Demo'd the Fat Boy today. Still torn about rigid vs Bluto- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Demo'd the Fat Boy today. Still torn about rigid vs Bluto

Tried to get a reading on tire pressure, but that was probably not accurate. My friend is running tubeless, and I was probably around 5psi. On the climb, which was just a little bumpy, I was thinking that I missed a rear shock more than the front, and would probably be happy without the Bluto. The start of the decent has some banked, tight 180s that I railed really well with this bike, and I thought, "Yeah, this is awesome!" Went off my first jump, and thought I was going to break an ankle on the landing (missed suspension there)! Then came the more technical, bumpy sections at high speed, and I nearly crapped my shorts as I almost bounced right off the trail. So now I'm torn again about getting the Pro vs the Expert. In reality, I only see myself riding the FatBoy on snow when I can't ride my Epic. Even with carbon wheels a FatBoy will never accelerate and climb like an S-Works Epic (and I'm always going out to go fast), so I don't think I will take it out Spring-Fall. How will the Bluto work in the cold - will it get stiff and slow? Help!
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2015 Fat Boy Pro HED carbon wheels
    2012 S-Works Stumpjumper FSR
    Delta 7 Ascend Road bike ENVE wheels

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You've been on a FS too long and forgot how to ride. Plain and simple.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    I wonder if I need to increase tire pressure. I've read that with the Bluto, people are running more pressure, and the tire is bouncing less.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Bluto not made to work under 20 degrees

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I feel like the choice between spending the extra cash for the pro would be more based on the 1x11 setup and XT brakes that it would be about the Bluto....

A rigid fat bike is still a rigid bike
    A hardtail fat bike is still a hard tail bike

If you really need to have full suspension to enjoy a bike, maybe you should be looking at the Salsa Bucksaw.

Anyways I just put in an order for a Bluto for my ICT. I can tell you in a few months how it works in snow

banned
    Sep 2008
    BAM!

TRUTH!

rigor mortis much, OP?

and there's NOTHING rigid about a rigid fatbike with under 10psi in the tires.

rog

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Get it with the Bluto and enjoy riding your new fat bike fast, year' round.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Bluto!! You won't regret it

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rdalcanto View Post
    I wonder if I need to increase tire pressure. I've read that with the Bluto, people are running more pressure, and the tire is bouncing less.
    How about you buy a fat bike and ride it for a bit? Set it up tubeless and test pressures. If your buddy was actually running 5psi tubeless, most anything under 2" tall on the trail would have felt like nothing. I don't know anyone that rides at that low of pressure on anything other than snow, sand, or muddy crawling.

Quote Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post
    Bluto not made to work under 20 degrees
    Did you eat paint chips when you were young?

Quote Originally Posted by thunderzy View Post
    Bluto!! You won't regret it
    I say ride the bike for 5 hours, on 5 different occasions. If you still feel like you need more squish, spend money on the fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I agree on the bounce thing except I find myself slipping on the flat pedals more and not the bike off the trail. Considered Candys and shoes for this but don't think they will work too well in the winter.

I only ever struck the rear rim on boney stuff at around 5psi. Too low but the bounce is reduced there.

The Bluto allows higher pressures in the front so the bike feels more responsive then.

If you are considering the Pro at anything more than MSRPx.8 then look elsewhere either for a different bike or a different dealer in my opinion. Those deals are out there.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I rode a rigid fatty for a couple years and then took my 29er hard tail out for a trail ride...took the whole ride to get used to having suspension again. And that was on some fairly technical single track with a lot of bumpy/rocky descents and climbs.

That solidified my decision - I definitely like riding rigid way more.

Give the bike some time, play with the air pressure....it takes a bit to find your sweet spot. But once you've found it....oh boy.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rkzhao View Post
    I feel like the choice between spending the extra cash for the pro would be more based on the 1x11 setup and XT brakes that it would be about the Bluto....
    I second this. The Bluto was icing on the cake for me. So much so that I ended up buying a used rigid fork too.

The DM 1x11 is sexy until you wanna add bashguard. There is already slight ticking on the 10t cog and the bash setup will only make this worse by moving the chainline in another couple mm's. Haven't tried flipping the chainring yet.

mtbr member
    It sounds to me like you like speed and have a good understanding of your wants and needs and would be best served by a rigid fork for snow only rides unless... you find like lots of other fat bike owners that you actually want to ride the fat bike all year. Also air pressure tweaks can do a lot to prevent bounce. Good luck on your purchase.
    laotzucycles.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    This is one of the reasons I love having a FS bike and and full rigid bike along with a CX bike thrown in for real abuse.
    Flotilla or Buffet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Re: Demo'd the Fat Boy today. Still torn about rigid vs Bluto

Did you eat paint chips when you were young?
    Let us wait and see how it is in life temps before you call me out. I am going off info from people who are much more plugged into this than I am or care to be.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post
    Let us wait and see how it is in life temps before you call me out. I am going off info from people who are much more plugged into this than I am or care to be.

It won't magically stop working at 20deg. It's a suspension fork that is no different than any other suspension fork, except it's wider.

mtbr member
    You could buy the base or expert model and a bluto, and build up a front wheel with a 135mm hope hub. With adapters you can run either the stock carbon fork or the bluto. You should be able to swap most of the stock parts you don't like and still be a lot cheaper than the pro.

Also, from my experience 5psi is too low. I think it handles much better around 8-9.

mtbr member
    Last night I started off with 12psi front and 10psi rear and even with the bluto it was a little rough. I dropped to 8psi front and 6psi rear and it rode amazing. Even hit a few 3-4 drops and bombed a couple rock gardens and the bike just ate it up.

Proper tire pressure is key to the ride quaility. too low and it steers itself with every bump in the trail, and too high and it is rough and bouncy.
    20 SJ Evo 29, 20 DB Release 29, 18 Vitus Dominer DH

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Good replies.
    I would prefer the XO1 on the Pro to the 2x10 grip shift system on the Expert. Bluto weighs 4 lbs. What does the stock carbon fork on the Expert weight? I could get rid of dropper post on the Pro and loose a pound there. XO1 should shave a pound. Maybe get to under 2lb weight penalty for going Pro with Bluto vs Expert without....
    2014 S-Works Epic WC

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rdalcanto View Post
    Good replies.
    I would prefer the XO1 on the Pro to the 2x10 grip shift system on the Expert. Bluto weighs 4 lbs. What does the stock carbon fork on the Expert weight? I could get rid of dropper post on the Pro and loose a pound there. XO1 should shave a pound. Maybe get to under 2lb weight penalty for going Pro with Bluto vs Expert without....
    Carbon fork is 1.5lb
    Dropper on the M is 1.3lb

I went Thomson Masterpiece for my winter setup and shaved .9lb

Right now with taped tubeless, boots for the Next SL's and the Thomson post, all else stock, my pro weighs 30.4llbs size M.

That is with the Zee cage and swat multitool in it as well as the swat chain brake and spare link contained in the head tube. As f it really matters a bunch...lol
    Last edited by Stephen Kunkel; 09-25-2014 at 07:23 PM. Reason: added tools

mtbr member
    i ADDED a Bluto and a dropper and not once have I ever thought "man, I hate the extra weight". The Bluto added 2 lbs and it is worth every gram.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I saw your posts where you were doing the same things I was undoing. I checked with my therapist and he assured me I was crazy too. So I just embraced it...

Seriously though I have a winter/summer thing going on with this bike. The dropper is one item I saw little use for when in the snow. For how I intend to ride it at least. The dropper goes back on this weekend. It's my first and, like you, I wouldn't eliminate it.

mtbr member
    intended use is a big part of it. We dont get much snow here, so my fatboy will see a lot of wet roots, mud and lots of puddles. It will basically replace my full suspension bike when the weather is bad. No pivots or rear shock to worry about cleaning and the 1x10 drivetrain keeps it simple too!

It will see occasional beach cruises and a little snow, but it is more of a poor weather trail slayer to me!

mtbr member
    I have a Fatboy superlight on order and it comes rigid. I have demoed a rigid fat bike and loved it. Of course, I have a rigid SS in my quiver. If, at a later date, I feel the need for a Bluto Fork, I will get one. I have read all of these threads and love the feedback.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ^^Please don't tell us you are admitting to riding muddy wet trails?

mtbr member
    I weighed mine last night. It was right at 32 pounds ready to ride with some dirt on the frame and a lot of sealant in the tires. If I was really concerned about the weight, I'd probably replace the cranks next. This started as the base model.

Large Fatboy:

Post - KS Lev
    Pedals - Canfield Crampon Ultimate
    Brakes - BB7
    Fork - Bluto 80mm
    Wheels - Hope Fatsno hubs & Sun Ringle MuleFut tubeless (built by mikesee)
    Shifter - XTR (10 speed)
    Derailleur - XT (10 speed)
    Cassette - XT (10 speed)
    Chain - XT
    Chainring - Raceface 30T
    Seat - WTB Rocket V SLT
    Bars - Easton Haven Carbon
    Grips - Lizard Skins
    Cranks - Stock
    Stem - Stock
    Headset - Stock
    Tires - Stock
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Demo'd the Fat Boy today.  Still torn about rigid vs Bluto-20140813_192415.jpg  

Loser
    I rode my Fatboy for a few months in the dirt with the carbon fork. It's a really fun bike in that configuration, but as many have mentioned, however you slice it, it's a rigid bike. Anything more than a small bump in the trail and you need to manage it with your body position, if you're skilled at doing that already, you probably don't need a Bluto (but you probably won't be riding a fat bike in the dirt either).

Personally riding the carbon fork took me way back to when I had a rigid bike and made me a better rider (again) as my FS 29er had made me lazy. However, even after the re-learning curve, I still couldn't charge through rock gardens like I wanted to, getting my body in the right place takes time. I found I had to slow down on the really technical stuff.

With the Bluto on it's a hardtail bike, but a hardtail with some cushion out back - enough so that, with a bit more line selection and body position management, I can charge through rock gardens just like on the FS 29er.

For me, riding on technical trails around here, it turned the bike from something I could ride only with slower groups or solo, to one that I can ride with any group.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I think I'm going to order the Pro with Bluto. IF I ride only on the snow, it probably won't matter. But, if I end up riding it a little on non Snow days, I will enjoy it more with the FS. Not that I can't ride it with the rigid fork, but I would have to go slower and wouldn't enjoy it as much. Besides, I hate grip shift and really like having 1x11....
    2014 S-Works Epic WC

mtbr member
    ^^Please don't tell us you are admitting to riding muddy wet trails?
    It's different here in the Seattle area. We ride year round, and 8 months of that is in the wet. The soil and terrain does not get damaged like it might it other regions. We mostly have soft loamy trails and you don't damage the tread by riding in the wet. Infact a lot of times riding in the wet helps the trails pack out better. I've seen other parts of the country with high clay content and the serious damage wet riding can do to them, but its not like that at all here.