CS-197 Frame from Carbon Speed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2016

CS-197 Frame from Carbon Speed

After asking my question regarding carbon fiber as a fat bike frame material, I started poking around the internet and this forum to see what people ride and how it all works for them. It looks like carbon can be the bee's knees for some. My birthday is coming up and I thought maybe I could treat myself to another upgrade - a carbon frame!

I see quite a number of folks praising the CS-197 from Carbon Speed. If I got this frame then I would move the components from my Motobecane "Boris the Brut Sprung". I have three main worries though.

Would I be able to use my current drivetrain which includes a front derailleur and 22/36 Race Face crankset? I would think everything would fit, including the front derailleur.

I really like my RockShox Bluto fork. It looks like the fork and front wheel will clear ... but what if it doesn't?

Can I fit my current hydraulic brake cable lines inside the internal cable path?

I sent an inquiry to Carbon Cycles through their website last night and am waiting for reply. Maybe I should have sent an email directly to Peter Xu?

My experience with sellers on eBay hasn't been stellar. I ask 3 or 4 questions and they only answer 1 or 2 of them. That's a red flag for me.

Your thoughts and opinions are welcome. Remember, you can't offend me.

-=- Boris

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Just put a mastodin extended 100 on. Fits with plenty of clearance.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2016
    What's a "mastodin extended to 100"? I Google searched "mastodin" and got breast creams.

Is it a fender?

https://www.google.com/search?client...1-e&q=mastodin

-=- Boris

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Mastodon front fork. Man that carbon speed frame looks nice.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Oh, oh! Haha! Thanks for clearing that up. I knew it was a typo but didn't know what he meant.

I don't think I can swing a new fork and frame all at once. One at a time, one a month at best.

The Bluto fork has served me well these past four years. No complaints. I'd like to keep using it if possible.

-=- Boris

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Carbon Speed is no more active. Peter changed his activities to blockchain. You can find a bit more information here: Any news from Peter?

Hope this help!

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Thanks for posting about Carbon Speed. I suppose I shouldn't be expecting a reply then. Good thing I didn't impulsively place an order!

What are the alternatives in that price range then? Is it really eBay and AliExpress then?

-=- Boris

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by 6BQ5 View Post
    Thanks for posting about Carbon Speed. I suppose I shouldn't be expecting a reply then. Good thing I didn't impulsively place an order!

What are the alternatives in that price range then? Is it really eBay and AliExpress then?

-=- Boris
    did you do a search on this board for the cs-197?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    did you do a search on this board for the cs-197?
    Basically, there was a recent thread where it was told that there's a new maker producing this same frame.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Hi Jayem,

I just came to my computer and saw your two replies.

I did search for "cs-197" before but did not see the thread about the new manufacturer. Can you help me find that thread? I will try looking for it now too.

Thanks!

-=- Boris

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I think I remember reading TanTan has the molds XM Carbonspeed was using

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Interesting! With that bit of information it was fairly easy to find a "CS-197".

Here is a link to Carbon Speed's CS-197 for reference. Take note of the geometry. The picture is small but readable if you zoom in.

CS-197 NEW Two position dropout Fat Bike Frame CS-197 - Xiamen Carbon Speed Sport Goods Co.,Ltd

Here is a TanTan CS-197 with what seems to be identical geometry.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...archweb201603_

TanTan has another CS-197 but the geometry is different here.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...archweb201603_

Is this it?

-=- Boris

Elitest thrill junkie
    Tan Tan is the company, yes.

cmg
    passed out in your garden
    Is ICAN still around?
    I got my SN-01 from them, and its still ging strong 5yrs later, you would need to check the geo though
    always mad and usually drunk......

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg View Post
    Is ICAN still around?
    I got my SN-01 from them, and its still ging strong 5yrs later, you would need to check the geo though
    https://icancycling.com/#

Website still works...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

cmg
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    https://icancycling.com/#

Website still works...
    as does the frame.....

CS-197 Frame from Carbon Speed-20200607_135424.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    as does the frame.....
    Good to see that bike is looking and doing very well, cmg!
    Doctor recommended...

cmg
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Good to see that bike is looking and doing very well, cmg!
    *grinning*

Rippin da fAt
    *grinning*
    That, my friend is what it's all about!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I remember bumping into the ICAN SN01 frame during my initial search on eBay. Shipping was quoted to be a whopping $380. That was a total turn off.

The base price of the frame and shipping charges quoted by their own website is much, much lower at only $80.

At first glance the frame looks very similar to the CS-197. I like to redraw the geometry in AutoCAD as an exercise to get familiar with the frame and get some idea of stand over height, reach, etc. The CS-197 looked really good to me. Iíll have to do the same here with this frame.

Iím glad to see a suspension fork fits the frame. Thanks for the photo!

-=- Boris

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I've got a SN01 as my ride and a CS-197 as my wife's. I've got Manitou mastodon on both, but I had to add a 10mm crown race to the SN01. The newer forks have much flatter dials, so I could probably get away with less, maybe a 3mm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I don't know anything about Carbon Speed or that particular frame. But a glance at the photo you posted looked pretty similar in overall design to what I have.

The frame set I chose for a custom build in early March (after my beloved Specialized Fatboy Comp Carbon custom was stolen) was the Salsa Beargrease frame set. Frame and rigid forks supplied with it ran about $1800 plus shipping, it's adaptable to a wide range of forks and wheel tire sizing.

One thing: It's not designed for anything other than a 1xN drive system. I run 1x11 using a Raceface Turbine crankset (32T front ring), Shimano XT derailleur and shifter, and a Sunrace 11-46T cassette. Works well, covers all my needs, and proved durable and easy to maintain on the last bike.

Full info and specs are available on the Salsa website. The Salsa folks were delightful to work with and the frame set is super quality build and finish.

This is my finished Beargrease custom build:

I ride mostly on the street, but I've gone nearly everywhere with it, all kinds of terrain. The roadie semi-slicks with inverted traction knobbies are remarkably flexible for that.

G

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Thanks for the note, ramarren! Maybe Salsa sources the same frame geometry but adds a bit of buyer comfort (and price) through their support network.

I tried doing a dry run of ordering the ICAN SN01 frame. S&H was initially $80 but after creating an account on their site and going through the checkout process the shipping charge grew to $300.

Not what I expected but I understand shipping something that big, even if it's light, is not going to be cheap.

-=- Boris

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by 6BQ5 View Post
    Thanks for the note, ramarren! Maybe Salsa sources the same frame geometry but adds a bit of buyer comfort (and price) through their support network.

I tried doing a dry run of ordering the ICAN SN01 frame. S&H was initially $80 but after creating an account on their site and going through the checkout process the shipping charge grew to $300.

Not what I expected but I understand shipping something that big, even if it's light, is not going to be cheap.

-=- Boris
    Glad to help.

Service and support (that is: customer service that responds promptly and with good information, local dealers that stand by the product, a range of accessories and add-ons that are actually well designed and fit the frame properly, complete information about the frame, mount points for accessories and such should I want or need them, and fast delivery) is valuable to me. Whatever the price premium might be, they make or break my interest in a particular frame.

Shipping from Salsa's Nevada warehouse to the local dealer in California was included in the $1799.00 price for the frame set, no extra charge. I ordered on a Wednesday afternoon, and picked up the frame set on Thursday at lunch time. Less than 24 hours to complete the transaction...

You get what you pay for.

G

cmg
    Quote Originally Posted by akgrimace View Post
    I've got a SN01 as my ride and a CS-197 as my wife's. I've got Manitou mastodon on both, but I had to add a 10mm crown race to the SN01. The newer forks have much flatter dials, so I could probably get away with less, maybe a 3mm.

Wasnt that to do with size of frame?
    Mines a 19" (maybe 20"] and the Bluto is no hassles.
    Either ways theres heaps of info about that (although l dont know where it is)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lRaphl View Post
    Carbon Speed is no more active. Peter changed his activities to blockchain. You can find a bit more information here: Any news from Peter?

Hope this help!
    Damn, I've bought a few wheelsets from Peter and they have been great.

Thanks for the info though.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2019 Giant Revolt Advanced 0
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6