Defective Big Fat Larry?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Defective Big Fat Larry?

Help! I have a killer amount of runout on my BFL - I mounted it on a Rolling Darryl and I just can't get it right. I tried soapy water, flipped the tube around, spun the tire 180 degrees - and it always has a major left "welt" that happens right at the Surly logo. It'll move 3/4 of an inch. The bead looks good and even all around. Has anybody seen this? Is the tire just defective?

I have another one that mounted right up to my other Rolling Darryl. No issues other than minor runout.

I just wanted to make sure I'm not making a noob mistake, but I'm pretty sure I've not done anything wrong with the install.

Thanks in advance - any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

No, that's not phonetic
    Folding or wire? I have two folding BFLs, and on one the bead is so loose it barely stays on UMA IIs, and blew off Hundies. If your bead is seated evenly on the rim's hook all the way around, then it could be an issue with the casing, though this is the less likely scenario. More likely that it is not seated evenly. Airing up until the tire is marshmallow soft and then massaging the bead into place is your best bet.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Not sure if this is relevant but I noticed the bead on the 4 Nates I have sits higher right where the surly logo is, compared to the rest of the tire.

Self-defeatist
    Not a tube issue, is it? I have a DH tube in my Larry and it has a small indent on the sidewall at the valve stem (which is lined up with the logo).
    I'm covered in beer.

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrstein View Post
    I tried soapy water, flipped the tube around, spun the tire 180 degrees - and it always has a major left "welt" that happens right at the Surly logo. It'll move 3/4 of an inch. The bead looks good and even all around. Has anybody seen this? Is the tire just defective?...
    I've got a regular Larry with a big hop, did the soapy water et al. I also have a Large Marge rim with a big hop. It's ugly, gotta wonder how a $140 rim and a $120 tire can suck so bad, where's the QC?

mtbr member
    Upon further inspection, the wire bead is set wrong in the casing on both sides. On one side the wire is much further away fromt he seat as it approaches the Surly logo, and almost leaves the casing 180 degrees away. The other side has the same problem, but offset another 180 degrees. I'm thinking this tire is pretty much the worst case scenario.

Nothing no how will make it right, so I'll be contacting Surly Monday.

It isn't the tube, but that's a good question. The tube works fine with other tires, though... and the big lump in the BFL follows the logo when I turn the tire (the tube is of course always in the same position).

The wheels are very true, just had 'em laced up by my LBS and I checked the runout to make sure it wasn't exagerating the tire problem.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Surly's tires are all made by Innova. This is one of the worst tire companies around. 99% of their tire production are cheap arsed models seen as OEM on department store bicycles. They also make motorcycle, go-kart, atv, and electric golf/scooter/wheelchair tires. Again they're widely used OEM but they're not what any enthusiast orders aftermarket. They only recently started offering foldable-bead models at all. It is no surprise to me that the quality control and consistency is so lacking on these tires though it is a surprise to me that Surly would put their brand name onto such crap or that QBP would have even have gone to Innova to have the tires made in the first place. They would have been much better going to a company like Vee Rubber or Panaracer or CST.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    Surly's tires are all made by Innova. This is one of the worst tire companies around....

You're a beacon of light on a gloomy day. Really.

No, really. Every post of yours is just a little more gleaming than the last.

Thanks for the uplifting info. Again.

MC

mtbr member
    Surly's tires are all made by Innova. This is one of the worst tire companies around. 99% of their tire production are cheap arsed models seen as OEM on department store bicycles. They also make motorcycle, go-kart, atv, and electric golf/scooter/wheelchair tires. Again they're widely used OEM but they're not what any enthusiast orders aftermarket. They only recently started offering foldable-bead models at all. It is no surprise to me that the quality control and consistency is so lacking on these tires though it is a surprise to me that Surly would put their brand name onto such crap or that QBP would have even have gone to Innova to have the tires made in the first place. They would have been much better going to a company like Vee Rubber or Panaracer or CST.
    I havent' had trouble with any of their tires before, but I've only had about a half dozen of them. I picked up another BFL from my LBS today and it mounted up just fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I had a defective bead on a folding BFL. Otherwise they've all been fine.

Fatback
    We go through a fair amount of Endos, Larrys and now BFLs. There have been some that were defective, but all in all they have been fine. It's not easy to be perfect on a tire that size, and the percentage of rejects is really small.
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

Harmonius Wrench
    They would have been much better going to a company like Vee Rubber or Panaracer or CST.
    Well, if Vee Rubber's first tire is any indication, I think Surly actually did us all a favor by not using them. That Vee Rubber folding bead fat tire is a tank!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Pretty sure their choice of contractor has more to do with minimum order size. FYI..QBP had to chip in($$$$$$$) on a new machine for use in Innova's factory. They've got exclusive rights to use of that machine for a couple years(at least). With that in mind it isn't surprising that there are a few rejects. I bet the factory employees already had a hell of a time with their other tires. If you've got a problem just call up Surly. Just thinking they want all the new products to launch without a hitch and will be more than happy to help.