mtbr member
    Dec 2015

Cyclocross Fat bike VS cross bike? Race footage.

Well I raced cyclocross last weekend. I used my new cross bike on Saturday and Fat bike on Sunday. I just got the cross bike 2 days before the race and never been on one before. So I was not comfortable taking the turns. I have no idea how well they will hook up in turns. The fat bike did great on the course. I could take any line I wanted and it hooked up great. Not the best race footage. Camera was not set up right and I did not feel safe using my gimbal. I would of had a better time with the fat bike but I was determined to try to climb the hill and lost about 20 sec per lap instead of running it up.
    https://youtu.be/IScqh8b5mB4
    dehttps://youtu.be/IScqh8b5mB4
    Last edited by Keith-OH; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:57 PM.

Cycologist
    The CX will hook up just as well as all the other CX bikes were hooking up in the race. You just need to get used to it. The first time I rode my CX on a gravel road (I've never raced CX btw), I remember thinking how much I was sliding around. Since then, I've ridden it a lot on pavement, single track and more fine granite paths and mild (and short) gravel roads. Then a couple of weeks ago I rerode that gravel road and I was surprised that I didn't have that same "sliding around" sensation; I had gotten used to how the bike handles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

Elitest thrill junkie
    If I raced cross this season, I would have used my fatbike. Waiting on surgery, I knew I'd mess myself up more with the cross moves and radical ups. I've done several gravel grinders and it's comedy how I can keep up by drafting and turn out respectable finishes. The only problem is when I can't draft, the wind resistance at 17+mph gets absolutely crazy.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have more fun on 700x33 cross tires than MTB's. Not knocking anyone from racing CX on MTB/Fat bikes--I've done it. Just more challenging and frankly, fun, on skinnies. It's a pretty tradition-driven discipline, anyway.

AK kid who LOVES bikes!
    Mar 2018
    I race cross on a plus bike..... everyone gave me a hassle until they see me bunnyhop the barriers and never get off my bike! 😁 sure I don’t get a few “bonus points” for riding a cross bike, but I’m consistently in the top three! That said, I don’t have a cross bike only because I can’t afford one this year due to other bikes being priority! ;-)

fading away
    Please for the love of the internets and English grammar incapable people of the world, no more “would of”, because “would” literally cannot technically at all “of”; “would” can, however, “have”.

Kill me now.
    goodbye cruel world. I am leaving you today.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Please for the love of the internets and English grammar incapable people of the world, no more “would of”, because “would” literally cannot technically at all “of”; “would” can, however, “have”.

Kill me now.
    You could of worded that a little more gently. (ducks)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    What is your lowest gear Keith?

mtbr member
    Last year I raced a cx race on my farley 9.6. Not sure of the cat but it was 7 laps for top guys and 5 for us. I got third. Took everything i had in the straights but the rooty wet corners i went thru like nothing. This zig zag steep hill section i road thru and the cx guys had to run.

Saying this i probably would have done better on my top fuel as most guys brought their xc bikes for the conditions. My farley just got in so i was excited to rip it.

Im a mtber and the drop bars are weird but ive was riding my cx bike alot on the trails in the fall and got way more confident on it. Now my FS 29er feels slow haha. Feel like going to a 29 hard tail and narrow tires, man hills are easy on a light bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rcracer2 View Post
    What is your lowest gear Keith?
    CX has 36 front and 28 rear
    Fat has 30 front and 42 rear

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I used the Fat bike again today. Tomorrow is cross bike.

https://youtu.be/Vh5d472IlnQ

mtbr member
    The entire idea of cyclocross is to use drop bars and skinny tires bike in awful conditions. Showing up with a mountain bike or a 22lb racy fat bike is a definite advantage.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    The entire idea of cyclocross is to use drop bars and skinny tires bike in awful conditions. Showing up with a mountain bike or a 22lb racy fat bike is a definite advantage.
    This. I don't get why people don't understand this.

Having any tire above 35mm is a huge advantage in cross. Doing it on anything but a cross bike is making it easier on you.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

AK kid who LOVES bikes!
    Mar 2018
    I understand the whole concept of the cross bike, but I think what many of us cyclists have a hard time justifying is spending $1,000-$6,000 on slower race times and more crashes..... as mentioned above, I ride a plus hardtail and I simply bunnyhop the barriers and go, I only move up one place out of a field of 60 of the same riders from the mountain bike races, so it’s not a colossal advantage, but it is more comfortable and does allow me to beat my one constant competitor! There’s also no way I could bunnyhop the barriers on a cross bike..... I would absolutely love to race a cross bike, but I can’t justify spending a few thousand to have slower race times, I’d rather have more fun hopping the barriers and having slightly faster race times and give my competitors the credit that they deserve for rocking the drop bars! Since I work at a shop though I take a lot of teasing for my race choices to which I respond by asking for a raise to get a cross bike! ;-)

passed out in your garden
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    You could of worded that a little more gently. (ducks)
    I would of ......
    always mad and usually drunk......