D5 on a 100mm VS 80/85mm ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

D5 on a 100mm VS 80/85mm ?

Has anyone experienced the ride and handling difference of a (not really 4.8) Dillinger 5 on 100mm rims compared to 80 or 85mm rims in the 3-4 psi range ?

Differences like self steer and compliance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danaco View Post
    Has anyone experienced the ride and handling difference of a (not really 4.8) Dillinger 5 on 100mm rims compared to 80 or 85mm rims in the 3-4 psi range ?

Differences like self steer and compliance.
    I can't really answer your question directly. I have them on 82mm rims, and am REALLY happy with the combination. You might be interested in reading some of Salsa's sales literature though, for some of their complete bikes. In a similar manner, they've decided that the D4 works best, and gives the best tread shape, on a narrower-than-intended (large marge) rim. To my way of thinking, the tread would have way too squared-off of a profile on a wider rim. More than most tires, because it was designed that way. Some people do prefer such square-ish profiles, but I find it unsettling when the tires want to squirm around when you're leaning the bike onto the "chine." (referring only to my preference on normal tires.) I also don't believe that a wider footprint achieved by a squared-off tread alone will increase floatation in softer snow, because it's the actual casing that matters.
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]