Do warranties usually cover botched factory installs?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Upset Do warranties usually cover botched factory installs?

Long story short, I found out today that my SE [email protected] had a botched factory non-drive side BB cup install (either massively over-torqued, cross-threaded, or both). The cup is trashed, and the frame threads are damaged as well but possibly salvagable. Drive side is fine. Does the warranty usually cover this, of mfg/workmanship defects only? Contacted SE and the seller, waiting to hear back.

Do warranties usually cover botched factory installs?-bbdriveside.jpgDo warranties usually cover botched factory installs?-bbfull.jpgDo warranties usually cover botched factory installs?-bbnondriveside.jpgDo warranties usually cover botched factory installs?-bbshell.jpg

Elitest thrill junkie
    They should, but in practice they usually don't own up to stuff like that.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Raise hell, till they cover it. You should get a new frame.

Formerly of Kent
    "...And the seller..."

Does this mean you aren't the original owner?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    "...And the seller..."

Does this mean you aren't the original owner?

Are we counting dealers, and retailers as first owners now?

It's clearly been done buy some kind of powered tool, stripping 3/4 of that thread by hand sure seems like a lot of effort vs a regular BB install.

mtbr member
    I wondered the same thing. I've seen people (not to accusatory to the OP at all, just relating experiences) just grab a larger impact to remove something stubborn. I wonder if this was over tightened the wrong way in an attempt to remove it. I have an IR impact gun in the garage that will snap off lug nuts by over tightening them.

For 99% of the mechanic work I do I prefer using hand tools only since you can feel what going on.

Best of luck to the OP on this. That can be salvaged but it'll never be as good as original.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Bought it from an online dealer (Nashbar). I noticed when I first unpacked it that there were tool gouges and material displacement in the grooves of the cup, but didn't think much of it. Just thought the assembler was sloppy with the tool. As soon as I got the cup loosened (it was massively tight) I still had to use the tool the entire time I backed it out because the threads are so buggered. The threads in the frame are the only reason it came out at all, the cup is completely wasted as you can see.

We'll see if SE steps up on this one (or Nashbar if they do that kind of thing). If not, SE can smooch my arse from here on out.

mtbr member
    That should definitely be covered, interested to hear how it goes with both of them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaff View Post
    I wondered the same thing. I've seen people (not to accusatory to the OP at all, just relating experiences) just grab a larger impact to remove something stubborn. I wonder if this was over tightened the wrong way in an attempt to remove it. I have an IR impact gun in the garage that will snap off lug nuts by over tightening them.

For 99% of the mechanic work I do I prefer using hand tools only since you can feel what going on.

Best of luck to the OP on this. That can be salvaged but it'll never be as good as original.
    I too have a a chest full of impact tools in my garage - and not a single one has ever touched any of my bikes. Hand tools only and I always use a torque wrench. Been wrenching and assembling bikes for 20+ years in addition to cars, Jeeps, etc. I'm very anal retentive to the point of driving those around me crazy.

I don't know why anyone would try to remove that cup at any point before I did. I think the dude on the assembly line just had his impact rotating backwards (which I still don't think would have caused this) or it began cross threading and he just went for it anyway since he had the horsepower in hand. This will be a good test of SE's ownership of the process though. Figures I had to get the ONE bike....

mtbr member
    This is a brand new bike? I would like to think any manufacturer worth its salt would cover this. If not send it to the mountain bike magazines and see if they will publish some bad press about the company. Sorry for the problems and good luck getting it repaired...

Also, if they give you a problem check with your credit card company if they can help with either getting retailer to fix it or with warranty that may be offered by the cc company.

aka bOb
    Funny I was in my lbs the other day and one of the employees there just purchased what looks to be the same bike (black SE). Well anyhoo I watched him take out the bb and it did the same thing. They got it sorted out with a new cup and chased the threads with a proper tap.

Edit, his didn't look quit as bad.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    is there a dent on the bottom of the bottom bracket?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    No dent on the bottom bracket. There are no signs of damage or rough handling on the bike anywhere, only the tool marks on the BB cup. Sounds like I wasn't the only lucky one...our bikes were probably assembled by the same FNG on the line. These frames are the same as the Fuji Wendigo, probably assembled on the same line as well.

Formerly of Kent
    Damn. Hopefully their warranty and CS work out for you, man.

The way you worded it originally, I thought the "seller" was an individual that owned the bike before you. But, as you are the first owner, you should get taken care of, and quickly. The former situation would be a bit more difficult than the latter, but that's irrelevant now.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Someone's gotta be a real idiot to force a BB cup cross-threaded. At some point you'll have to notice that it's too stiff to turn.

I hope you can get this sorted out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Well crickets from SE (no surprise there) but Nashbar is stepping up in a big way. Gave me a choice of a replacement bike or repair attempt. Looked over the BB threads in the frame one more time, shook my head and said 'replacement'. We're just working out the logistics now, as I threw away the box it came in. They even offered to send an empty box with a return label.

No hesitation, questioning, or objections. Good on Nashbar.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Great to hear!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Glad to hear about Nashbar, I was thinking to myself they would come through for you. I had a rear hub completely fail on me after about 6 months(2,000) of use on their steel CX bike I use as my daily commuter. They emailed me a return label to send back the rim+hub. Few days later they sent me a brand new replacement wheel, even had a new tire on it. No questions asked and easy to deal with. Great CS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Replacement arrived and does not have the same issue - all looks good. Old one boxed and ready to return. Big kudos to Nashbar on this one. This thing is still the best deal in fat bikes I've ever seen.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KantoBoy View Post
    Someone's gotta be a real idiot to force a BB cup cross-threaded. At some point you'll have to notice that it's too stiff to turn.
    I fixed a neighbours bike a few years ago. It was a Marin that he'd bought from one of the biggest bike shops in Edinburgh and some muppet in the shop had screwed the pedals on the wrong way. Easy mistake, if you've never put pedals on a bike, but still surprised he had actually managed to get them on. All threads were destroyed.

Cool that you got it sorted easily. It doesn't matter how well designed the bikes are they're still put together by children in China. It's good that you caught this.