.

Except for those of us where they salt the roads in winter: the salt can corrode the aluminum away, so we need something to protect it, be it your choice of: clear-coat, powder-coat, paint, possibly a drying oil (linseed, Penetrol, etc.), or a wax on top or just a wax. If you're around salt, expect to need something.
    Which is why anodized is so popular. And even then, sometimes that surface benefits from sealing with a wax.

And often on less expensive bikes, you need a wax over paint, to seal any micro pores in its inexpensive paint job.

Also aggravated by salt, one might have an issue between the spoke nipples and bare aluminum rims, so watch there to see if you need to seal with wax. If you're redoing a wheel, anodized nipples are relatively cheap.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Virtu, I'm in Alberta too, calgary. What do you want a picture of? The bike as a whole or anything in particular?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Virtu, I'm in Alberta too, calgary. What do you want a picture of? The bike as a whole or anything in particular?

I am in Red Deer and my bike is supposed to arrive tomorrow. If you do not mind, I just want a picture of the whole bike and the original tires.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

The originals next to a 3.7 Surly Endomorph

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Thanks a lot

It seems that the Ironhorse version comes with the old model of tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Well I got 1 tire to hold air without a tube, 2 layers of foam, a bunch of tape, and plenty of stans. I'm not real confident with it yet, gonna try some other stuff and then maybe I'll post some pictures.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    That's it
    Ironhorse Dolomite (Canadian version) bought at Costco.ca for $259.99

Later I will post my first impressions, but my rear brake is not adjusted yet and everything else working fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Link?

I have a costco membership as well.. be intrigued to know if itís avail in the USA. My girl works at costco so may be able to snag a deal upon a deal

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaBum View Post
    Link?

I have a costco membership as well.. be intrigued to know if itís avail in the USA. My girl works at costco so may be able to snag a deal upon a deal
    Costco is out of stock again (two times in a week), but the link is: http://www.costco.ca/Ironhorse%C2%AE...100106109.html

Or, try to find by Ironhorse Dolomite.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I tried searching for it, no luck.

I also clicked your link, no luck.

Iím in USA so the market will vary compared to you cooler folk up north..

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Quote Originally Posted by ImaBum View Post
    I tried searching for it, no luck.

I also clicked your link, no luck.

Iím in USA so the market will vary compared to you cooler folk up north..
    They have it on the walmart website in the US as the mongoose dolomite. For $249. It where I purchased mine- had shipped it to the closest walmart store

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Just added a race face stem, MEC bars and a tektro front hydraulic brake. Heading out into the snow for a ride now

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    The aluminum surface will oxidize, forming a protective layer that prevents further oxidization.

Except for those of us where they salt the roads in winter: the salt can corrode the aluminum away, so we need something to protect it, be it your choice of: clear-coat, powder-coat, paint, possibly a drying oil (linseed, Penetrol, etc.), or a wax on top or just a wax. If you're around salt, expect to need something.
    Which is why anodized is so popular. And even then, sometimes that surface benefits from sealing with a wax.

And often on less expensive bikes, you need a wax over paint, to seal any micro pores in its inexpensive paint job.

Also aggravated by salt, one might have an issue between the spoke nipples and bare aluminum rims, so watch there to see if you need to seal with wax. If you're redoing a wheel, anodized nipples are relatively cheap.
    Good points for those using this thing on the road. I will specifically be sticking to off road/snowmobile trails with this bike. Also waxing the frame is a little too much for me. I'll just keep wrapping more parts in electrical tape.

I stripped my wheels on the 3 series a few winters ago and didn't re-clear them, I think its been 4 years and they are still nice. Every summer I hit them up with a buffing of turtle wax, and a rag(the only thing turtle wax seems to be good for, polishing aluminum)

first done

This summer

6" of snow this evening in VT, my first few impressions of this bike are so much different than when I first rode it. The bike feels so light compared to riding on hardpack trails, I was actually ridin the other day thinking"I wish this bike was a few more pounds to get me some more grip"

Cant wait to test it out more tomorrow in the 12'' or so that we will get overnight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    More pictures, from the moment that I got the box at home to the moment that I was almost finished to assemble it.

First impressions:
    01. Headset or something on the stem/headset/nut/fork is making turning the handlebar left or right very tight. I just took off the headset and lube it, but I do not know if is going to work, but that's ok to ride in this conditions.

02. Rear hub is not in the best lube, you can feel it when spin the pedals backwards, there are something that can be improved on this part, but, again, it is ok to ride in this conditions.

03. Derailleur came already very well adjusted from factory.

04. Seatpost for a 6.2 feet person is ok, but for a better experience and better fit a 400mm will be perfect.

05. The group of components bottom bracket and its bearing, freewheel and its bearing, rear hub and its bearing can be improved too (just like item 02), and probably the bike will ride better after this.

06. Brakes is the bottom part of the whole bike, and every time that I removed the wheel, after I put it back I had to adjust the caliper to avoid rust the disc =/, but, for a $250 bike it is ok.

07. Like Yoda speaking, interest will be to have a 32t or 28t cog in the crankset.

First conclusions:
    This is not a user-friendly bike, the user must have some basic bike mechanic skills and the will to learn more.

So, beginners will need help to adjust this bike up to the moment that they will learn how to do by their own, all other riders will be happy with this bike with their expectation are not too high.

Besides that, I really enjoy this bike, and I am sure that after little upgrades or work on actual components (just like every user did here, lube-lube-and-lube all moving parts), this bike is a bargain at $250.

Thanks and sorry for any mistake in my simple english.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazyk View Post
    They have it on the walmart website in the US as the mongoose dolomite. For $249. It where I purchased mine- had shipped it to the closest walmart store
    Oh I already have one. And a Beast. Iíd be interested in getting one from Costco given their lifetime refund policy..

I got my Dolomite for $225 in store (stock) when they had em listed for the $250 from the previous $350 a few weeks prior.

One hell of a bike for $225!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Having to reset the caliper is pretty normal. What I do is, use a marker to mark the nut on the hubs axle on a mark on the frame so when I put the wheel back on its in the same place so it won't rub.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Having to reset the caliper is pretty normal. What I do is, use a marker to mark the nut on the hubs axle on a mark on the frame so when I put the wheel back on its in the same place so it won't rub.
    If you do not mind, can you take a picture of it?

And, definitely have something wrong with my headset. Next time I will take everything off, clean, lube and put together, it it does not work, I will need to spend a few bucks in a new headset.

Components that I already bought but did not arrive yet:
    a. 28.6/450mm seatpost (~ $12.00);
    b. 670mm carbon handlebar 31.8, but will install only next year (~ $20.00 after paypal coupon).

Total spent of CAD $304.99 (USD 270.82)
    Ironhorse Dolomite $272.99 (after tax)
    Seatpost $12.00
    Carbon Handlebar $20.00

Components that I am willing to buy:
    c. New Headset (if needed);
    d. New Stem (probably between 90mm to 100mm);
    e. New Grips (if the stock ones will not fit on the new handlebar);
    f. Fixed Seat clamp 31.8

Also, some tools I will need:
    g. Freewheel remover;
    h. 17' wrench or adjustable wrench (to use to clean and lube the hubs).

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Are you over tightening the headset? I can take a pic of what I'm talking about tomorrow

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Are you over tightening the headset? I can take a pic of what I'm talking about tomorrow
    I have to check that, tomorrow I am going to loose the top bolt (cap bolt) and check what happen.

Thanks.

Edit: just did that, loose and tight enough just to hold down the cap, now it seems better, and I believe that after I remove everything, clean, and lube, can be even better. Thanks for the tip.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The top cap should be snug. Hold the front brake and rock the bike back and forth and when there's no play it's right enough.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    This seatclamp will fit at Dolomite (31.8mm version)?
    Brand-X Seat Clamp & Bolt 2013 | Chain Reaction Cycles

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Total spent of C$395.46 (USD 347.36)
    Ironhorse Dolomite C$272.99 (after tax)
    Generic 28.6 450mm Seatpost C$12.00
    Race Face Carbon Handlebar 31.8mm 670mm C$20.00 (after coupom)
    Gusset Clench Seat Clamp White, 31.8mm C$10.99*
    Clarks Exo Skeletal Hydraulic Disc Brake White, 160mm, Pair - Left Hand Front/Right Hand Rear C$55.99*
    Crank Brothers Cobalt 2 Stem Black - Silver, 90mm, 31.8mm, 1.1/8" C$23.49*
    *probably I am going to receive 5% cash back, if that happens, the total cost will decrease C$4.52.

Also, I bought a generic shimano freewheel remover (New Cassette Freewheel Remover Removal Repair Tool CY5P for Bike Bicycle Shimano | eBay), and if it works, that would be nice, because it costs only C$2.20

So, for USD 348 a fat bike, with carbon handlebar and hydraulic disc brake, I think that is a nice value for a simple steel fat bike.

Another thing that I was talking with some friends, besides the frame be 18', the ride position for a 6.2 feet (190cm) is very ok for up to 20km ride. Above that, for example 40km, a large seatpost (350mm or 400mm) will become a good investment.

In my honest opinion, the Ironhorse Dolomite and its sister from Mongoose is a very nice fat bike for the value, and with a brake upgrade it can be even better, because the brake that came with the bike is not the best one for 190lbs (+/- 90kg) person.

The brake was the only component that I really did not liked on that bike, probably if changed only the brake levers and lube the cables it can get a little better, but I had a chance to buy a simple set of hydraulic disc brakes and that was a good deal.

One last thing, besides the lack of upgrade on the freewheel, the one that came in stock is good for the kind of terrain that I ride (flat and some little uphills), but with time we can get used with the gear ratio, by the way, we are bikers

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Here is the most current iteration of my dolomite. Still need to upgrade brakes. So far I am under $200 in upgrades even counting the fork and tires. Still have to drill the rear wheel upgrade brakes and change the cranks and bb. After all of that I will still be sub $300 for upgrades.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Bike looks good, what fork did you go with?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    White Bros snowpack

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Where did you get the fork so cheap? I have been looking they are around 300+ for a new one

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Fatbikes.Com garage sale for $100 last weekend.

They had around 10 nib.

in the closeout section of their website they are $250.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Nice great buy

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for letting us know haha

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    My bad, how fast could you have made it to Anchorage?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I do remember someone on one of the boards posted up that sale on fatbikes.com. I got to do a few more hours of snow riding this Holiday weekend, I was really happy with how the bike/tires performed

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've got a friend out there actually lol

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    The deals they had were awesome a guy walked out with a new xl moonlander frameset for $225. 9zero7 carbon forks for $150. 9zero7 small frame $450. $200 wheelsets. I got there 5 minutes after they opened and stuff was moving out the door. They were talking about making it an annual deal.

They didn't prepublish prices before hand so I didn't know what to expect.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    So we made it up to Malta, NY right near the race track in Saratoga. Home for the holiday so I figured i'd load up the bikes and hit up the trails with friends. Anyone in the Capital region of NY should have a fat biking blast at this spot. I could barely walk some of the spots on the trail they were so slippery, but the bike didn't miss a beat!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i don't know if it's just a cyber monday thing, or it will last a while, but they're $199 right now on walmart.com.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by philphine View Post
    i don't know if it's just a cyber monday thing, or it will last a while, but they're $199 right now on walmart.com.

Is a great deal.plus shipping is free to my home.....I am going to buy one right now...what the hell..$200..it will be a good starter for me..if i enjoy it I will up grade to a more higher end model...thanks walmart...

I KNOW IT WAS $249.00 YESTERDAY..I THINK IT IS ONLY FOR CYBER MONDAY..<script type="***************" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/419743b4/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    yeah, i've been checking the site everyday because they did similar with the beast last year (they're on sale too, $159). plus i have a gift card my job gave me, so it's $170 total for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hey guys,

Need some help and suggestion to replace the chainring for a smaller one. I'd like something between 24t to 30t on the front, but right now I have no idea what to do.

Bottom bracket, chainrings and crankset I do not have too much experience, so it's a brand new field that I want to learn a little bit more.

So, if you have any suggestion in which chainring to use, be my guest

Tks.

mtbr member
    There is a lot of info in this thread about crank swaps. But basically just get a cheap MTB crankset that uses a square taper bottom bracket. You should be able to get one for less that $40.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

mtbr member
    Hey guys,
    So, if you have any suggestion in which chainring to use, be my guest

Tks.
    Amazon.com : Vuelta MTB Comp Crankset : Bike Cranksets And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

Just grab the chain with your hands and move it to the gear you want. 22 for trail, 32 for road. This one allows you to swap chainrings if you want and find a cheap 26T. Only tool you'll need is a crank-arm puller. $8-15 or get one in a $50 bike tool kit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I agree with above, I'm using the shimano atlas Amazon.com : Shimano Altus 28x38x48t 7/8spd 170mm Square w/ Guard : Bike Cranksets And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

same concept, not front derailer. This weekend I might try and remove the 42t for a tad bid of weight savings and inconvenience factor.

mtbr member
    Between those 2 crank sets, the Vuelta is a better deal. It has bolt on rings, instead of pinned, and a better gear range. Plus it's less money.

The Altus may be more of a hybrid bike setup since its a 28-38-48.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Sorry! I linked the wrong one I went 22/32/42
    Amazon.com : Shimano FC-M311-L Alivio/Acera/Altus Chain Wheel Set (Black) : Cycling Equipment : Sports & Outdoors

But the above post is correct, these are pinned sprockets and not easily removable, so thats gonna be a pain in the butt this weekend.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Stupid Rotor Bolts

So last week I ordered a new set of brakes to install for trail use. They were suggested by a member on another forum and have great stopping power. Problem is that those rotor bolts gave me the same hard time that everyone else ran into with them. After I figured out how to remove one of the bolts easily with this procedure the rest of them came right off, I'd say 5minutes per hub. Either way here is the trick

You need a rotary too with cut off wheel
    A drill with a small bit
    Flat head screwdriver

So remove the wheel cut a straight line down the head of the bolt in the center with your cut off tool.

Make sure its a deep enough line for the screwdriver to get some torque. I went too shallow on one cut and the head just peeled when I turned the screwdriver on it.

Then I drilled a really small hole in the center of the bolt to take its strength away.

Turn bolts to the left with so much ease,

Clean off the shavings and install a new rotor,

One person on the Facebook group asked "What should I be able to do with this bike if I'm not mechanically inclined" I think the answer to that is don't but this model bike. I love working on things so this bike is a fun project for me, and a cheap amount for the fun. But if you dont have any tools and you don't have the patience to learn repair, this thing will drive you nuts!

mtbr member
    for some good $35 fat bike tires (not so good in the snow or mud, but good reviews on dry stuff) vee tire co has the vee mission and V8 120tpi tires on sale for $35 each. not real aggressive tread, but a heck of a lot lighter than stock tires. I rode a specialized fatboy with their 4.7" ground control tires, and I was amazed by how much better the lighter tire steered. Bought a mission yesterday, they shipped today. I think theyre getting rid of old stock because people aren't buying them at retail price. For $35, at least get one for up front to help with steering.
    Mission

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Not the best camera, but at least it worked: (1080p available)

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hey guys , I recently ordered my Dolomite from Walmart.com on cyber monday and they gave me a delivery date of Fri. 12/5. Today I got the news that it was "delayed" with no updated delivery date. I know from reading it's not uncommon for these bikes to get back ordered. I was really looking forward to puting it together and getting riding. i was wondering what type of delay others have experienced ,because I'm a little bummed and could use a little hope .

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Got Mine..??

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy11 View Post
    Hey guys , I recently ordered my Dolomite from Walmart.com on cyber monday and they gave me a delivery date of Fri. 12/5. Today I got the news that it was "delayed" with no updated delivery date. I know from reading it's not uncommon for these bikes to get back ordered. I was really looking forward to puting it together and getting riding. i was wondering what type of delay others have experienced ,because I'm a little bummed and could use a little hope .

I ordered my Dolomite on the 1st and it came today...I never got any information on the shipping noticed....so I was surprised I got it 4 days after I ordered it..I live in northern Maine..I would check with them with an email..you can email them through your order form..go to your Walmart account to find it..I did email them on the 2nd and they told me that I would get a shipping invoice giving me the shipping date...I never got one..but the bike came today..The bike is still listed so I'm not sure why you got a shipping delay..I would email them..they might give you some more info on it..They are busy right now, so that might be your issue. The bike looks great..boxed up nice and everything looked great..the pedesl suck so I am buying some red ones which are wider. Overall the bike looks great for $204.00 shipped to your house!!...Since I did not spend a fortune on this bike i can buy some upgrades for it...pedals, seat, lights...etc..Good luck with your Dolomite..it will be at your door soon!!<script type="***************" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/70fb2cf6/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="***************" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/70fb2cf6/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="***************" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/70fb2cf6/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks 06BR , I have boxes of upgrades waiting !!! And your transaction sounds not too bad . I can't wait to build this thing !!!

Brackish
    A buck 99 is too good to pass up, just pulled the trigger on one of these monsters.

*Edit, ordered that cheap 450mm post from a few pages back, too. Seems like a good bet for a tall guy on a one-size-fits-all rig.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle View Post
    A buck 99 is too good to pass up, just pulled the trigger on one of these monsters.

*Edit, ordered that cheap 450mm post from a few pages back, too. Seems like a good bet for a tall guy on a one-size-fits-all rig.
    I did it to. waiting for it to come in. I've been using a 27.2 post with a shim, and even at 400mm, it was still just a bit too short. that extra 2 inches should make a huge difference.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

I bought that too and received yesterday... one of the best upgrade that I did in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i ordered cyber monday (they're still $199), and i got the notice that it's at the store now. i also ordered the rear wheel from pacific a while back and git it yesterday.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 06bigruckus View Post
    I ordered my Dolomite on the 1st and it came today...I never got any information on the shipping noticed....so I was surprised I got it 4 days after I ordered it..I live in northern Maine..I would check with them with an email..you can email them through your order form..go to your Walmart account to find it..I did email them on the 2nd and they told me that I would get a shipping invoice giving me the shipping date...I never got one..but the bike came today..The bike is still listed so I'm not sure why you got a shipping delay..I would email them..they might give you some more info on it..They are busy right now, so that might be your issue. The bike looks great..boxed up nice and everything looked great..the pedesl suck so I am buying some red ones which are wider. Overall the bike looks great for $204.00 shipped to your house!!...Since I did not spend a fortune on this bike i can buy some upgrades for it...pedals, seat, lights...etc..Good luck with your Dolomite..it will be at your door soon!!<script type="***************" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/70fb2cf6/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="***************" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/70fb2cf6/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="***************" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/70fb2cf6/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>
    I just got a Walmart shipping notice email..they informed me that my bike was shipped and it would be here on the 8th...FUNNY THING... I GOT IT YESTERDAY...sounds like Walmart has some issues with FedeX...thought I would let others know about it..oh ya it's 3am in the morning here in COLD Maine...10 degrees out!!

Brackish

I bought that too and received yesterday... one of the best upgrade that I did in my opinion.
    Great, thanks for the feedback!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Couldn't pass up for 199..and already had 200 in giftcards so even better!

My main concern with this bike is weight. How can I get this bike to around 35lbs for under $200..or is it even possible?

Also, for snow riding, what mods would be required if any (brakes, gears, etc).?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    It cost me around $1500 to get mine to 35lbs

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Your most likely need to read through this blog..lots of great info..I have been reading it for several days...I have since purchased 3 items...will need to get several special tools also...good luck..<script type="***************" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/ff44e6cc/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Can someone tell me or copy and paste the tools I need to pull the cranks and the rear gears.. I am new at working on you own bike and I want to get some basic tools that I need..I think the crank puller I need it shown below..just what to make sure..I also plan to change the gearing in the rear...

Amazon.com : Park Tool Compact Crank Puller : Bike Hand Tools : Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by lethalsvt View Post
    How can I get this bike to around 35lbs for under $200..or is it even possible?
    Start with tires.

Then, buying a drill is probably the only way to get down to 35# for under $200.

Brackish

My strategy for this thing is to spend no more than $50 on equipment changes, I have $36 left after the seatpost, and just check out whether I even like fatbiking. I have access to sandy beach riding, snow and XC trails so if it's so awesome that I feel like the bike is holding me back I will save up for different platform. If it's not for me, I'll have a beater cruiser bike to mess around with. Win/win, when the proper number of bikes to own is n +1.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    got it assembled and looking at it (no time to ride and it's raining anyway). for now i have no mod plans. i have a mega range cluster, but i may not bother with it either. i pretty much just grabbed it while the price was good. the beast is my main fat bike project still, so this will just be an alt cruiser for now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    For $150(tires and tubes) you shave 9lbs off the stock weight of the bike. Another 1-1.5 pounds if you drill both wheels depending on the size of the hole you use. After some brakes and a smaller gear up front I'm $200 into the bike at about 40lbs. I think its going to cost a good amount more to get that next 5 or so pounds off and thats kinda the tipping point with this bike, how much is it worth to get it to "normal fat weight".

Either way, with a 22-24t cog up front this thing moves well in the snow, and new tires make a whole world of difference. Most any fatbike is not going to come with great snow tires to start out with so I dont even really consider the tire price an "upgrade" to get the Dolo on par with the BD bikes seeing as the all come with 3''72TPI tires stock.

If anyone has any eureka moment that leads to shaving off any additional weight I'm up for hearing it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I just bought two of these for 199.99 (Post Black Friday Sale)
    These are almost the most perfect Cabin bikes, and that is exactly where these two are going to live from now on.
    In the storage shed at the Cabin. Why are they perfect?

1.) One size fits all! Kids to Adults!
    2.) Fat tire in the woods for trails - what could be better.....woods in snow!
    3.) They are cheap enough to be stolen and not really worry about it.
    4.) They have cheap enough components, that they will work for a period of time - and you can repair them with simple tools.
    5.) When you can buy 2 for the price of 1 cheap Trek Mountain bike and have the ability to run out with friends in the cold - it really does work!

Front brake started dragging. It was a quick adjustment to the caliper.
    Front & rear discs are labeled 160 mm.

Attachment 876131

(orange cast is reflection from my coat)
    Attachment 876132

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

For $150(tires and tubes) you shave 9lbs off the stock weight of the bike. Another 1-1.5 pounds if you drill both wheels depending on the size of the hole you use. After some brakes and a smaller gear up front I'm $200 into the bike at about 40lbs. I think its going to cost a good amount more to get that next 5 or so pounds off and thats kinda the tipping point with this bike, how much is it worth to get it to "normal fat weight".

Either way, with a 22-24t cog up front this thing moves well in the snow, and new tires make a whole world of difference. Most any fatbike is not going to come with great snow tires to start out with so I dont even really consider the tire price an "upgrade" to get the Dolo on par with the BD bikes seeing as the all come with 3''72TPI tires stock.

If anyone has any eureka moment that leads to shaving off any additional weight I'm up for hearing it!
    Very helpful thanks!

Do you have a link or place where I can purchase tubes/tires that shave off that much weight as well as perform better in snow? Also a link or place to get the 22-24t cog would be helpful.

I've never worked on a bike but I'm pretty good with tools and cars, so I'm gonna use this as a project. But definitely just the basics first to get out and enjoy the snow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Your most likely need to read through this blog..lots of great info..I have been reading it for several days...I have since purchased 3 items...will need to get several special tools also...good luck..&lt;script type="***************" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/ff44e6cc/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"&gt;&lt;/script&gt;
    What did you purchase?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    [QUOTE=lethalsvt;11618381]Very helpful thanks!

Do you have a link or place where I can purchase tubes/tires that shave off that much weight as well as perform better in snow? Also a link or place to get the 22-24t cog would be helpful.

Yea dude before I ordered this bike I spent about 3 evenings reading through this thread. You will find the most helpful info in these 40 or so pages, there is also a facebook group, really helpful info on there too. I think even a couple pages ago I posted a link to a 22/32/42 front sprocket on amazon thats $25 and square tappered.

You will learn a lot from all the stuff canoe posted in here, I used on-one floaters and qtubes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Bikes direct bikes don't all come with 3" tires. I think only 2 do, and they aren't really fat bikes. The lurch and Boris and gravity monster and all the rest come with at least 4" tires. And actually, some of them come with the vee snow tires stock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by lethalsvt View Post
    What did you purchase?

Wellga red platform pedals, a set of YST Sealed BSA Cupset w/Bearings English Threads
    by YST and a Shimano MF-T231 14-34 MEGA Tourney freewheel....I am wondering would the MF-T23 14-34 Megarange fit???? ..found one listed..

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Bikes direct bikes don't all come with 3" tires. I think only 2 do, and they aren't really fat bikes. The lurch and Boris and gravity monster and all the rest come with at least 4" tires. And actually, some of them come with the vee snow tires stock.

My bad I thought they said 3.8 was the max tire size, maybe it was the stock tire size on the 50mm wheels

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Maybe on one bike, thats more of a mid fat bike, but they are fat bikes with 4+ inch tires, other than the one that you looked at.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Ok 199 I'm in, worst case my son has another bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Most 4 inch tires are actually 3.8.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by RYNOFREERIDE View Post
    Most 4 inch tires are actually 3.8.

Maybe on a 80mm rim but 4" on a 100mm

sent from my back yard

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    No they aren't. I've seen the charts, width depends on rim width and tire model.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Agreed, it is about rim size and tire, I'm just talking about how they are labeled on the tire. My Nates are labeled as 3.8, but I know they vary depending on rim size. The original person questioning it was wondering why many BD bike tires said 3.8 when they are considered 4 inch tires. I gave him the simple answer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Have you seen the site? They aren't labeled as 3.8

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The gravity bullseye non monster, 29+, arent 4 inches but the dozen or so models that are fat bikes are labeled as having 4 to 4.8" tires of all different rim widths are tire models from dirt to snow specific treads.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've been on the site, but haven't looked that closely. I'll rephrase more precisely what I know. My Surly Nates say 3.8 as the size. This may vary depending on which rim you mount then on. I know nothing about the BD line of bikes. I don't know why the previous poster said all BD sells are 3 inch tires. Sorry I confused everyone.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm just trying to clarify because what was said was blatantly untrue.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ... 1-1.5 pounds if you drill both wheels depending on the size of the hole you use. ...
    1.5" holes between spokes, with the two each side of the value at 1", and you'll save ~410g, or 0.9 lbs.. I like 1.5" holes as it leaves a good run of metal between the spoke holes on opposing sides.

I question if this is worth it. Doing this mod is an indulgence, not a necessity. So if you don't feel comfortable of your skills, or of the value of the result, don't bother with this. I feel that it's only meaningful value is how cool a coloured or retro-reflective tape showing through the holes will be, with a possible night visibility/visual-signature benefit if you use the retro-reflective.

Note that the holes for the nipples are not necessarily drilled true: the ring of holes on the left side of the rim are often offset slightly from the ring of holes on the right side. (Assuming that yours are not so offset as to weaken the rim if you drill at 1.5") on my Dolo and Beast rims, the place to drill is directly between and inline of two nipple holes. A template that rests against the nipple on either side of where you'll drill makes for quick and reliable marking of this. I printed mine out on card stock.

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-1.5-inch-hole-template-beast-stock-100mm-rims.jpg
    (You can see the offset with the center of the hole to be drilled not lining up with the center of the other side's nipple/spoke. If drilled lined up with the opposite side spoke, the drilled hole would look "off" relative to the two spokes it is between.)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    When ordering crank-arms, make sure they curve out enough that they'll clear the chain stays..., or you'll end up

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    In this link: imgur: the simple image sharer
    I have more photos of the Dolomite with the 450mm seatpost.

I am 190cm tall (6.1 feet I think so) and with this seatpost my ride position is way better.

--

About the stock tires and stock crankset, they are fine for packed snow, but for soft deep snow, no way to ride. I believe and guess that a crankset between 24t to 32t will be ideal for that bike.

I am just saving some money to buy the Vuleta model, remove the biggest chainring, and ride with 32t or 22t to check which one wiill be the best one for my necessities.

--

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ... About the stock tires and stock crankset, they are fine for packed snow,...
    Not for my legs.
    I guess with the extra height comes extra long legs for more power.

mtbr member
    Not for my legs.
    I guess with the extra height comes extra long legs for more power.
    Yes, yes it does. I'm 6'4" and I am POWER.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    [QUOTE=watts888;11612659]for some good $35 fat bike tires (not so good in the snow or mud, but good reviews on dry stuff) vee tire co has the vee mission and V8 120tpi tires on sale for $35 each. not real aggressive tread, but a heck of a lot lighter than stock tires. I rode a specialized fatboy with their 4.7" ground control tires, and I was amazed by how much better the lighter tire steered. Bought a mission yesterday, they shipped today. I think theyre getting rid of old stock because people aren't buying them at retail price. For $35, at least get one for up front to help with steering.
    Mission[/QUOTE

Great deal..most likey not the best tire around..as I have read...but it's got to be a better tire then the stock ones on the Dolomite...I know they look a lot better then the stock rubber..also bought some Vee tubes...I will check the weight savings later..<script type="***************" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/ff44e6cc/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I am looking for an adjustable handlebar stem....I am not sure what I'm looking for related to the sizes or diameters of the stem...I will most likely go with a different handle set also later...I need the bars up more and closer to me. What is the diameter of the stock stem..and diameter of the bars????

looking at this one...will it fit???

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/ritchey-adjustable-angle-road-stem<script type="***************" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/ff44e6cc/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="***************" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/ff44e6cc/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 06bigruckus; 12-07-2014 at 06:38 AM. Reason: add photo

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Price back up........

Price is back up to $237.53...still a good deal...cyber week it was $199.00. Rated as a pretty decent bike for the price..I have up graded mine..total $348.00....overll not bad...maybe next year I will upgrade to a better bike...but at this time being new at this kind of bike the price was right for me...sure it is not the best BUT it will get the job done with a little more effort and focus when riding it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hey guys ..... while I was waiting for my Dolomite to arrive ,I was reading this thread page by page . Here is a short list of what I found , upon unpacking the bike :
    1) the headset is dry and needs to be greased
    2) the front hub is TIGHT and needs adjustment
    3) the front brake need alignment (light lube on the mounting washers helps)
    4) lube the chain ,cables and derailier

I greased all bolts while setting up the cockpit , and took my time doing a meticulous build which took just under 4 hours , but the bike works excellent . I know this stuff is a repeat but I hope it can help newer owners. Thanks for reading !!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy11 View Post
    ... Here is a short list of what I found , upon unpacking the bike :...
    Your list is limited, hence possibly misleading if someone only checks what's on your list:
    In short, you need to check everything, lubing and adjusting as necessary. If you don't do this before your very first ride:
    - You could severely reduce the useful life of bearings/hubs, etc..
    - If the brakes are off, you could have an accident.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I am looking for an adjustable handlebar stem....I will most likely go with a different handle set also later...I need the bars up more and closer to me. What is the diameter of the stock stem..and diameter of the bars????
    The Ritchy adjustable stem is supposed to be the one to get: two bolts to clamp the steerer, four bolts to clamp the bar, and the angle adjustment supposedly can't slip.

The link you gave is for a road stem, i.e. for road bars, 26mm or 31.8mm, and says +/- 45 degrees.
    Ritchey Ritchey Adjustable Stem
    says you have a choice of 25.8 or 31.8.
    MTN bars are 25.4mm or oversized at 31.8mm.

You're "not supposed to use a 25.4mm bar in a 26mm clamp", as it may slip. A shim may work, if you're not giving it a lot of force on trails. Others are using the Ritchey on mtn fat bikes without issue. Your call.

My steerer tube is 1 1/8" and the stock bar measures as 25.0mm. Measure yours. Or find out the clamp diameter of a bar you may want to get in case it's the 31.8mm.
    (I'm using a cheap adjustable stem, as I already had it, but don't really trust it...)

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks for info..I will check around to see if I can find one....if you have any that will work with the stem post on the Dolomite...post them..thanks

The Ritchy adjustable stem is supposed to be the one to get: two bolts to clamp the steerer, four bolts to clamp the bar, and the angle adjustment supposedly can't slip.

The link you gave is for a road stem, i.e. for road bars, 26mm or 31.8mm, and says +/- 45 degrees.
    Ritchey Ritchey Adjustable Stem
    says you have a choice of 25.8 or 31.8.
    MTN bars are 25.4mm or oversized at 31.8mm.

You're "not supposed to use a 25.4mm bar in a 26mm clamp", as it may slip. A shim may work, if you're not giving it a lot of force on trails. Others are using the Ritchey on mtn fat bikes without issue. Your call.

My steerer tube is 1 1/8" and the stock bar measures as 25.0mm. Measure yours. Or find out the clamp diameter of a bar you may want to get in case it's the 31.8mm.
    (I'm using a cheap adjustable stem, as I already had it, but don't really trust it...)

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    YES ... Canoe is correct about my list , When I said meticolous build that's what I meant. Check everything as you go and treat it as = you have all of the parts , assemble them carefully and you will a great fat bike .

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for info..I will check around to see if I can find one....if you have any that will work with the stem post on the Dolomite...post them..thanks
    As stated above...

My steerer tube is 1 1/8" and the stock bar measures as 25.0mm. Measure yours....
    I intend to get the Ritchy. Waiting for a sale, as it's not a priority to me.

Brackish

Just built it up, went together in about an hour. Not bad for a big box bike, I repacked the front wheel bearings and adjusted the calipers but otherwise it was better than I expected. The tires came with a more aggressive tread pattern than the cruiser tires pictured on the Wal-Mart site (the Beast tires). Looking forward to a test ride this weekend!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

New BB bearings came..

Ordered these on

Amazon.com : YST Sealed BSA Cupset w/Bearings English Threads : Bottom Bike Brackets And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

hopefully will add some strength to the crank unit...I weigh in at 230 lbs...more parts are coming for the upgrades...total parts around $180.00...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-1.jpg  

Brackish

10 bucks, not bad! I will definitely need a seat but since I will buy a WTB that I can use later, on other bikes, I don't think I'll count that against the $36 I have remaining in my upgrade budget. May do this bb and a set of cheap normal cranks, as the crank unit literally makes me chuckle when I look at it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Now waiting for the new handlebar... please arrive soon.

Brackish

What tire pressures are you guys running with the Dolo?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    What tire pressures are you guys running with the Dolo?
    3 to 15 PSI, usually 8 to 12, lower in winter
    15 on a smooth bike path
    3 on soft snow
    scale it in between to suit the terrain for float or grip, adjust for your weight

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    10 in the back and 8 in the front for trails that are hard... Less when it gets soft.

Brackish

Cool, thanks! Gives me something to start with.

mtbr member
    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-boty.jpg

Finally someone noticed!

mtbr member
    MAN! That would be KOOOOOL if it were true. I tried to google that magazine and could not find it. Could you send a link to it please?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Here is a Link about Walmart Bikes that will make you smile!

Fat Bike Slays Sea Otter Classic

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast