Cross post- Mtbr.com

Thread: Cross post

mtbr member

Cross post

I've got a quick question...

...I'm running a 2x9 with an XT 11-34, the 13 cog is removed to allow use of my 34 cog (fatbike)...R-der is an old, but freshly rebuilt (by an experienced wrench) XTR... shifters are Ultegra barcons mounted on Velo Orange thumbie adapters. In index everything works great in friction and mostly just fine in index except for the 30 and 26 find themselves in the same indexed shift...I can add just enough pressure to the shifter without going to the next index to move it to the 26, or take enough back without going to the next index to move it to the 30...but without constant modulation one way o the other, it half shifts back and forth between the two...

Anybody got any insight?

-note... the nearest LBS is a one-hour jet ride away and I'm not super skookum with a wrench. I'm not going to just start turning screws hoping I can work magic, but if pointed in the right direction, I might be able to get it worked out...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I assume you just removed a cog and kept same casette spacing is it spaced for 8-speed, 9-speed or 10-speed? What about the bar-end, what were they made to index with? Assuming you have the shifter and casette spacing matched, most likely cause is a rear-derailler with bent pivot bolts. Swing the RD back against the chain tension, see if the pulleys remain verticle or do they tilt slighlty as the RD pivots?
    You might try to use a 13 cog as your smallest cog instead of the 11. The jump from 15 or 14 down to 11 is pretty severe!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Is this a combination that worked before and not it is not working or is it a new combination and the problem has been there since it's inception?
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

mtbr member
    ...that was stupid...I never noticed the barcons are 8sp...It was never an issue before because I was almost exclusively in friction and the few times I used the index, the yet-to-be rebuilt der must have had enough slop that things worked well enough...damn...Anybody want to voice their opinions on the microshift thumbies?
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?