Do any of these China fatbike frames have internal cable/brake hose routing?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Do any of these China fatbike frames have internal cable/brake hose routing?

Looking for one of these frames from a reputable builder that has internal routing for the rear derailleur cable and at least the rear brake hose.

Internal fork routing for the front fork would be an awesome bonus but not necessary.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

mtbr member
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

bigger than you.
    If only there was a thread with this sort of information!

since 4/10/2009
    why on God's green earth do you WANT internal routing?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    why on God's green earth do you WANT internal routing?
    I would pose the same in reverse to you. It's what I prefer. The evolution of the clean bike rigging. That's a feature I look for in all new bikes.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The BD bikes have internal derailer routing. Not for brakes though. I'm not sure what internal fork routing is. Sounds really neat though

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TomFL View Post
    I would pose the same in reverse to you. It's what I prefer. The evolution of the clean bike rigging. That's a feature I look for in all new bikes.
    You don't do your own maintenance, do you?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Hydraulic brake hose could be tricky to snake through internally (depending on frame), since it isn't real flexible (also have to bleed if swapping), which might be why some don't do the brake hose. That said, I don't mind the internal routing of the steel, and I do maintain my bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You don't do your own maintenance, do you?
    Harold, please.. let's stay on track. I haven't bought a complete/built bike in 15 years. Frames only and I build from there. Why would I be looking at frames if I didn't know how to build or service them?

My garage is a bike shop, complete with Park 2-headed shop stands and redundant sets of darned near every tool Park makes, one set for home/shop use and the other set sans the frame/press tools in a killer CLC backpack travel tool bag along with another duffel full of spare parts from drivetrain to seats to wheels. Oh and a folding park repair stand that goes with me as well.

Is there anything else you want to know about me, my cycling travel itinerary, my garage bike shop or my dog or should we just stay on topic with the bike frames?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dayooper View Post
    Hydraulic brake hose could be tricky to snake through internally (depending on frame), since it isn't real flexible (also have to bleed if swapping), which might be why some don't do the brake hose. That said, I don't mind the internal routing of the steel, and I do maintain my bikes.
    To clarify some of the above so we don't mislead people with misinformation...

First, internal hydraulic line routing is simple. EZPZ. Provided the frame is designed for it obviously.

Second, you DO NOT have to bleed the brakes after if you are using Shimano and possibly other brands/models. Admittedly, I have one bike with Magura disks on it and I did have to bleed that brake after routing it internally. A simple, 15 minute task.

For reference, I have 2 bikes that have internal hydraulic lines... Very clean rigging, no rub on exterior of frame, no hose clamps to chafe/hit your legs. Huge upgrade IMHO.

Additionally, I just finished a build on an Intense Hard Eddie (pics in the Intense forum) and although I am thrilled with the bike I was disappointed it did not have internal routing for the rear brake. I thought that was pretty standard stuff these days.

The ONLY bike I've ever had difficulty running a shift cable internally is a Cervelo S5 with the aero handlebar. That is a b*tch. Obviously Di2 or E-tap would be a great investment on bikes like this.

For those not in the know, Park Tool makes a handy internal cable routing kit that is a handy to have item.

So.... back on topic.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    That's good info. I've had a helluva time fishing some mech cables through frames supposedly designed for it, where you've gotta bend it plus other tricks (vacuum cleaner and thread were needed). So I could see some frames being tricky with a hydro cable not having the flexibility (granted, it would be a terrible design for a frame)...was more of a warning for someone inexperienced; didn't know your level.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dayooper View Post
    That's good info. I've had a helluva time fishing some mech cables through frames supposedly designed for it, where you've gotta bend it plus other tricks (vacuum cleaner and thread were needed). So I could see some frames being tricky with a hydro cable not having the flexibility (granted, it would be a terrible design for a frame)...was more of a warning for someone inexperienced; didn't know your level.
    Agreed, your vacuum trick and cotton ball is an awesome solver too if one doesn't have the park setup.

since 4/10/2009
    Touched a nerve, did I?

I have no patience for fiddly crap, and internal routing is too fiddly for me. True, internal routing is better for mtb's than exposed, interrupted cables for keeping stuff clean, but I value simple full length housing, external routing far more.

I'm not the only one, either. And that's the simple reason why at least for mtb's, internal routing is NOT "the standard".

I'm less picky for road bikes, but I still prefer pretty much anything other than internal routing to cut down on fiddlyness.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Touched a nerve, did I?

I still prefer pretty much anything other than internal routing to cut down on fiddlyness.
    Not really. But the thread is about me asking about a frame with specifics of what I'm looking for.

Not what you prefer.

That's where we got off track.

The answer would have been revealed if you look in any of the china fatty threads. The answer is yes. I believe all of them. The SN01 I ordered through ICAN did and all the others and many many pictures in those threads shows that
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    The answer would have been revealed if you look in any of the china fatty threads. The answer is yes. I believe all of them. The SN01 I ordered through ICAN did and all the others and many many pictures in those threads shows that
    Thanks. The reason I asked is I have 2 buddies with these frames - from 2 different sources - and one of them does not have internal routing and he was surprised when it showed up like that.

So maybe it's something I need to triple confirm before ordering.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015

Elitest thrill junkie
    My LaMere is internal routing. It's decent for the derailleur and not too difficult to install a new cable, but the rear brake is a PITA. You could theoretically install a new brake on a bike with EXTERNAL routing and cut the line down and reinstall everything without bleeding, but that's mainly a pipe-dream with an internal routing bike. I had the shop do it the first time and they said it was a PITA. I did it this last time with an XTR and it was a PITA. I did take a wire, epoxy, and connected both the old and new lines, let it set overnight, and yanked it all through the frame, because I didn't want to deal with trying to poke and catch the line with a noose. Some internal setups are better, but not likely on these chinese bikes. For the brake it's not worth it IMO.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have a Yampa. Cut the barb off, slid the hose through, put on another barb, and hooked up the brake. I expected to have to bleed the brake but it works fine as is. Some days you just get lucky.
    Latitude 61

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    I have a Yampa. Cut the barb off, slid the hose through, put on another barb, and hooked up the brake. I expected to have to bleed the brake but it works fine as is. Some days you just get lucky.
    Same here. There's a good YouTube video out there on how to install XT brakes without bleeding. Running 1x10 so the internal routing for the front derailleur worked perfectly for the dropper post too. It is super clean and I like it.

I'm pretty sure the Borealis frames are Chinese so we're actually on topic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Glad to see 2 posters who know what they're doing! Youtube can be a great resource for this type of stuff.