Custom Surly Wednesday build, need help with shopping list- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Custom Surly Wednesday build, need help with shopping list

I'm interested in building a fat bike for winter riding in New Hampshire. I tried a few times with my plus size bike on groomed trails and I was often sinking a bit too much. Also want to build it myself for the experience, and I've never done this before.

So I'm looking for input on my shopping list, to make sure everything is compatible. I'm 5'7" 130lbs.

Frame and Fork
    Surly Wednesday with stock fork, black, size small. Judging by the price I found it's a couple years old when the colors were black and that dark red.

Headset
    cane creek HD2410

Wheels
    Surly Other Brother Darryl Front and Rear 170/177mm No way I'm building wheels.

Tires
    Open to suggestions here. 4ish inches.
    Surly Rim Strips

Drivetrain
    this is where I need the most help
    Race Face Ride cranks WWC says it's for 190/197mm hubs, but Race Face website says 170mm, wheel I linked earlier is 170/177mm. So I'm confused
    Race Face threaded BB Trying to use something that uses the BBT-79 park tool.
    Chainring 26 teeth do I care if it's boost or not?
    For the rest of the drive train, I'm going to start single speed, so need Surly Snuggnut. I may change to some older SRAM 10 speed in the future. I already have a Surly single rear cog and spacer kit.

Seatpost
    Race Face Ride no dropper, keeping it simple.

Brakes
    TRP Slate recently got Quadiems for my bike, like em, want to try other TRPs
    2 TRP Rotors 180mm
    Front brake adapter
    Rear break adapter

Other Stuff
    Do I need to buy headset spacers seperatly?
    As far as saddle, pedals, stem, handlebars, grips, those are simple, some I'll reuse from what I have, others I'll buy.

Missing anything? Thanks for the help!

This place needs an enema
    The rims you're considering are good. The hubs are crap.

Do you need studs on your tires for NH winter riding, or just wide rubber for float?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    The rims you're considering are good. The hubs are crap.
    I was kind of expecting that. But I haven't found too many pre-built fat tire rims that aren't too expensive. $500 per rim is definitely too much, I'd prefer under 400.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Do you need studs on your tires for NH winter riding, or just wide rubber for float?
    I can probably get away without studs. The plus size bike I rode a few times last winter had studs because I was expecting conditions to be firm but they felt unnecessary. I'm sure there will be some icy spots, but groomed trails tend to be more granular than sheer ice.

Do the drivetrain parts look good to you? The crank is my biggest concern, don't know what size it really is.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Is weight a concern? The Surly O.D. fat cranks I believe are on closeout at many distributors. You don't get the direct mount interface, but you do get the 2 different BCD's, so you can run as small a chainring as you want. I'm at the moment using a 26/30T combo on the front of my pugsley. Basic inner 26T ring on the 58bcd, and the Wolftooth 30T on the 94bcd spot. You would use the pugsley od crank for the wednesday frame.
    FATTrailer for the kiddo, As Seen on the blue/green trails around Grand Junction now.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis256 View Post
    I was kind of expecting that. But I haven't found too many pre-built fat tire rims that aren't too expensive. $500 per rim is definitely too much, I'd prefer under 400.

I can probably get away without studs. The plus size bike I rode a few times last winter had studs because I was expecting conditions to be firm but they felt unnecessary. I'm sure there will be some icy spots, but groomed trails tend to be more granular than sheer ice.
    Click the red link in my signature. I can build you something custom with that budget.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Mike's wheels and Ednas will handle almost every situation you will find in New England.
    Pugs, Wednesdays, and Moonlanders are a perfect way to get around in the winter.
    I bought studded tires last year (after over ten years without them....) and should have saved my money for something else (hookers and beer?).

turtles make me hot
    Yep. Other Brother Darryls and Ednas. Use Raceface Cinch cranks. They make them specifically for 170mm bikes.
    Use a Shimano bb. The Raceface ones are not as good.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Another question. How big of a deal is it if I can't get the frame prepped? BB shell and headset faced and reamed, those types of things.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis256 View Post
    Another question. How big of a deal is it if I can't get the frame prepped? BB shell and headset faced and reamed, those types of things.

99% of the time those are well sorted when the frame arrives.

turtles make me hot
    I haven't yet had to do any of that to any Surly frames.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    As far as studded tires in NH/ New England....
    It depends on where you ride and how often.
    I live on the Ma/Nh border....and ride just about every day.
    Last winter....I was glad to have studs half the time....and necessary about 20% of the time.
    The winter before was a lot icier....
    As far as studs....the Terrene studs were the best all arounders

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I'm just over the border from you in Maine. Every ride can be different, from deep soft powder to porcelain "death ice". We had two weeks of the latter this past winter, and the Dillinger 5s weren't cutting it. I put a set of Wrathchilds with XL studs on my Wednesday. Much better. Those will work for pretty much anything around here except deep fresh powder. Which you should stay off until the trails set up, for groomed trails at least.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Last winter....I was glad to have studs half the time....and necessary about 20% of the time.
    Also living in the Northeast(Upstate NY) I agree with this assessment. Most days I didn't need studs but for those days when I got to the trail and it was boilerplate they were essential.