Thread: Crazy fat flat

Loser

Crazy fat flat

I was riding my Fatboy on Saturday morning, I felt a slight bump in the rear then a POP, by the time I had the bike turned over the tire was completely flat. I found a thin stick that had gone in through the tire (between knobs) then exited through one of the holes in the rim! Crazy.

I'm running split tube so there was a hole in the tire, a hole in the split tube and a hole in the rim strip. Unfortunately my spare tube was "pre-flatted" for me (I need to check those things more often!) so I ended up doing the walk of shame. The tire wouldn't stay on the rim without air in it so I had to pretty much carry the bike for almost 2 miles. I could balance it on the front wheel and roll it, but it was almost easier to carry it.

I looked at the tire today, no way a patch is going to hold it, so I ordered another. That tire is original to the bike which I got in Feb of 2015 and 1700 miles ago (ok, I ran Floaters on it for a little while too), so that's pretty good tire life, I guess.

I was entirely focused on trying to get my bike rolling, so the only picture I got was back at the car, I wished I saved that stick!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Sticks are bad.

I once took my dog to the vet with a super swollen paw.

The doc extracted a 3" long stick (including bark) from within his paw. She believed it must have entered between his toes, but it was too swollen to actually find the entry point.

I still have the stick in a vial somewhere.

All fat, all the time.
    Awesome
    At least it was only 2 mile walk of shame. Last year I had an 8 mile hike out of the woods, was not fun.

Loser
    You really get to understand the stiffness of the sole of a riding shoe after you walk a few miles in them.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Three things I might suggest. Super glue, rubber cement, tire patches.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    My very first fat bike ride I had no spare tube. The bike was brand new and I headed out into the woods totally unprepared. Too low tire pressure and I pinch flatted. Same thing, had to carry the 35lb bike a mile up hill back to the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    https://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/fat-flat-1009723.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    I was riding my Fatboy on Saturday morning, I felt a slight bump in the rear then a POP, by the time I had the bike turned over the tire was completely flat. I found a thin stick that had gone in through the tire (between knobs) then exited through one of the holes in the rim! Crazy.

I'm running split tube so there was a hole in the tire, a hole in the split tube and a hole in the rim strip. Unfortunately my spare tube was "pre-flatted" for me (I need to check those things more often!) so I ended up doing the walk of shame. The tire wouldn't stay on the rim without air in it so I had to pretty much carry the bike for almost 2 miles. I could balance it on the front wheel and roll it, but it was almost easier to carry it.

I looked at the tire today, no way a patch is going to hold it, so I ordered another. That tire is original to the bike which I got in Feb of 2015 and 1700 miles ago (ok, I ran Floaters on it for a little while too), so that's pretty good tire life, I guess.

I was entirely focused on trying to get my bike rolling, so the only picture I got was back at the car, I wished I saved that stick!

I did the exact same thing. Stick the size of my pinky through the tire and rim strip.

Duct taped the rim strip (assumed it would be temporary) and had a the local gas station put a car tire plug in it. (also assumed that was temporary) Topped off with some Stan's.

Lot's of folks said I would have to sew up the tire or it would deform.

That was three months and close to 1,000 miles ago and it's still holding.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

Loser
    hmm, maybe I should pull the tire out of the garbage. It's got a hole that I can almost fit my thumb through and it's shredded on the sides. I tried putting a patch on the inside and there is no physical integrity there, if it holds air (I think it would for at least a short time) there will be a spot on the tire where the patch is bulging out. I guess I should try it just to see if I can do it.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Stitch it, throw a good TIRE patch on the inside, and put the tire back on the bike.

Loser
    The thing is it's not one slit, it looks like a bullet went into it, four or five radial cuts. I'm not sure how I would stitch it. I stared at it for a bit trying to figure that out. I'll take some pictures of the hole tomorrow.

since 4/10/2009
    boot that hole

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Fyi, you can put some talcum powder in an old sock, then fold up your spare tube in that. It'll keep the tube from getting cracked etc in your saddle bag, and when you have a mechanical you can wipe muck of your hands with the sock!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Regarding the walk of shame.

Your inner McGyver just wasn't functioning properly

Stuff that sucker tightly with leaves and grasses, enough that it's effort to get back on the rim fully, and viola!

Been there done that. The mantra is, I'm a cyclist, I never walk.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

turtles make me hot
    I've been extremely lucky. I've been riding my fat bikes tubeless for three years now and never had a flat. Never carried a tube either.
    If I were to lose my bead, I'd never get the tire reinflated with my pump.

I recently brought the bike on vacation and did remember to buy a tube. I guess I'll keep it in my Camelbak from here on out.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Regarding the walk of shame.

Your inner McGyver just wasn't functioning properly

Stuff that sucker tightly with leaves and grasses, enough that it's effort to get back on the rim fully, and viola!

Been there done that. The mantra is, I'm a cyclist, I never walk.....
    Nice idea! I will keep that in mind if I end up in a pinch again. Thanks

Loser
    I've tried the material packing thing before with dry leaves on a regular mountain bike tire. It takes a lot of material to fill a tire to the point where it's rideable. I seriously doubt I could get the bead to stick with the tire full of leaves. I'd have to get the bead onto the bead shelf, it takes 20 PSI to do that, without the bead on the bead shelf the tire just falls off the rim.

The tube was pinched when I rode on it a few months ago, but not all the way through. It's a 2.5" tube, so stretching it out to fit in a 4.6" tire exposed the weakness where it was pinched.

I looked carefully at the cut this morning, it is more of a slice than a hole, but still has some radiating cuts. I'm going to try and repair it, just to see if I can, but I already have another one on the way. The structural integrity of the tire is gone around the cut, so I'll have to do more than a boot to fix it. I need something to hold the two sides together, stitching would probably be the best idea with some kind of rigid patch super glued in behind it.

I'll post back up when I get a chance to work on it.

I've had all my fat bikes tubeless for the last three years. I ripped sidewalls on too many FBNs to count. I had two instances where I had minor abrasions and I hadn't kept up on Stans replenishment, dry Stans doesn't do a very good job of sealing holes - I put a tube in, but went back to tubeless with fresh Stans and it sealed the tire. So overall it hasn't been flawless, but I don't ever worry about pinch flats and based on the condition of my rims that would definitely be an issue if I was running tubes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    ...without the bead on the bead shelf the tire just falls off....

The tube was pinched when I rode on it a few months ago, but not all the way through. It's a 2.5" tube, so stretching it out to fit in a 4.6" tire exposed the weakness where it was pinched...
    The only time I got a flat in 200+ fat bike rides in all kinds of weather was when I ran an undersized 2.4 x 26" tube causing the tire to unseat and the walk of shame. Actually, It didn't take long to fail almost most folks report better luck running undersized tubes. Fullsize tubes and tubeless with Stan's I've not had issues...yet. I do have a full size heavy spare tube but I tend to leave it and the pump home on most local rides. I'll let you know when the stick comes through my tire...

Peace out

-VB

====================
    GBM, Pugley & 9:ZERO:7
    Surly Ogre Rigid 29er - RAGBRAI 2013
    TREK Alum Hardtail 29er - Recon Fork

Loser
    Ok, so band practice got canceled tonight, so I had some free time.

Here's the cut in the tire, it was much bigger in my mind, but it still is pretty big and when you push on the tire it splits open, so there needs to be some structural integrity there - a simple tube patch inside was not nearly enough.

So I searched around for something to try to put in there that would flex with the tire, yet provide some structure. It didn't take long for me to find something - a rubberized plastic sheeting that we have in the shed to protect the floor.

I glued it in using medium viscosity super glue holding it in place with some wood clamps:

After letting it sit for a half hour I pulled it out of the clamps, it seems to have bonded REALLY well, including this little bit of super glue that pushed through the hole:

I have some Stans on order (should be here tomorrow), but I figured I'd try inflating it just to see if the patch would hold. Viola, it aired right up - I put it at 20 psi to set the beads and it's holding air great.

I'll deflate and add Stans tomorrow. I'm still not 100% sure it will hold as the tire flexes. I think it will since the flooring stuff will flex.

Rippin da fAt
    Jisch, don't throw that tire away if it doesn't take to patching, as it can be a donor of tire boot stock. The reinforcement of the thread ply in the sidewall would make a fantastic boot in the future.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

Loser
    I have really tried to mend my hoarding ways, at one point I had probably 20 worn out tires in a stack in my basement. I can easily convince myself that something has some value. If it doesn't work, I'll cut out a piece of the sidewall to use as a boot, but I am more likely to just buy a new tire when one gets ruined. With the exception of the above mentioned FBNs, my luck has been pretty good and I usually get a season or more out of a tire.

Rippin da fAt
    I have been rather lucky, in that in 2.5 years there have been no tire issues. Running with Surly lite toobz cause I just don't want a tire swap to be a career and a major cleanup effort. Sarge did have a run in with a small dried out cactus on a trail ride a couple months ago and had 3 thorns through the front tire, but the fatty has been very fortunate.
    Doctor recommended...

MaxTheCyclist.com
    I had the same flat once. Stick went right through the rim strip, same as you. Check it out!

Short Ride, Long Walk
    Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

Loser
    Wow, that looks just like what happened to me! I didn't save the stick, I know exactly where it happened, so next time I'm out there I'm going to see if I can find it.

Are you running tubes? Did you repair the tire?

Loser
    I did an 11 mile technical ride today, the patch held fine. I also got the replacement Ground Control. I'll keep an eye on it and will probably swap for winter assuming this patch lasts.

Rippin da fAt
    Nice to hear that you were successful in repairing your tire. At the price of em it's worth a try anyway.
    Doctor recommended...