mtbr member

Cranks hitting frame? Already at 5 BB spacers. Any ideas?

Frame is a 15in Minnesota 1.0. BB is race face 100mm bottom bracket. Cranks are 100mm Race Face Respond 170mm.

- Edit to add- Frame is only 170mm rear spacing, but chainstays do flare out quickly as its only a 15in.

The original cranks on the bike were 175mm which had been driving me crazy. Square tapered bb too, so I figured I'd replace everything and save some weight as well.

Removed the original cranks and bottom bracket last night. Put all the new stuff on with three spacers. Both sides of the cranks hit the frame. Ok. Took it apart, checked everything out. Worked my way up to 5 spacers (3 drive side, 2 non drive side). Got it to a point where it wasn't hitting, but I could barely fit a playing card in either side. Of course, the second I pedaled it hit.

Has anyone else had this happen? Any fixes I'm missing, short of getting a different crankset? Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by 9.8m/s/s; 03-08-2015 at 03:54 PM. Reason: more info
    I call for a mandate to allow only road bikes on trails to limit our speeds and increase our line picking skills-FB

Back in NH
    Jan 2005
    Likely that the BB spindle is too short. Did you compare spindle lengths? Framed uses super long spindles to clear.

Living the thug life.
    Yeah, that is great. I had a customer looking to replace one of those 100mm square taper bottom brackets after very little riding. He had looked "everywhere" before us, but those BB's did not exist aftermarket. Maybe things have changed, but be aware of this fact. Customer had to order an all new crank/bb set up. He had already replaced low quality tires. I have been seeing that those Framed bikes have been costing people much more than they expected.

To answer your question, you might have to go to a crank designed for a 190mm rear to make it work. Not ideal, not ideal at all.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Cranks hitting frame? Already at 5 BB spacers. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Logantri View Post
    Yeah, that is great. I had a customer looking to replace one of those 100mm square taper bottom brackets after very little riding. He had looked "everywhere" before us, but those BB's did not exist aftermarket. Maybe things have changed, but be aware of this fact. Customer had to order an all new crank/bb set up. He had already replaced low quality tires. I have been seeing that those Framed bikes have been costing people much more than they expected.

To answer your question, you might have to go to a crank designed for a 190mm rear to make it work. Not ideal, not ideal at all.
    O.P. go join the Framed Bikes Facebook group and you'll get some great advice vs. whatever this guy is giving you.

I replaced my BB /crank on a MN 2.0 with no problems. Guessing you just bought the wrong one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Logantri View Post

Update- Yea, looks like the cranks aren't going to work out. Will probably order the correct set tomorrow.

I'm realistic about a $750 bike. If I didn't hate 175mm cranks, I think I could have gotten a season out of them before switching and dropping some weight. Out of the box it was surprisingly ready to ride. Sure, the specs aren't up to par with some others. But even factoring in my mistake, the replacement, and a new set of on-one floaters I'm right around $1k. Can't complain too much about that.
    I call for a mandate to allow only road bikes on trails to limit our speeds and increase our line picking skills-FB