Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Dillinger 5 on Rolling Darryl fits a Pugsley offset fork

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  NYrr496 
#1 ·
There are too many tire threads here and I can't find the one that had a bunch of fit questions. So if the mods find the thread I'm thinking about, and want to put the comments there, feel free.

At 10-12psi a Dillinger 5 on a Rolling Darryl wheel fits with no problems on the old-style Pugsley offset fork. I'll grab a pic tomorrow. I currently have a tube in the tire to get it smoothed out from being folded in the packaging. I plan to go tubeless in the next few days with it.

I'm also going to try stuffing it on the offset rear and see how close it is on my Pugsley (a medium size frame).

One thing of note is that I have Avid mechanical brakes, and it is a pain to get the tire past the front brake caliper. I can deal with that though to see that big fat D5 on the bike. :D

I also found that even 10psi seems MUCH stiffer than 10psi on my old Larry 3.8 tires. I'm thinking I'll definitely be running the D5 under 5psi.

Andy B.

#2 ·
Here are some photos....

This is the closest the D5 gets on the front. There is actually about 4-5mm at the closest point.
Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Synthetic rubber

Here's the D5 mounted in the rear. It's difficult to get a good photo of it, but again, this is the tightest spot and it's about 3-4mm of clearance.
Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Synthetic rubber

The knobs rub the corner of front derailleur. I just have a standard 3-ring crank installed, but thanks to a very kind offer from a fellow forum member, I purchased a Mr. Whirly crankset and I think it would allow me to run a D5 on the back if I wanted. There is plenty of space between the chainstays.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Rim Synthetic rubber

#4 ·
Yup, Darryls with the cutouts. I'm only around 150 all geared up so I don't think anything will flex enough to cause any rubbing to worry about. Plus, this is mainly a snow and sand bike. Although, I do run it in the summer on singletrack when I feel like it.

#8 ·
If you're asking me, I have the MWOD, but haven't installed it yet. My Nate should be here tomorrow and I'm going to mount it up on a Rolling Darryl wheel. I probably won't put the MWOD crank on for at least a few weeks, well, unless the Nate has clearance issues. Then it will be installed in days. :lol:

Once I do put the MWOD crank on, I'll put the D5 in the rear to see what kind of clearance I have. I'll report my findings.

#9 ·
dillinger 5 on rear of pugsley

Dillinger 5, on rolling darryl at 20psi (overnight), seat-stay clearance

Fender Automotive tire Iron Metal Tread

chainstay clearance

Automotive tire Carmine Bicycle tire Cameras & optics Synthetic rubber

sorry for the crappy cellphone pics.

I have a Bud up front, and this particular Dillinger 5 doesn't compare in size. Its bigger than the 127 tpi Nate i had on previously. I'll probably have to drop a gear from the cassette in back. currently setup 1x10

#14 ·
An update on my front D5. I went tubeless yesterday (split tube) and had a good 13 mile ride. I aired the tire back up to a little over 10psi (I run lower out on the snow), and it definitely expanded overnight. On the front offset Pugs fork I am down to about 2-3mm clearance. I don't think it will expand much more, but I don't think it will work on the back of my Pugs because before it expanded I had only 3-4mm of clearance, this will put me down to around 0-1mm clearance. That is too tight. I'll try it to see, but I don't think it will work in my case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.