mtbr member

Does Stan's work with tubes?

I may be spending 2 weeks in the Mexican desert pretty soon and I need to sort out the tires. I will mostly be in a sandy wash but I may encounter some cactus spines. I have no experience with tubeless, coming from the PNW where there's no thorns. I do not want to learn it in 2 weeks, and I wouldn't trust it in the middle of nowhere. I do not care about the weight of tubes, so does Stan's work if I inject it into the tubes? I am concerned that going tubeless with the low pressure Ill be running in the BFL and Endomorph may cause problems.
    All I am saying is give pizza chants

Thingamejigger
    Yes, I put 2.5 cupfuls in each tube. Not had a puncture since.....

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks. This is going to be one sweet trip. I'm a little intimidated by it. I'll be about 20 days in the desert all by myself, riding 50 km down a deserted palm canyon out to the Sea of Cortez, then I'll packraft down the coast back to town. I have to get a $1000 hand desalinator pump, and I'm turning a stainless cooking pot into a campfire seawater desalinator. Also pulling an Extrawheel with 10 days of water on it. I'll have to drop water as I go in case I have to backtrack out.

I also need to confirm that Spot will, in fact, come in and rescue me from Mexico if I hit the help button. My friend form California may come too, otherwise I'm non my own. Not sure how I'm going to get down there from LA though if my friend doesn't come.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post
    Yes, I put 2.5 cupfuls in each tube. Not had a puncture since.....
    Prior to going tubeless, I ran 1.5 scoops of Stan's inside the Qtubes mounted on each of my 4" tires.
    The tubes are initially an air-tight environment, unlike a tire, where sealant acts to close voids in the tire, bead, & rim, and eventually dries up. My experience has been that Stan's stays liquid next to forever in tube.
    Also, Stan's in a tube is most effective for closing small punctures. Larger punctures which close in a tire may not seal in a tube, regardless of how much Stan's is present.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Mark_BC, don't muck about with a little hand desal unit, they take forever to produce water. Absolute emergency water only. If you're going to be on the sea for any length of time and you want to produce usable amounts of water for the day and in camp, buy one of these, make sure your sea water is free of oil etc, I own 2 and have never regretted carrying the weight. I only carry one at a time.....

Katadyn PUR Watermaker Survivor 35 Desalinator | eBay

If you're drinking a lot of water during the day, pay very close attention to the colour of your urine, trawl the net for colour versus dehydration state. Don't stress if you are getting dehydrated towards the end of the day, just ensure you drink about 2L (more if required) over the course of the night, check the colour of your urine in the morning to ensure you've consumed enough water through the night, you should have very near clear urine. Starting out properly hydrated will make a huge difference to your decision making, concentration, performance and general enjoyment. If you're able to, get some electrolyte replacement, make sure it's HYPOTONIC not Isotonic or Hypertonic, this is important! Drink it at night. Try not to consume foods that reqire a lot of water to digest.
    Use your trailer to carry the light stuff, carry your water on your bike. You'll be surprised at the energy saving in doing so.
    Take along a bit of Magnesium to counter cramping, I use Ultra Muscleze. You only need to take it if you feel you're cramping up, half a teaspoon is sufficient for me I find.

BTW, I use Slime in my tubed tyres and it works a charm. However, if I get a punture at low PSI, I find it more effective to pump my tyre up to 20 psi and spin it a few times, then let it back down and carry on. I carry a light, full sized floor pump as most other pumps take forever, therefore costing me huge energy and water consumption. Carrying it costs very little in comparision.

Try hard not to walk, pushing the bike, particularly in sand, it costs you big effort as opposed to riding.

If water is available but mostly of questionable or putrid quality, seriously consider buying a LifeSaver water bottle, this will mean you can carry less water and drink from ANY putrid freshwater you come across. I've used this bottle to drink from water putrified by cow manure with absolutly no ill effects. It wont desal water though.

Lifesaver Bottle - Portable Water Filter Bottle

If this is your first big dessert trip, stay relaxed, enjoy the scenery, DON"T push yourself, rest and rehydrate every night, always consider risk versus survival and you'll have a great time!

Just my o.2c worth.

It would be great to hear a trip report.

Good luck and enjoy.

Al
    It seemed like a good idea!...... at the time......

banned
    Sep 2008
    been running stans sealant in tubes for a decade. better than slime as it isn't as thick and find/plugs the hole quicker. tubes with stans is much easier/less messy than tubeless with sealant.

rog

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone.

I looked at the Survivor 35 but it's huge and costs $3000. I don't know how ebay can sell them for $335, anyone know if this is legit?

I was thinking of budgeting 2 liters of water per day including for cooking. This isn't much but it won't be hot, maybe 20-25 C, and I won't be pushing myself with huge distances, plus I don't sweat much. Also, when I reach the ocean I was planning to use my campfire seawater distiller pot that I'm building right now. I'll test it out to see how fast it can produce water, but the benefit is I can do other things while it's boiling away. And I don't mind spending an hour or two a day pumping with the Katadyn 06 model if it's less frequent, plus I can save lots of weight over the 35.

I used Nuun tablets before, and they seem to be very good at keeping the cramps away, but again I don't think I'll be pushing myself too hard. It's only 60 km of sand riding (with about 5-10 km of pushing in there), then 60 km of packrafting, and I'll have 2 weeks.

I can see on Google Earth a pool in the canyon, and they are generally very good water quality. That is 25 km into the trip, on day 2, so when I get there I can re-assess my water use for the next 5 days down to the ocean depending on if it's dry or not. I can't count on finding water there but if I do it will give me some more breathing room.

I'll bring my Spot GPS, and I need to confirm that they'll pluck me out in Mexico if needed.

I've spent lots of time in the Baja desert, 4X4ing into remote places. And lots of time on my own on wilderness trips, but not in deserts. So it's time to combine the two! This is going to be a great trip, only 3 parties I know of have gone down this canyon. One back mid last century, and they had a whole crew with mules and those hard-wheeled motorbikes. A few years ago an American and a Mexican hiked down it looking for gold seams and when they got to the ocean it was windy for 4 days so they couldn't get picked up and they almost died of thirst (I would be combing the beach for materials to make a distiller with -- plus you can actually survive drinking seawater if you aren't sweating too much and you are very careful not to drink too much -- no more than 32 oz a day). And then in 2008 I believe, some guys took a boat up the coast with quads and went up the canyon from the beach, then back down.

Now we have the benefit of Google Earth, which reveals a dirt road leading right up to the headwaters of the wash and allows for detailed route planning, plus we now have fatbikes and packrafts, and portable dealinators, and Spot GPS's. But you always have to be prepared, because gear can break, leaving you stranded.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Mark,

The Ebay desal units are legit, I bought mine off ebay, that's why I bought two. Some times they require a new membrane at a cost of ~300$ but mine didn't.

I recon you're light on with your water, I think 4L/day min is the cut off point even at 20 / 25C.

What is the combined weight of your 06 desal and your home made desal? If it's around 4Lbs seriously consider an ebay unit.

I may be wrong and I'm basing this on my sea kayaking experience, but I think 60k's in a packraft is going to make you work, not immpossable by any means, but with a bit of a head wind and a swell you'll know you're on the sea in a packraft!

Gotta say, all in all, sounds like a great trip. Enjoy.

Al
    It seemed like a good idea!...... at the time......

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    What is this thread about again???

Oh yeah, Stan's in tubes.

mtbr member
    You got yours from the same ebay vendor? How do they offer them so cheap? I presume they're used. If it needs a new membrane, keep in mind I'm leaving in a few weeks.

My home made distiller will also double as a cooking pot. I'll have to see how fast it can distill.

I'll also test out how much water I can get by on next weekend when I go to my mom's house and do yard work all day.

There is also lots of beach along that route which I can ride, plus if it gets too windy there are some other washes I can ride up and head back to town that way.

This is coming up too fast, but I can hang out in LA as long as I need to get my stuff sorted out. I want to make a movie, bringing lots of Gopro's etc.

OK, here it is:

BajaNomad Forums - "Peace, Love & Fish Tacos"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Mark, Good luck with the trip. This is cool thread, especially due to the drift off topic. Way better than arguing about a couple of mm of tire width!
    Latitude 61