Cool Looking Rim Tape?????- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Cool Looking Rim Tape?????

Seen some internet pictures of folks with some very cool looking rim tape on Clown Shoes but I have no idea where to buy this stuff.

Anyone got a line on some cool graphic rim tape?

Thank You,
    De oppresso liber

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Use duct tape or anything really

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    My personal favorite is printed Duck (brand) tape. Easy to find locally and tons of options.

Printed Duck Tape® - Mash Up | Duck® Brand
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    My personal favorite is printed Duck (brand) tape. Easy to find locally and tons of options.

Printed Duck Tape® - Mash Up | Duck® Brand
    Wow, thats some cool looking stuff. I checked the website but did not find any locations in Europe and since I do not have an address of any kind I can not order it.

So now I just need to search the hell out of google in every European language, but I bet I find at least one place that has it in Europe or will order it for me.

Thank you,
    De oppresso liber

Anchorage, AK
    Duck tape is also very light weight. A rim strip made out of Duck tape weighs about 20 grams compared to 80 for a Surly rim strip. After I wrap the tape around the rim, I cover the adhesive side with some thin plastic to keep it from sticking to the inner tube.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    I took my daughter to the craft store and let her pic out some ribbon. It took 2 rolls. I sprayed the rear with waterproofing shoe spray stuff, and it seems to clean up easier. I didn't do the front because I'm stupid and didn't think of the idea, and my wife didn't do the thinking for me until the front was already done. The rear is the one that tends to get dirtier anyway.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cool Looking Rim Tape?????-fattie.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I used foam camouflage gun wrap. Textured and has a pattern but still low key.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I put the reflective tape found on semi trailers to my Fatboy.
    Looks great with the lights reflecting red & white.
    Added the tape to duct tape, placed in rim them added the factory rim strip to hold it all in place. One guy told me "oh man, that's too heavy, too much weight to add to your tires" It's a Fatboy not a road racer!!
    Here's mine next to another Expert, mine has Bluto & rim strips.
    In the pics you can see the rim strip with & without the flash.

Cool Looking Rim Tape?????-aug-30-2014-076.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cool Looking Rim Tape?????-aug-30-2014-077.jpg  

mtbr member
    Stupid question - you wrap the funky tape with the pretty side towards the hub, sticky side out, with a bit of overlap to get it to stick to itself...then wrap the sticky side with other tape or rip strip - sticky side to sticky side - to cover it up and hold it down, right?

Just trying to figure out how many layers you do and how it works if that cool looking layer isn't going to be very strongly attached to the rim.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee View Post
    Stupid question - you wrap the funky tape with the pretty side towards the hub, sticky side out, with a bit of overlap to get it to stick to itself...then wrap the sticky side with other tape or rip strip - sticky side to sticky side - to cover it up and hold it down, right?

Just trying to figure out how many layers you do and how it works if that cool looking layer isn't going to be very strongly attached to the rim.
    It might be a little loose when you put it on, but once the tube is inflated it'll be plenty taught against the rim.

Well I went to the hardware store and picked up some glow in the dark duct tape...looks really cool when you turn out the lights! Also put a 2.5-2.8 bontrager tube in, saving about a half pound between the new strips and tube.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

When I did mine I added Duct tape and reflective tape sticky side to sticky side.
    I ended up with a long strip with no sticky side. I made it so when wrapped around rim the ends overlapped about 3". Start placing on rim about 1 1/2" past the valvestem hole. Wrap around then added a small piece of tape to hold in place. Now punch hole for valve thru both strips and added factory rimstrip over this. Now it is basically 3 layers around rim, I think a little more protection for the tube thru those holes in the rim.
    Hope this makes sense.

Anchorage, AK

You only need one layer. Sticky side out and wrap a thin layer of plastic--like from a plastic bag around it. Cool looking and super light.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Awesome, thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Where you guys finding the reflective tape?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Utahbikemike View Post
    Where you guys finding the reflective tape?
    Got mine at Harbor Freight.
    They carry the "Roll" of tape and the "Strips" I think 16"- 18" that you could just lay out on some duct tape to make your strip

mtbr member
    Home Depot ...glow in the dark Batman symbols
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cool Looking Rim Tape?????-image.jpg  

Downcountry AF
    my first fat tire tubeless setup i put high visibility blue tape in. looks sweet at night, kind of like it's glowing not reflecting. the next one's i set up later this week will have a black rim strip with single blue dots to help them stand out a bit more. i'm pretty happy with the look.
    Attachment 925826Attachment 925827
    Attachment 925824Attachment 925825

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Not sure if mines cool or not, I like it
    Mongoose product development

mtbr member
    Jul 2008