mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Cranksets for fatties.

If I have an actual bb shell width of 107mm, a back end of 177, what raceface crankset would I need? Do you go by the rear end width, or bb shell, or something else?

mtbr member
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I've tried to look at all those charts in the past. It seems I need RF149 spindle. But, that's all great, unless when you go to order the cranks online somewhere, they don't really mention the specific spindles much. I see "fatbike cranks for 197 rear end", or for 177 rear end, that type of thing. My bike is kinda weird I think. I guess if I just find the arms only somewhere, it won't matter, as the Turbines' I have now use the same spindle and BB. Plus that might be cheaper too.

Nutrailer
    What make and model is your bike? More info will help others give you the answer.

Is the 107mm just measuring the width of the actual frame or including the bearing shells?
    What a perfect waste of time

turtles make me hot
    Yep... What bike?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    From what I can gather, you have a PF107 BB with a 170/177 rear end. If I were you I would look at the RF Cinch cranksets with the 30mm spindle for BB107 and a 170/177 rear axle width.

That's my guess....
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Bike is a Rocky Suzi Q. It is pressfit BB, so shell width is pretty much all I have to measure. I have Turbine cranks on there now, just want to lower my Q factor as low as possible, so just an arm swap is all I can do. If I can't figure out which actual set to get, I'll just buy a regular mtb set and take the arms off. I was just hoping to buy a whole arm/spindle set to make the swap easier.

since 4/10/2009
    FWIW, when I put turbine cranks on my Bucksaw, I had to buy the spindle separately. Since you have a turbine crank already, you could buy Next arms (lower Q) and use the same spindle. But considering the failure rate for Next arms (and the variety of failures that happen), I'd never spend money on them.

You're unlikely to find the arms you want WITH the exact spindle you want, because that bike is one of few that uses that bb shell size.

Your setup is uncommon enough, that there are going to be few crank options. IIRC, they'll mostly be DH cranks. I'd probably buy a different crank with narrower Q than getting Next arms, fwiw.

mtbr member
    The SuziQ is an 83mm BB fatty isn't it?

The RMB website lists the BB as Race Face Cinch BB107 Press Fit and the cranks as Race Face Turbine Cinch Narrow Q 28T. -30 and -50 comes with an Aeffect crank, the -70 and -90 come with the Turbine crank.

Here is the link to RMB page:
    http://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/suzi-q/2017

Nutrailer
    If you follow through the RF guide in the link below you end up with an option of Turbine, Next SL or R with a RF149 crank. The Next arms have a reduced Q of 7mm per side looking at the crank/arms illustration. Personally I don't think I would notice that small a change in foot/leg position especially on MTB but YMMV.

https://www.raceface.com/media/Crank...chainlines.pdf

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Normally I'd pass on the Next cranks after all the failures I've read about here. Trust me. But, I can get them very, very cheap, even cheaper now that they discontinued and on clearance at the big distributors. And, since they'd be full warranty, If I had a problem, I could put the Turbines back on temporarily, and maybe, maybe they'd send me the new style arms or something. I just need that lower Q, a full 10mm from what I have now, and the Next are the only logical way to do it. Pull my arms off, throw the next on, and be done. That's my thinking anyway.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have a -50 here also. I just bought the -90 Carbon. I'm going to sell the -50 and want to keep the original Aeffect crankset on there, plus the spindles and BB aren't swappable with the turbine/next, at least I don't think they are.

I liked my -50 so much I decided to go for it and get the -90. Not realizing the cranks, while "better" have a 5mm wider Q. So for what I can get the Next for, I thought I'd just do that and call it a day. I think I'll just buy whatever crankset I can get and swap the arms only. That makes most sense. And pray they don't fall apart.

Nutrailer
    Where do you get the 10mm reduction in Q figure from?

Name:  rf crank.JPG
Views: 115
Size:  22.7 KB

mtbr member
    IIRC, the Aeffect is a cinch crank with the spindle attached to the non drive side arm, so yes you can't swap the arms for the turbines.

I do recall now that thread you were debating the -90, I think you got a green one?

I seem to remember something in another thread, perhaps about the Cane Creek Wings cranks, DrJon posted it maybe?, about arm compatibility with the spindles and that a number of arms fit that spindle. So you may not need to buy RF crank arms and have some other options.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I've been told by several people, including OTSO bike company dudes that the Aeffect are 188mm Q, and Turbine are 193mm, and Next are 183mm, which are the lowest of the 3 cranks Raceface sells for my BB width.

Your chart shows a 5mm difference between Next and Turbine. But that's just one side, so double that, and you have 10mm difference, right?

Nutrailer
    Ah got it, but seems a lot of faff for a 5mm per side change. Have you ridden the -90 enough to have decided you must swap, and to possibly troublesome arms?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Since I have two near exact bikes, one with Aeffect, one with Turbines, I have ridden the Turbines fairly hard the last week and I have felt weirdness in my knees that I never felt before. I have the same saddles, stems, bars, grips, everything identical. Never had an issue with the Aeffects. So I'm just guessing it's the extra 5mm. Doesn't sound like much, but it seems to matter for me. I already have my cleats moved inward as far as I can without rubbing the arms.

So for a few hundred bucks, I'm willing to give it a shot with the Next I think.