mtbr member
    Apr 2012

DIY Heated Glove Liners

For anyone else with perpetually cold hands and an inclination to tinker here is a tutorial I put together for making heated glove liners.
    https://www.instructables.com/id/Heated-Glove-Liners/

The problem with many heated gloves is that the heat on the back of the hand, and often not on the fingers at all. And when you grab you handlebars you squeeze the air out of your glove's insulation. So having something that applies heat directly to the palm side of the fingers is very helpful for me since I have raynauds and my fingers have a propensity to go white and numb.

DIY Heated Glove Liners-gloves.jpg

Elitest thrill junkie
    Well thatís nice, Iím hoping more for heated grips in the future,but boot chem heaters work pretty well. Will be interested to see how these work and for how long.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

All fat, all the time.
    Pretty cool idea!

EAT MORE GRIME
    pogies man

these will fit road bike or mtb

https://www.amazon.com/Airhead-SLHM-.../dp/B0022ZJJSK

these work
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Nice job! I love Instructables!

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    pogies man

these will fit road bike or mtb

https://www.amazon.com/Airhead-SLHM-.../dp/B0022ZJJSK

these work
    Pogies definitely work.
    I use moose mitts, and ride with summer gloves all winter.

Edit, thanks for the additional info, I'm not familiar with that.
    Last edited by Shark; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:24 AM.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Pogies definitely work.
    I use moose mitts, and ride with summer gloves all winter.
    They work, but sometimes people fail to understand how the body shuts off blood flow with raynauds. My palms can be overheating and sweating and my body won't send any blood to my ice cold fingers, no matter how much insulation is used. I've learned to overcome it for the most part, but it is really hard to bring those body parts back when they get too cold and the normal stuff that works for everyone else doesn't with this.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    They work, but sometimes people fail to understand how the body shuts off blood flow with raynauds. My palms can be overheating and sweating and my body won't send any blood to my ice cold fingers, no matter how much insulation is used. I've learned to overcome it for the most part, but it is really hard to bring those body parts back when they get too cold and the normal stuff that works for everyone else doesn't with this.
    My raynauds is somewhat unpredictable. I can often go for a ride without any problem, but when my fingers or toes go numb I need active heat to kick start circulation again.

I find my feet are worse than my hands and I end up needing to turn on my boot heaters about an hour into a ride when its below freezing. My current toe heaters are great (much much better than my old Hotronic ones). They are actually heated socks but work better if you remove the heat pads from pockets in the socks, throw the socks away and attach the pads to the front of your insoles. But they aren't available now since there were some design problems with the battery pack last year and the redesign hasn't come out yet. They are like the heated glove liners but since there is no need to do a huge loop around all fingers they use 2 heating loops instead of 3. Half the heating material from that missing 3rd loop is added to each of the other loops making them get to about 60C instead of 40C, but drawing the same current as the gloves. I'm planning to make an instructable for those as well, but need to get some thermal switches first.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Well thatís nice, Iím hoping more for heated grips in the future,but boot chem heaters work pretty well. Will be interested to see how these work and for how long.
    Have you looked into heated grips used on ATVs? Heat Demon has been around for a bit using, what I think is an ODI (style) lock-on grip that runs off of 12VDC. You would only need to connect it to a 12V source. Of course that 12V source could ultimately be a bit on the heavy side.

EDIT: Looking into this further, I didn't realize there is already a MTB/Fat heated grip being marketed, AíME MTB Heated 1.3 Tri Grips, which has been around for a bit now. A bit on the pricy side.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Before I saw the carbon rope I was worried. Reading through the instructions it seems more feasible. Due you feel the rope when you grip the bars? Maybe move the rope to the sides of the digits as a happy medium between palm and back of hand. Wonder how it would work to make boot heaters....

EAT MORE GRIME
    the instructables say use silicon to glue it down...I'd sew those lines on. far more appropriate and flexible to sew that stuff down...just takes finesse
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerpss View Post
    Before I saw the carbon rope I was worried. Reading through the instructions it seems more feasible. Due you feel the rope when you grip the bars? Maybe move the rope to the sides of the digits as a happy medium between palm and back of hand. Wonder how it would work to make boot heaters....
    You can feel it a bit but it is more the silicone than the rope itself since the rope is quite thin. Its kind of like wearing a pair of poly stretch gloves that comes with silicone grippers pre-attached. Wearing them inside another glove you less likely to feel it much since it would sink into the other glove's insulation.

Today I thought of a technique for making a boot heater insert that requires no gluing or silicone. I need to go buy some material to try it out today. The plan is to get some flexible cold laminating film typically used to waterproof maps and sandwich loops heating material between 2 layers of it.

the instructables say use silicon to glue it down...I'd sew those lines on. far more appropriate and flexible to sew that stuff down...just takes finesse
    The carbon material is very fine and prone to fraying and snagging which was why I went with silicone encapsulation. Another glove I have that uses the same material sandwiches the heating loop between a fine non-woven fabric, then sews that behind a second layer of fabric on the back of the hand which results in a glove with 1 layer of fabric on the palm and 4 on the back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Has anyone ever done heated grips? DIY?

What about the usb rechargeable heaters?
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...eusable+heater

mtbr member
    Skinz burner heated hand grips for bikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    After prototype #5 I think I've got the materials and techniques down for making toe warmers for boots. #4 was pretty close but I didn't leave enough room between the insole outline and the heat shrink tubing, don't need to be standing on that stuff all day.

DIY Heated Glove Liners-heatpad.jpg

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by gecho View Post
    After prototype #5 I think I've got the materials and techniques down for making toe warmers for boots. #4 was pretty close but I didn't leave enough room between the insole outline and the heat shrink tubing, don't need to be standing on that stuff all day.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	heatpad.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	137.0 KB 
ID:	1227489
    have you tried to put that in the top of the toebox not under the toes ??? heat can warm the blood in the foot faster where the skin is thinner (top) vs (under) toe pads which is very thick and the vessels are deeper. I find heatpacks very effective on top, vs under where it's more annoying than providing warmth IMHO

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    have you tried to put that in the top of the toebox not under the toes ??? heat can warm the blood in the foot faster where the skin is thinner (top) vs (under) toe pads which is very thick and the vessels are deeper. I find heatpacks very effective on top, vs under where it's more annoying than providing warmth IMHO
    It could be worth a try. But last winter I found that the carbon material works best when in direct contact. It doesn't seem to radiate across a gap very well. That's why I made my gloves with the heating on the inside. The gloves I used last year with the heat on the back of the hand were much less effective when I closed my hands slightly pulling away from the heat loops.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Instructable for the insole heating pads is finished.
    https://www.instructables.com/id/Ins...-Heating-Pads/

DIY Heated Glove Liners-heat-pad.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    After finishing the foot warmers I decided to find a way to improve the glove build since the multiple gluing steps weren't ideal.

Version 2 uses double sided fabric tape and sandwiches everything inside the glove under a few pieces of polyester / spandex fabric. Much easier and faster to construct. Also have option of putting heat on front or back, thumb has heat on both sides. Now I'm all out of heating rope and spare glove liners.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Hea...-Liners-Ver-2/

DIY Heated Glove Liners-vers2glove.jpg