Disappointed with my Moonlanders performance- Mtbr.com
    I'm sticky
    Aug 2004

Disappointed with my Moonlanders performance

Yes Moonlanders, not Moonlander's. I bought three of them.

I bought one to ride on water because I read somewhere that they float. The ride quality was great, but the geometry of this thing is NOT suited to staying upright in the water. The Big Fat Larry tires don't have nearly enough tread to get traction in the water. What the heck? I think I'll spend some more money and buy 2 Nates. That should solve everything. On top of that, the tires didn't provide enough flotation for me to stay on top of the water. What the heck! I thought these things were all about flotation!!! Seriously, I shouldn't have believed all the hype and marketing around these things.

I bought the second one because I want to ride over the tops of mountains. I went for a ride today in 6 feet of fresh, fluffy snow and couldn't get anywhere! Total fail.

I bought the third one because I wanted to ride to the moon. Epic fail.

What good is a ride anywhere bike if I can't ride anywhere????

I'm worried I just wasted $7000 on a gimmick.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It's not only the Moonlander. It's the Pugs too. Better believe it.

I bought mine because I thought I could skydive with it and bounce all the way back into the plane ....

What a rip off....

mtbr member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by pcrap View Post
    Yes Moonlanders, not Moonlander's. I bought three of them.

I bought one to ride on water because I read somewhere that they float. The ride quality was great, but the geometry of this thing is NOT suited to staying upright in the water. The Big Fat Larry tires don't have nearly enough tread to get traction in the water. What the heck? I think I'll spend some more money and buy 2 Nates. That should solve everything. On top of that, the tires didn't provide enough flotation for me to stay on top of the water. What the heck! I thought these things were all about flotation!!! Seriously, I shouldn't have believed all the hype and marketing around these things.

I bought the second one because I want to ride over the tops of mountains. I went for a ride today in 6 feet of fresh, fluffy snow and couldn't get anywhere! Total fail.

I bought the third one because I wanted to ride to the moon. Epic fail.

What good is a ride anywhere bike if I can't ride anywhere????

I'm worried I just wasted $7000 on a gimmick.
    I was just thinking about starting a thread like this earlier today after I get my Moonlander.(someday)
    You beat me to it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Yeah, I thought my Mukluk was going to keep my feet warm. This whole Fatbike thing is a hoax dreamed up by the bike industry to sell bikes in the off season. We've been duped!

Moon Child
    Jul 2011
    I guess I will keep mine, if I can find it. Its somewhere lost among the other hundreds of bikes in my stable (which I keep in a stable, of course). It was a gift from my current wife, or was it the previous wife (what was her name?).

Should I buy more bikes to add to the stable. Or should I get a bigger stable to put the stable in?

How many more bikes do I have to buy to get your attention? Dont make me start whining again. If I have to slander a bike and the people that build them....... Well, all I can say is that I better be getting more attention.

mtbr member
    Don't feel bad years ago I bought something called a Mountain Bike. Just based on the name alone it should have been capable of riding up and over most mountains - right? Not to mention the big knobby motorcross style tires. Well sad to say it only worked for getting to the mountains and up some of the hiking trails. Once you hit the vertical rock walls and glaciers it was a total fail. Not only was I not able to ride my Mountain Bike up and over any mountains in my area, but carrying the Mountain Bike while climbing one handed up a sheer rock face was much harder than if I had left my Mountain Bike at home and just carried some rope in my backpack. Total fail.

A friend who was into Mountain Biking tried to tell me my Mountain Bike worked fine and he took me riding on some local trails. Thing was even if I gave up my dream of riding over mountains I don't think these things worked even for riding on hiking trails. On the ride with my friend we encountered some mud. You'd think with big knobby tires I'd be able to at least ride up a steep hiking trail. Wrong total fail. My back tire kept spinning and I had to walk the bike up the slope. What's the point of spending $2K on a Mountain Bike when it can't even go up a hiking trail my $25 sneakers can take me up? Even worse on the way back to a car on a muddy downhill corner my front tire slide sideways and I crashed. That just showed me that not only can you not go very many places with these Mountain Bikes - on top of that they are dangerous!

I might have given up on biking entirely luckily I found out about Road Bikes. These are great and can actually be ridden on roads as the name suggests. Makes me glad I gave bikes another shot.

Anyways...I hate to say it, but I could have told you a bike wouldn't take you to the Moon! I mean if a Mountain Bike can't ride over a mountain what chances does a Moon Bike have of getting you to the moon. Really this sort of false advertising should be illegal. It makes me sick!

I recently read about a bike called the Necromancer that was supposed to let you raise an undead riding buddy or two. But, I bet that's a scam as well.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Moon Child
    Jul 2011

Don't ignore me

All fat, all the time.
    I was under the impression that riding a fat bike would get all the popular girls interested in me!

So far just the opposite, I get lots of guys on the trail asking me about my tires.....what????....sheesh!

mtbr member
    You guys are cruel!

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    You guys are getting as bad as the VRC crew....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    You guys are hilarious. Never thought that a kernel of unbiased, objective criticism would get so many panties in a bunch around here. You guys are worse than the catholic church.

By the way, the only way to get the ball rolling in terms of tire development and engineering (still in its infancy for fatbikes) is an honest look at what they can and can't do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    By the way, the only way to get the ball rolling in terms of tire development and engineering (still in its infancy for fatbikes) is an honest look at what they can and can't do.
    True. I didn't know how bad we had it until the Nate came out this year. Can't wait to try the Husker Du and hopefully other tires will follow.
    The LPG

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    You guys are hilarious. Never thought that a kernel of unbiased, objective criticism would get so many panties in a bunch around here. You guys are worse than the catholic church.

The amazing thing is, that you know everything it "can & can't" do, and you just bought it... Allot of the guys your talking to have been riding them for years.

Though it may be relatively new in cycling, "high floatation" set-ups have been around for quite a while. Not the best choice for a cross country trip in your sports car... but great on your dune buggy, jeep, etc... Fat Biking is simply just cyclists (finally) messin' around with high floatation... and it's about time. It's not for everyone, not for every surface. I can't wait to find out what I CAN do next w/ mine.

mtbr member
    ...the only way to get the ball rolling in terms of tire development and engineering (still in its infancy for fatbikes) is an honest look at what they can and can't do.
    I agree with that. You have been making some good points.

Don't bite and it will all stop.

But I will say that your original post didn't come across as unbiased criticism, but more as a troll rant (which I now know it wasn't - you were just upset), and that's why you have got this reaction.

Then in your reaction to that, you got insulting.

If it had been presented in a more neutral way people would have been jumping in to help you, and even as it stands, there has been lots of good advice posted for you.

I think what everyone is trying to tell you is now you have bought the tool, you need to take some time to learn the skills to use it. They are different to normal cycling.

And yes, fatbikes are overhyped. What do you expect on an enthusiast forum?

Don't give up.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    if you can't reach the moon from here...keep in mind Kepler's laws of orbital motion:

V1 = √[G*M/R]

V2 = √[2GM/R]

... you only need to pedal harder and faster to gain the first and second cosmic speed...

you only problem will be the deacceleration on the moon surface... i hope you have good brakes (v-brakes should be fine)... because the moon has a lower g-force

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    I agree with that. You have been making some good points.

Don't bite and it will all stop.

But I will say that your original post didn't come across as unbiased criticism, but more as a troll rant (which I now know it wasn't - you were just upset), and that's why you have got this reaction.

Then in your reaction to that, you got insulting.

If it had been presented in a more neutral way people would have been jumping in to help you, and even as it stands, there has been lots of good advice posted for you.

I think what everyone is trying to tell you is now you have bought the tool, you need to take some time to learn the skills to use it. They are different to normal cycling.

Don't give up.
    Eh, don't flatter yourselves. It's just an internet forum, and I'm not going to lose sleep over some overly sensitive and defensive fatbike owners spewings. Some of you have been helpful. Others, eh not so much. Par the course.

I apologize if I have interrupted the circle jerk here. If posters' feelings are getting hurt over someone raising valid questions about bicycles over the internet, maybe there is a little too much emotional investment. They're just bikes.

And enough with the "learn more skills" nonsense. Whenever I go anywhere it's by way of bicycle. I average 150 miles per week in a variety of settings and conditions. I'd be willing to bet that that is significantly more than the majority of the posters here. And as much as you guys say otherwise, weight distribution and tires pressures are not rocket science. Several other posters here have echoed my sentiments about traction issues with the Larry and endo tires. Just pretending that these issues don't exist isn't exactly conducive to progress.
    Last edited by ultraspontane; 12-07-2011 at 04:29 AM.

Nemophilist
    Well then... in that light;

Anyone with your vast experience should have been able to see through all the hype and BS and envisioned that these bikes, at the level of development that exists, couldn't do anything special all by themselves, and would be a disappointment to you.

You almost made it, but you crashed within sight of the parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    You almost made it, but you crashed within sight of the parking lot.
    +1

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hey guys.

Go back to the first post. Is not this thread nothing but a spoof? At least I
    took it that way. In that light let me say that pcrap is unaware of the built in
    safety features of the moonlander.

It knows:

He can't swim and needed an oxygen supply before he should attempt
    higher elevations, so no way was the moonlander ever going to take him
    to the moon.

In short, the moonlander knows that he lacks the proper skills to ride.

mtbr member
    Eh, don't flatter yourselves...

I apologize if I have interrupted the circle jerk here. If posters' feelings are getting hurt over someone raising valid questions about bicycles over the internet, maybe there is a little too much emotional investment. They're just bikes.

And enough with the "learn more skills" nonsense...
    Ah well, we tried to help you. Enjoy your just a bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Eh, don't flatter yourselves. It's just an internet forum, and I'm not going to lose sleep over some overly sensitive and defensive fatbike owners spewings. Some of you have been helpful. Others, eh not so much. Par the course.

And enough with the "learn more skills" nonsense. Whenever I go anywhere it's by way of bicycle. I average 150 miles per week in a variety of settings and conditions. I'd be willing to bet that that is significantly more than the majority of the posters here. And as much as you guys say otherwise, weight distribution and tires pressures are not rocket science. Several other posters here have echoed my sentiments about traction issues with the Larry and endo tires. Just pretending that these issues don't exist isn't exactly conducive to progress.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    It's funny when I got my Pug and rode it for a year I kept discovering more and more I could do with it. 3-4yrs ago fat bikes were totally underhyped. We're trying to get LBS to bring in more fatbike stuff. I'm going to leave my Pugs at a LBS whenI am out of town over the holidays to [hopefully] show them the interest level. The hype certainly hasn't spread to Vancouver Island.

Reading this forum I don't see much in the way of exaggerated performance claims. People are talking about what they are doing and there are so many people out riding fatbikes in a wide variety of terrain it's really hard to take these objective criticisms seriously.

The only way to figure out a bike is to ride it. Adjust it. Ride it some more. Find someone with the same type of bike and go riding with them. Repeat.

There have been lots of useful responses to the hype claims - both demonstrating solutions that work, ride experiences and gear suggestions. There is no way to solve the problem online. You gotta solve it on the bike.

I ride with guys that finesse their bikes up and over stuff I can't. They find traction and a line that lets them solve problems I can't. I never for a second assume my bike is broken or that I got hype-scammed by a mountain bike video.

Every mountain bike ride out on the wet coast I deal with traction issues. My tires slide. Sometimes I crash. Sometimes I just dab. Part of the skill set out here is learning how to maximize the limited traction that's available.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    ...Reading this forum I don't see much in the way of exaggerated performance claims...
    I wonder what happens to someone who knows it all when they jump on a fixie for the first time.

No need to learn new skills my ass

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ditto! Time to move on. This guy bought an FB and had a bad 1st ride... and now he knows everything about them. It is just a bike... two wheels, saddle, handle bars, peddles... beautiful thing!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Brian Fantana: Don't get me wrong, I love the ladies. I mean they rev my engines, but they don't belong in the newsroom.

Champ Kind: It is anchor*man*, not anchor*lady*. And that is a scientific fact.

Brick Tamland: I don't know what we're yelling about.

Brian Fantana: You're with us, Ron, what do you think?

Ron Burgundy: She... Sh... It's terrible. She has beautiful eyes, and her hair smells like cinnamon.

Brick Tamland: [shouts] LOUD NOISES!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Eh, don't flatter yourselves. It's just an internet forum, and I'm not going to lose sleep over some overly sensitive and defensive fatbike owners spewings. I apologize if I have interrupted the circle jerk here.
    So....you started riding in 2008 and now you're in the middle of a circle jerk on the foremost fat bike forum on the planet where many have been riding longer than you've probably been alive...

Better just sell your Pugs and move on. First rule of fat biking ....they aren't for everyone.

mtbr member
    Just a bike?! Just a bike?! Heresy!!! Actually I have been Fatbikeing for a few years and I talked my friend into buying one. Last winter in western Mass we had lots of snow without thaw/freeze cycles, thus the trails remained relatively soft. We had so much trouble with lack of rear traction and front wheel washouts that the first several rides were frustrating and not fun. He was actually angry at me for talking him into buying the bike. Later in the season, however things firmed up and his rig was clearly superior to conventional bikes. Moral of the story: be patient, you'll love it.

It aint gonna ride itself
    You've made your points, some of which are valid, some of which are not. Regardless of how correct or insightful your valid points may be, I personally would be happy to see your inflammatory language and tender ego go elsewhere.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    All people that cannot take a joke, please report to the emotional healing and group hugging forums, below.

Back to the original topic--I think I've found the problem. Your Moonlander has a heavy steel frame that is weighing down your efforts. My lightweight, corrosion resistant Mukluk has no problems riding to the moon, riding on water, mountain climbing, or performing various other and sundry tasks. In fact, just this morning I rode into low earth orbit (as I didn't have time for a full jaunt to the moon).

I have had to change the lubricant that I use, as the old grease I was using would burn up on reentry and I scorched a few BB bearings before realizing what was wrong.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lawfarm View Post
    In fact, just this morning I rode into low earth orbit (as I didn't have time for a full jaunt to the moon).
    Dude, you must share details of your clothing setup.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

Rippin da fAt
    I believe this thread has been awarded the "dryer than dry" status...
    Great collection of dry humor!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    I believe this thread has been awarded the "dryer than dry" status...
    Great collection of dry humor!
    I smell a sticky

Rippin da fAt
    Being on fAt tires requires a warped sense of humor!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    Dude, you must share details of your clothing setup.
    It depends on altitude.

The first 5,000 feet ASL I wear pretty standard clothing. Between 10,000 feet and 150,000 feet, I start adding one layer of clothing for every 25,000 feet that I climb. Over 150,000, I stop briefly and put used bread bags over my socks, for a bit of added wind protection. After 30 miles, I drop a layer every 5 miles, due to heat buildup from aerodynamic drag (although the Jones Loop bars give me an aerodynamic position that really helps mitigate that issue). So around 70 miles, I'm just wearing the bread bags and my shoes. Oh, and a helmet (gotta be safe).

As distance increases beyond 70 miles, things start getting cold, fast...so the layers go back on as needed.

Someone mentioned the need for oxygen above--that is really one of the biggest benefits of atmospheric/moon training and riding. My anaerobic wattage output has greatly, greatly benefitted from riding in an oxygen depleted setting. It's kinda like an altitude tent, on steroids.

mtbr member
    And on a new weird note

If my Moonlander ever arrives with 17cu’ of helium in each wheel it should weigh about 25#
    Making the Surly Moonlander the lightest production Fat Bike in the world.

Vagician
    The Moonlander can't get you to the moon. It can only help you land once you get there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bprsnt View Post
    And on a new weird note

If my Moonlander ever arrives with 17cu’ of helium in each wheel it should weigh about 25#
    Making the Surly Moonlander the lightest production Fat Bike in the world.
    For fun I did a quick google search to find out how much it would actually lighten a moonlander. With about 23 liters per tire at standard environmental conditions google tells me the hellium in the tires would lift about .1 lb.
    laotzucycles.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Is standard environmental conditions 1psi?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaredbe View Post
    For fun I did a quick google search to find out how much it would actually lighten a moonlander. With about 23 liters per tire at standard environmental conditions google tells me the hellium in the tires would lift about .1 lb.
    Rats....Maybe hydrogen would be the ticket

It aint gonna ride itself
    Quote Originally Posted by bprsnt View Post
    Rats....Maybe hydrogen would be the ticket
    Mix the hydrogen with a little O2, introduce a spark, and I guarantee you'll go places. (Briefly.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MauricioB View Post
    Mix the hydrogen with a little O2, introduce a spark, and I guarantee you'll go places. (Briefly.)
    OH the humanity!
    The Hindenburg landed perfectly on hydrogen.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by EPcycles View Post
    The Moonlander can't get you to the moon. It can only help you land once you get there.
    RIGHT! Good call. Moon LANDER! And once you've landed, the bike has anti-theft technology so you don't even need to lock it up (space-colored paint). Surly, you sly dogs...

Now I'm just waiting for the Surly Earth-Launcher and we can make a round trip. Maybe they can include some Surly freeze-dried space ice-cream and a Surly pee bag. Still open to name ideas for that last one...

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gregk View Post
    Surly pee bag. Still open to name ideas for that last one...
    How about the Surly Cathy. No pain, no drain.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Come on guys, we haven't even made it to the second page yet. We'll never get a sticky with only one page.

Let's not forget this should't be all about the Moonlander. It's more about the fringy people who are so out to touch they buy fat bikes and fatter moon bikes. That's the real problem. It's about an intergalactic circle jerk. It's about silly people wasting their money on a gimmick that's an epic fail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    OK guys

Full moon this weekend...Who is going to be the first to post pics/video of same to settle
    this hype? Moonlander not required. Beach ride prefered.

All fat, all the time.
    Wait a minute...aliens??
    Circle jerk is one thing, but probing is a whole different story!

oh crap...
    Props to you Velobike...good on ya being welcoming. Too bad the fellow couldn't get on board with good vibes!
    Grow some food for yourself.

mtbr member
    This is some funny schit!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gregk View Post
    Now I'm just waiting for the Surly Earth-Launcher and we can make a round trip.
    You can't make the round trip without the Surly Earth-Lander.

Nemophilist
    Oh guys;

Before you were clearly incorrect. Now your just plain silly. Come to think of it... "it's just a
    bike" might be the take-away kernel of this entire ordeal. or, It's not just the bikes, it's the
    people. Who knew the people mattered?

Snow on the ground this morning!

Ride on.

Ancient Astronaut

Should have waited for one of these

Just in satellite spy shots.

Is that a Nate ?

Salsa Enabler fork?

Nicely done, Internal cable routing detail.

Internal cable routing throughout, and you have to love the name!!! SuperSnow (job)

Someone has been having some serious fun here.
    I am puzzled.

Quote Originally Posted by Patagrande View Post
    Just in satellite spy shots.
    Internal cable routing!!!

Someone has been having some serious fun here.
    I am puzzled.
    Don't know what it is, but a Cannondale it most likely isn't. Welds don't look like right, and at this point, no Cannondales are "Handmade in the USA", been to the Bedford Plant, all welding has ceased. The font on the stickers is old too.

Now, all that being said, color me curious as well. I don't see any other maker's lines in it, and that's a lot of work to get the stickers just so. What gives? Where'd you see it?

So this is why the guys in the Lefty and Headshock department have been ignoring me about Fat Lefty clamps.....

Love this sort of crap

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Ancient Astronaut
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Don't know what it is, but a Cannondale it most likely isn't. Welds don't look like right, and at this point, no Cannondales are "Handmade in the USA", been to the Bedford Plant, all welding has ceased. The font on the stickers is old too.

Now, all that being said, color me curious as well. I don't see any other maker's lines in it, and that's a lot of work to get the stickers just so. What gives? Where'd you see it?

So this is why the guys in the Lefty and Headshock department have been ignoring me about Fat Lefty clamps.....

Love this sort of crap
    Sorry MCS,

The government source was instructed by his superior to leak the spy shots only on condition of anonymity, because he was not authorized by his superior to leak the shots.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    That bike needs a "Fatty" fork...!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    A rear fender mount? Nice details, whoever is building it...

My contact at Cannondale denies any knowledge, and says if it WERE theirs, it would have had a 1.5 HT, good point.....

Dammit , it's still cool, even if it is aluminum, come on, someone's gotta know!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    That is one bling bike!

mtbr member
    That's a 2012 907 frame, hard to tell with no full picture but it defly is.Pretty sweet that someone drilled it and routed the cable internally.

Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike View Post
    That's a 2012 907 frame, hard to tell with no full picture but it defly is.Pretty sweet that someone drilled it and routed the cable internally.
    Thanks, I feel better.

Man, why go to all that effort? Not like being what it was, is a bad thing, right?

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike View Post
    No wonder why I like it so much. I need to get out the drill bit now.
    The LPG

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I was under the impression that riding a fat bike would get all the popular girls interested in me!

So far just the opposite, I get lots of guys on the trail asking me about my tires.....what????....sheesh!
    LOL... Total sausage party. Around here, chicks dig fatties!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disappointed with my Moonlanders performance-027.jpg  

I like bikes

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb View Post
    I used to date Cathy. She was a succubus.
    LOL... I took a Kathy to my junior prom. Memories...
    I like bikes

mtbr member

moonlander snow psi

My Moonlander has been rocking. Running 7 psi in back and about 6.5 in the front, seems great. The seat post sucks though as there is not tilt options, so I replaced with an old carbon Bontrager seat post and Fizik seat. Perfect now, and i shed maybe 70 grams. HA

Human Test Subject
    I am disappointed in my Moonlander's performance on wet vinyl. Granted I probably shouldn't ride in construction zones, but Surly really should have considered how stupid I am when they made my bike.

mtbr member
    Sometimes when you take a noob fat biking, you see a look of dissapointment when the riders realize their bikes cannot float on soft snow. haha. Oh, to be fat young...