The definitive B Fat tire thread. Now with moar numbers.- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 33 of 33
  1. #1
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    13,753

    The definitive B Fat tire thread. Now with moar numbers.

    I had an extra 10 minutes this AM and used it to compile weights and measurements of every B Fat (aka 27.5") tire I have in stock.

    Weights:

    Gnarwhal 4.5" = 1550g
    Gnarwhal 4.0" = 1410g
    Barbagazi 4.5 = 1347g
    Hodag 3.8" = 1332g
    Dillinger 4 = 1440g
    Dillinger 5 = 1517g
    D4 stud 60tpi = 1698g
    D5 stud 120tpi = 1623g
    Cake Eater 4.0 = 1353g
    CE 4.5 stud = 1660g
    Gnar 4.0 stud = 1463g
    Gnar 4.5 stud = 1660g
    FBF 3.8 EXO = 1490g
    FBR 3.8 EXO = 1381g


    Flat bead to bead:

    Gnarwhal 4.5" = 245mm
    Gnarwhal 4.0" = 210mm
    Barbagazi 4.5 = 255mm
    Hodag 3.8" = 210mm
    Dillinger 4 = 230mm
    Dillinger 5 = 241mm
    Cake Eater 4.0 = 217mm
    Cake Eater 4.5 = 260mm
    FBF 3.8 EXO = 210mm
    FBR 3.8 EXO = 210mm

    Caveat emptor: All weights were measured on the same scale, all widths using the same spoke ruler. I don't purport that they are precise to the millimeter or the gram, merely that they are consistent.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    51
    Wonder what the 27.5 Vanhelga measures?
    Cake Eater the biggest so far.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    179
    mikesee have you done one of these threads for larger 26 tires for fitment to 90mm to 105mm rim widths?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    254
    Hi Mike,

    Which do you prefer for un-groomed snow riding between the Cake Eater and Gnarwhal? Why?

    Thanks!

  5. #5
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    13,753
    Quote Originally Posted by timsmcm View Post
    mikesee have you done one of these threads for larger 26 tires for fitment to 90mm to 105mm rim widths?

    nope, sorry.

  6. #6
    fat guy on a little bike
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    746
    Quote Originally Posted by tablatom View Post
    Wonder what the 27.5 Vanhelga measures?
    i can help with B Fat VanHelga weights:

    27.5x4 120 tpi Vanhelga v.1= 1390 grams
    27.5x4 60 tpi Vanhelga v.1= 1470 grams
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

  7. #7
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    13,753
    Quote Originally Posted by amadkins View Post
    Hi Mike,

    Which do you prefer for un-groomed snow riding between the Cake Eater and Gnarwhal? Why?

    Thanks!

    Gnarwhal for sure.

    Cake Eater wins for volume/float, but the tread design just doesn't hook up when things are loose/unconsolidated.

    Some more detail on the CE's habits deep within this thread: https://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/te...o-1093684.html

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    8
    thanks for taking the time to do that! nice!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    9
    Cake Eater 4.5 bead to bead is the same as a Bud/Lou; is it actually a similar inflated width on a comparable rim?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    i can help with B Fat VanHelga weights:

    27.5x4 120 tpi Vanhelga v.1= 1390 grams
    27.5x4 60 tpi Vanhelga v.1= 1470 grams
    Thanks Rodney.
    I have a gut feeling, that if I had to choose 1 tyre for a very long trip that would do everything well, I think it would be the Vanhelga.
    Looks to me to be the ultimate allrounder.
    Have you experienced it?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,900
    Quote Originally Posted by timsmcm View Post
    mikesee have you done one of these threads for larger 26 tires for fitment to 90mm to 105mm rim widths?
    There have been a few 26 threads over the years. At the beginning I started my own summary of all the reported data I could find. Lots of info out there but enthusiasm for such info has waned over the past few years as fat fell out of fad. Either search up or send me a message with what you are looking for.

  12. #12
    fat guy on a little bike
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    746
    Quote Originally Posted by tablatom View Post
    Thanks Rodney.
    I have a gut feeling, that if I had to choose 1 tyre for a very long trip that would do everything well, I think it would be the Vanhelga.
    Looks to me to be the ultimate allrounder.
    Have you experienced it?
    Yep, I fuggin love it! All of my bikes have 27.5x4 Vanhelgas on them. I had (7) 26x4 Vanhelgas, and they were my favorite all season tire before the 27.5x4 version came out. the Bfat version has a great sidewall, awesome compound and knob layout. There is a new version, I call it the V.2, that seems to be the same except for edge knob is longer/wider.

    I run the 27.5x4 VH on 50mm rims in summer, and 70mm rims in rainy/muddy/non icy winter conditions. I have run them on 80's, but i have a tendency of dinging rims something fierce, so i went back to 70's.

    some of the basement's rubber selection, as i currently possess 7 VH...

    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    194
    This is a bit of a hijack but what rims are you all using for these B fat tires? My bike came with 26 but can accommodate up to 27.5 4.5. I have my 26 set studded and looking for a lighter and faster rolling setup as a second set of wheels. Options for buying the rims separate seem limited and expensive. Nothing anywhere close to the deal that Bikesdirect has on 26 wheelset + tires (399 for mulefut v2 with minions).

  14. #14
    fat guy on a little bike
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    746
    Quote Originally Posted by tgarson View Post
    This is a bit of a hijack but what rims are you all using for these B fat tires? ...looking for a lighter and faster rolling setup as a second set of wheels.
    i buy my wheels from mikesee and/or used. got burned a little from the last time on PB, so I am currently saving my sheckles for another mikey build...
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    51
    Awesome.
    If you have a couple you want to sell second hand and live in the UK, let me know.
    Cheers tOM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Yep, I fuggin love it! All of my bikes have 27.5x4 Vanhelgas on them. I had (7) 26x4 Vanhelgas, and they were my favorite all season tire before the 27.5x4 version came out. the Bfat version has a great sidewall, awesome compound and knob layout. There is a new version, I call it the V.2, that seems to be the same except for edge knob is longer/wider.

    I run the 27.5x4 VH on 50mm rims in summer, and 70mm rims in rainy/muddy/non icy winter conditions. I have run them on 80's, but i have a tendency of dinging rims something fierce, so i went back to 70's.

    some of the basement's rubber selection, as i currently possess 7 VH...


  16. #16
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    13,753
    Quote Originally Posted by tgarson View Post
    This is a bit of a hijack but what rims are you all using for these B fat tires?


    Bontrager Jackalope and Wampa, Nextie Xiphias, Sun Ringle MuleFut, Lithic Rhyolite.
    Last edited by mikesee; 18 Hours Ago at 09:32 AM.

  17. #17
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,175
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Yep, I fuggin love it! All of my bikes have 27.5x4 Vanhelgas on them. I had (7) 26x4 Vanhelgas, and they were my favorite all season tire before the 27.5x4 version came out. the Bfat version has a great sidewall, awesome compound and knob layout. There is a new version, I call it the V.2, that seems to be the same except for edge knob is longer/wider.

    I run the 27.5x4 VH on 50mm rims in summer, and 70mm rims in rainy/muddy/non icy winter conditions. I have run them on 80's, but i have a tendency of dinging rims something fierce, so i went back to 70's.

    some of the basement's rubber selection, as i currently possess 7 VH...

    Tire addiction, awesome

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CanuckMountainMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    94
    I have a problem too,
    Couldn't resist Bontrager's 20% off sale last Black Friday
    ...at least I have two 27.5 bikes now, so somewhat justified

    The definitive B Fat tire thread.  Now with moar numbers.-barbs-gnars_1.jpg
    2020 Trek Farley 7 Roarange
    2018 Trek Farley 7 ViperRed

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    51
    Gnarwal front, Barb rear combo's?
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckMountainMan View Post
    I have a problem too,
    Couldn't resist Bontrager's 20% off sale last Black Friday
    ...at least I have two 27.5 bikes now, so somewhat justified

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Barbs&Gnars_1.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	220.8 KB 
ID:	1290439

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CanuckMountainMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by tablatom View Post
    Gnarwal front, Barb rear combo's?


    Nope, both bikes are Large frame and can handle Front/Rear studded Gnars for Winter.
    Small/Medium Farley's come with smaller 3.8" Gnar on the rear now, use to come with Gnar Front/Barb Rear.

    I like the Faster/Lighter Barb's for Summer setup,
    Eventually hope to have them on carbon Wampa's

    New Roarange has a stud kit ready to go in next weekend,
    BigRed's Gnars from last year need to go back on, gonna try out the new Flash-Charger pump

    The definitive B Fat tire thread.  Now with moar numbers.-barbs-gnars_2.jpg
    2020 Trek Farley 7 Roarange
    2018 Trek Farley 7 ViperRed

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: El_Topo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    61
    Thank you for posting this.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I had an extra 10 minutes this AM and used it to compile weights and measurements of every B Fat (aka 27.5") tire I have in stock.

    Flat bead to bead:

    Gnarwhal 4.5" = 245mm
    ...
    Barbagazi 4.5 = 255mm
    Is that right? I thought the Gnarwhal and Barbegazi have the same casing?


    Quote Originally Posted by tablatom View Post
    Cake Eater the biggest so far.
    I wonder if we will see a 27.5x5 tire anytime soon, there are already 95mm Nextie Xiphias (NXT27XS95) available.
    Looking for fairly priced 17.5" Farley EX 8/9.8 in Germany or neighbouring countries. Frame only or whole bike, TIA!

  22. #22
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation: BansheeRune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,620
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckMountainMan View Post
    I have a problem too,
    Couldn't resist Bontrager's 20% off sale last Black Friday
    ...at least I have two 27.5 bikes now, so somewhat justified

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Barbs&Gnars_1.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	220.8 KB 
ID:	1290439
    Hello, my name is CanuckMountainMan, and I'm a tireholic...

    You do realize it takes one to know one!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  23. #23
    fat guy on a little bike
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    746
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Tire addiction, awesome
    I gotta post the garage wall photo, has to be $10,000 worth of tire stickers there... :P
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

  24. #24
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    13,753
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Topo View Post
    Thank you for posting this.

    Is that right? I thought the Gnarwhal and Barbegazi have the same casing?

    I measured 'em both twice to be sure.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: El_Topo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I measured 'em both twice to be sure.
    I was basing my assumption on your post from 2017, did they change something?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Wait til you see the Gnarwhals...
    Same casing, but gi-mondo knobs make them look even moar biggerer.
    Unfortunately, we don't have too much snow where I live but I still would to ride the few weeks available with a setup that doesn't complicate things too much and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
    CEs don't seem like the right choice, based on Mike's answer a few posts above and I expect Gnarwhals to be also usable in muddy conditions in the woods when the Barbegazis are loosing traction from what I was able to gather.
    Ideally, I would like to change from a 4.5" Barbegazi as a 3-season-tire to a 4.5" Gnarwhal on the same 80mm rim for winter riding.

    Now to my questions:
    Are the Gnarwhals 4.5" good for fresh, ungroomed snow of 20-40cm that is powdery (before it hardens a bit over the course of a few weeks) for a 100kg rider? Are studs needed for this?
    Would getting a 95mm (instead of the aforementioned 80mm) rim at a later point help considerably? I am not talking about real float because I expect to sink in close to the ground anyway but still want to have a good time riding.

    TIA for looking into this.
    Looking for fairly priced 17.5" Farley EX 8/9.8 in Germany or neighbouring countries. Frame only or whole bike, TIA!

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CanuckMountainMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    94
    Yes Gnars are perfect for the conditions you mention, studs only really add extra reassurance on ice.
    You may not need them all the time, but you only have to go down hard once without them to realize they are worth it.

    When they grip the ice on a corner or off camber they stick like velcro,
    very confidence inspiring, even more so than a stud-less tire on bare pavement.
    2020 Trek Farley 7 Roarange
    2018 Trek Farley 7 ViperRed

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: El_Topo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    61
    Thank you CMM, that is exactly the reply I was hoping for!
    Looking for fairly priced 17.5" Farley EX 8/9.8 in Germany or neighbouring countries. Frame only or whole bike, TIA!

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: farleybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    219
    Don't want to hijack the thread, but what tubes are you using with 27.5 x 4.5 tires? I always used Qtubes in my 26" tires. I think they were 26 x 2.75? I need to buy some tubes for backup. Thanks!
    I AM FAT!
    2016 Salsa Blackborow
    2018 Salsa Blackborow Mid

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CanuckMountainMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    94
    What's a tube?

    Bontrager makes Fat tubes in 4 sizes:

    I removed all 4 of mine (that came with both Farleys)
    But guessing they are 27.5 x 3.5-4.8's

    26 x 3.8-5.0
    27.5 x 2.5-3.0
    27.5 x 3.5-4.8
    29 x 2.5-3.0

    Link: https://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en_CA/e...tubes/p/12252/
    2020 Trek Farley 7 Roarange
    2018 Trek Farley 7 ViperRed

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,433
    Quote Originally Posted by farleybob View Post
    Don't want to hijack the thread, but what tubes are you using with 27.5 x 4.5 tires? I always used Qtubes in my 26" tires. I think they were 26 x 2.75? I need to buy some tubes for backup. Thanks!
    Tubes stretch. Crazy, right?
    I keep a 26" q tube in my pack for my B Fats...

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: farleybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckMountainMan View Post
    What's a tube?

    Bontrager makes Fat tubes in 4 sizes:

    I removed all 4 of mine (that came with both Farleys)
    But guessing they are 27.5 x 3.5-4.8's

    26 x 3.8-5.0
    27.5 x 2.5-3.0
    27.5 x 3.5-4.8
    29 x 2.5-3.0

    Link: https://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en_CA/e...tubes/p/12252/
    Thanks! I am obviously tubeless as well but want some backup for Tuscobia and Arrowhead where you need to be prepared for problems while out in the boonies!
    I AM FAT!
    2016 Salsa Blackborow
    2018 Salsa Blackborow Mid

  32. #32
    beer thief
    Reputation: radair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    4,871
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Topo View Post
    ...
    Now to my questions:
    Are the Gnarwhals 4.5" good for fresh, ungroomed snow of 20-40cm that is powdery (before it hardens a bit over the course of a few weeks) for a 100kg rider? Are studs needed for this?....
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckMountainMan View Post
    Yes Gnars are perfect for the conditions you mention, studs only really add extra reassurance on ice...
    Ahh, unless your 20-40 cm of snow (~8"-16") is extremely light, like Utah light, I'm not sure there are any tires that are going to work well in snow that deep.

    Or maybe I stumbled into the ebike forum...

  33. #33
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation: BansheeRune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,620
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Ahh, unless your 20-40 cm of snow (~8"-16") is extremely light, like Utah light, I'm not sure there are any tires that are going to work well in snow that deep.

    Or maybe I stumbled into the ebike forum...
    At that point, you drop Espen a line regarding his 5.6's...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

Similar Threads

  1. Pugsley wheelset for sale, now with moar bling!
    By mikesee in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-17-2016, 01:56 PM
  2. B Plus wheelset for sale. Now with moar purple.
    By mikesee in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-29-2016, 02:45 PM
  3. B Plus wheelset for sale. Now with moar purple.
    By mikesee in forum 26+/27.5+/29+ Plus Bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-29-2016, 02:11 PM
  4. We need moar smilies. moar much moar.
    By car bone in forum Site Feedback/Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-21-2013, 10:04 AM
  5. Moar spam! OX Brand Ti cruiser is up now.
    By ~martini~ in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-11-2011, 08:16 PM

Members who have read this thread: 148

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.