Convince me that I need another fat bike- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 34 of 34
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    110

    We the people ... Convince me that I need another fat bike

    I am close to clicking on the button for a Mongoose Vinson but ....

    Some background..

    I'm 61 going on twenty something and have been road and mountain biking for thirty years or so. The last ten I did more trail running than biking but the accumulated knee injuries from being a thrill seeker over the years has me thinking that I should do more biking again. I want to keep moving.

    I currently have an old Gary Fisher 26 incher hardtail front-shocked mountain bike that I have gotten many good fun miles on. Small, nimble, stiff, but now I feel like I'm riding a unicycle with two wheels. It's nervous and somewhat harsh. Good for a quick young guy but feeling uncomfortable for me.

    My road bike is nice, many miles on, but the roads are busy here. Busier than they used to be. I like the woods and beach. Get me away from the people please.

    My Mongoose Beast is cool, but the lack of gears and brakes and it's weight make it less than ideal for the woods. On the beach it's not bad but again the lack of gears makes it limited. Upwind vs downwind is like uphill and downhill.

    So the Vinson is looking good. But my current bikes are also good. I sometimes buy things that don't get used much. So for maybe once in my life I am being cautious about a purchase even while being most able to afford it. Plus my wife may say nothing, but we know what that means.

    Locally here on Long Island the trails are wooded rooty single track with sandy sections, and the beach. We do get some snow here. It's really prime territory for a fat bike, although I envy you guys that have mountains and big country.

    So, sorry for the self indulgent rambling, but I'm hoping you guys will convince me that buying a decent fat bike is a good idea.

    And if my wife asks why, I will blame you guys. Thanks.

  2. #2
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,979
    You deserve it! Sell your GF and the mongoose so your wife doesn't complain

  3. #3
    Fat Biking & Health Rider
    Reputation: MikeTowpathTraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    943
    Okay, here's my two cents: Skip the Vinson and treat yourself to a better fat bike; there are enough used Surly's, Salsa's and Specialized fat bikes out there that you can get into a better fat bike for another 500 or so more then that Mongoose, if you look around.

    And since we're talking fatbikes, get the widest tires you can get ahold of. Think Specialized and the 4.6 Ground Controls, Surly with their 4.8 Bud and Lou tires. I'd think you'd appreciate the better float on the wide tires featured on those top tier bikes. I've got a Specialized Fatboy and love it. Since buying it in 2014, I've not used my other bikes.

    Best of luck!
    Mike

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jseis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    176
    I'm 61, I ride my fat the most. Love my road, C&V, and, MTB... But fat wins 99% of the time.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    You deserve it! Sell your GF and the mongoose so your wife doesn't complain
    I like this one. Yes, I deserve it and yes I should sell them.

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTowpathTraveler View Post
    Okay, here's my two cents: Skip the Vinson and treat yourself to a better fat bike; there are enough used Surly's, Salsa's and Specialized fat bikes out there that you can get into a better fat bike for another 500 or so more then that Mongoose, if you look around.

    And since we're talking fatbikes, get the widest tires you can get ahold of. Think Specialized and the 4.6 Ground Controls, Surly with their 4.8 Bud and Lou tires. I'd think you'd appreciate the better float on the wide tires featured on those top tier bikes. I've got a Specialized Fatboy and love it. Since buying it in 2014, I've not used my other bikes.

    Best of luck!
    Mike
    Something to think about. My thoughts are that the Vinson frame is good enough to hang better stuff on eventually. I do all my mechanicals so I was going to upgrade the tires at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jseis View Post
    I'm 61, I ride my fat the most. Love my road, C&V, and, MTB... But fat wins 99% of the time.
    This is good to hear and what I expect I would do also. C&V ?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    83
    I'm a somewhat similar demographic and I'm located about an hour north of you as the crow flies so the terrain is somewhat similar (i.e., not majestic peaks like Rockies/Sierras).

    I ride a Felt DD30 fat bike, rigid front fork. Studded Vee Snowshoe XL's in the winter and 4.0 Jumbo Jims in the summer. Nice goodies that came with: hydraulic brakes, carbon bar, really strong fork (I'm 240-250#)

    You definitely need gears to handle hills, even relatively small ones like they have on LI (I work with a bunch of avid roadies from LI so I hear about the terrain every Monday morning on our weekly conference call). That rules the Mongoose or anything single speed out... at our age, we have to do everything we can to save the knees, which aren't coming back if we blow them up doing something stupid like riding in gears that are too high.

    The one knock on the $1,500 Felt (and probably similar priced bikes from other makers): the shifting is a little mushy at that price point. Mine came with a regular Deore drivetrain, and I think I'd be happier bumping that up to SLX or XT derailleurs. I don't like the mushy feel of shifting on the Deore rear derailleur when I'm trying not to bog down on some steep climb and I need a lower gear to keep my cadence up.

    They recently cut the price on the Felt from $1,999 to $1,449; I thought it was a great value at the higher price so I'd say it's a screaming buy at the lower price.

    Convince me that I need another fat bike-494eb164-929e-4a90-8139-2e3ca46e2621.jpg
    1980 Trek 614
    1980 Ritchey Everest custom MTB, serial #27
    2015 Trek Boone 5
    2015 Felt DD30 fatbike
    2016 S-Works Enduro

  7. #7
    be1
    be1 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    48
    You don't need another fatbike.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by KidCharlemagne View Post
    I'm a somewhat similar demographic and I'm located about an hour north of you as the crow flies so the terrain is somewhat similar (i.e., not majestic peaks like Rockies/Sierras).

    I ride a Felt DD30 fat bike, rigid front fork. Studded Vee Snowshoe XL's in the winter and 4.0 Jumbo Jims in the summer. Nice goodies that came with: hydraulic brakes, carbon bar, really strong fork (I'm 240-250#)

    You definitely need gears to handle hills, even relatively small ones like they have on LI (I work with a bunch of avid roadies from LI so I hear about the terrain every Monday morning on our weekly conference call). That rules the Mongoose or anything single speed out... at our age, we have to do everything we can to save the knees, which aren't coming back if we blow them up doing something stupid like riding in gears that are too high.

    The one knock on the $1,500 Felt (and probably similar priced bikes from other makers): the shifting is a little mushy at that price point. Mine came with a regular Deore drivetrain, and I think I'd be happier bumping that up to SLX or XT derailleurs. I don't like the mushy feel of shifting on the Deore rear derailleur when I'm trying not to bog down on some steep climb and I need a lower gear to keep my cadence up.

    They recently cut the price on the Felt from $1,999 to $1,449; I thought it was a great value at the higher price so I'd say it's a screaming buy at the lower price.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	494eb164-929e-4a90-8139-2e3ca46e2621.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	218.0 KB 
ID:	1084402
    Thanks. Nice bike. I'm not sure that I want to spend that much though. At least not right away. I like working on my bikes so I expect to upgrade the cheaper bike eventually.

    I'm considering the Mongoose Vinson or the Boris X5 or X7 from Bikes Direct. But since I will be beach riding I'm not sure about the 80mm rims on the Boris. I would think that the 100s on the Mongoose would be better.

    Quote Originally Posted by be1 View Post
    You don't need another fatbike.

    You are right. Nevermind. It's a silly idea.





    But I wants one. (Rubs hands while smiling maniacally.)

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    919
    Yes get another fat bike of your choice and get rid of the Beast. You already mentioned the limitations of it and whatever fat bike you get will replace that. You would not need or honestly ride both.
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Raleigh Willard 3, Furley & Militis 3 (SS)
    Nashbar Carbon Road

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    255
    Bah, get it. You might shop around more though. Framed has some decent options in your price range and I know other guys on here have been able to snag Big Jon's or similar used/demo'd for ~$1k as well. Might be a few & far between deal, but it's an option.

  11. #11
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,184
    I'm on Long Island as well and have learned that a beach bike and a singletrack bike are two different beasts. One of my friends found a happy medium running 4.8 Knards on Rolling Darryls and a 2x10 drivetrain.
    I run my 907 with 4.8 Knard rear and Bud front. Fantastic in the woods, drags a little on the beach sand. I'm building my old quick release 907 into a beach only bike with Clownshoes and Big Fat Larrys because I have it.
    If I were you, I'd buy a purple sale frame from 907 and build Darryls on Bike Hub Store hubs and Knards front and rear. Bike will do everything you need it to do.
    I just built almost exactly the same bike for my dad and he's 69.
    I like turtles

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    110
    OK, you all have convinced me. Thanks for the suggestions and ideas. I will get a good fat bike. Of that much I am sure. The Beast and the GF MTB is going on Craigslist.

    And NYrr, I had not considered a full build. Good idea. Now I am really confused. Thanks.

  13. #13
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,184
    Sorry... I can help you if you need it.

    I'm realizing at 50 that I better hurry up and get all the really cool bikes before I'm too old to ride em. I can't stand by and let you get a Mongoose at 61.
    I like turtles

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    110
    Well, thanks all, I pushed the shiny red button. I will tell the wife that you made me do it.

    A Motobecane 2016
    Boris FS X9 LTD from BD. Save up to 60% off new Rockshox Bluto Fork Fat Bikes and Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Boris X9 SRAM

    More than I wanted to spend but the general advice here has been to spend a little more than I wanted to.

    The Bluto is probably overkill for the riding around here but in conjunction with my Cane Creek Thudbuster seatpost I will be riding a couch. I will seek out roots and drops. I will be unstoppable. I will be a superhero.

    This is going to be so cool.

  15. #15
    Fat Biking & Health Rider
    Reputation: MikeTowpathTraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    943
    Congrats, Beachride! I'm in Week 2 of riding on my Thudbuster LT onboard my '14 Fatboy and really love the comfort it brings riding on the asphalt roads I ride on. The Bluto, from what I've read, is another real game changer, as well. I don't think you're gonna regret this purchase at all. And you've got some great folks lurking around here to offer top notch advice, when needed. Wishing you the best in your new purchase!

    Best Regards,
    Mike

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watts888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6,275
    If I were to buy a fatbike right now, the boris x9 with bluto is what I'd got. I can say that because I have a boris x9 at home, and other than the rigid fork, I love it.

    For anybody else looking, Nashbar has the mongoose argus. 9-speed acera drivetrain, 180mm rotors, multiple sizes, alloy frame & fork, 4.5" Kenda juggernaut tires. Less than $500 when on sale.
    Mongoose Argus Sport Fat Bike
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RUBZERK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    111
    i have a Mongoose Vinson and i love it.
    i made 3 upgrades to it.
    Hydraulic brakes, Shimano Saint pedals & shorter stem.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jseis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by beachride View Post
    I like this one. Yes, I deserve it and yes I should sell them.



    Something to think about. My thoughts are that the Vinson frame is good enough to hang better stuff on eventually. I do all my mechanicals so I was going to upgrade the tires at least.



    This is good to hear and what I expect I would do also. C&V ?
    Sorry: Classic & Vintage.

    There's a "kid-fun factor" in a fat-bike. Hard to explain. Grin factor maybe. The all-terrain ability, the simplicity of a rigid (no suspension) yet you can trick it out whichever way. I've 4 sets of tires: Custom shaved 4.7 Big Fat Larrys for the beach, Snowshoe XLs (about 4.6) for future snow, 4.0 H-Billies for mixed trail/logging road and 3.5 Speedsters for the street. Crazy but I don't mind switching them out..occasionally. Sure, an extra 80mm wheel-set would be handy. Carbon forks & rims setup tubeless. But that can wait 'cause it's just a lot of fun.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTowpathTraveler View Post
    Congrats, Beachride! I'm in Week 2 of riding on my Thudbuster LT onboard my '14 Fatboy and really love the comfort it brings riding on the asphalt roads I ride on. The Bluto, from what I've read, is another real game changer, as well. I don't think you're gonna regret this purchase at all. And you've got some great folks lurking around here to offer top notch advice, when needed. Wishing you the best in your new purchase!

    Best Regards,
    Mike
    Thank you Mike. I had the thudbuster for my mtb. I have to be careful not to get vaulted into space between the seatpost and those tires. I blame at least one of my crashes on the pogo stick post. The mogels will do it. And trying to stay seated.

    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    If I were to buy a fatbike right now, the boris x9 with bluto is what I'd got. I can say that because I have a boris x9 at home, and other than the rigid fork, I love it.

    For anybody else looking, Nashbar has the mongoose argus. 9-speed acera drivetrain, 180mm rotors, multiple sizes, alloy frame & fork, 4.5" Kenda juggernaut tires. Less than $500 when on sale.
    Mongoose Argus Sport Fat Bike
    This is good to hear. Thanks. It seems like a good decision. The bike seems nice with decent components. I will now have to ride the shit out of it while smiling. I must do it justice.



    Quote Originally Posted by RUBZERK View Post
    i have a Mongoose Vinson and i love it.
    i made 3 upgrades to it.
    Hydraulic brakes, Shimano Saint pedals & shorter stem.
    It looks my friend will be buying the Vinson. This is unexpected and cool. I usually ride alone but riding with friends is better. The Vinson looks great, but one thing with it for me is that I should have a larger frame than it comes in.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jseis View Post
    Sorry: Classic & Vintage.

    There's a "kid-fun factor" in a fat-bike. Hard to explain. Grin factor maybe. The all-terrain ability, the simplicity of a rigid (no suspension) yet you can trick it out whichever way. I've 4 sets of tires: Custom shaved 4.7 Big Fat Larrys for the beach, Snowshoe XLs (about 4.6) for future snow, 4.0 H-Billies for mixed trail/logging road and 3.5 Speedsters for the street. Crazy but I don't mind switching them out..occasionally. Sure, an extra 80mm wheel-set would be handy. Carbon forks & rims setup tubeless. But that can wait 'cause it's just a lot of fun.
    Classic and Vintage. Cool. I would love to try one of those pennyfarthings. With full body armor.

    Custom shaved tires. Ah yes. I ran the ones on my Beast through my power planer. That was fun. Rubber bits flying everywhere. It made me consider the state of my sanity.

    Those sound like good suggestions for the tires. I'm hoping that ones that come with the bike will be good all around. They are at least 120 tpi. VEE8 . They look like a compromise which may be good for me as I need to get down a steep hill to get to the beach. I also will be doing some road riding now and then.

    Yes the "fun factor", the Mongoose Beast gives me some idea of how much a fat bike can be. I think this this new bike will bring it to a new level. I will have no qualms about riding the singletrack now. I look forward to seeing how steep I can climb with it.

    I am not excited about this at all.

    Excuse me but I have to check the tracking...

  20. #20
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,184
    About the Bluto... When I run full fat, I don't feel the need for a suspension fork in any conditions.
    When I'm running my 29+ wheels, I do feel it necessary. I'm probably going to get a 29+ Rockshox Yari for the plus wheels and not bother with Bluto. You may want to get a rigid fork for the beach.
    I like turtles

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    About the Bluto... When I run full fat, I don't feel the need for a suspension fork in any conditions.
    When I'm running my 29+ wheels, I do feel it necessary. I'm probably going to get a 29+ Rockshox Yari for the plus wheels and not bother with Bluto. You may want to get a rigid fork for the beach.

    I don't know if you have done Cathedral Pines, but the roots there will rattle your teeth out. Cool trail, but rooty. On those kind of trails the shock will be welcome.

    Just received notice that I should receive the bike in about a week.

    Looking forward to riding Glacier Ridge in Farmingville with it. I have not done it yet but it looks like a fun roller coaster trail. I usually ride Rocky Point.

  22. #22
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,184
    Yep. Been to Cathedral on my 29er fully. Glacier's my all time favorite. Fast and flowy.
    Rocky's cool too.
    I like turtles

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watts888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6,275
    I've gotten multiple bikes off bikesdirect, and I'd recommend going through a full service before you take it out. Bearing grease will be good, but check for binding or loose axle lockdown nuts. Every bike I've received oddly enough had the derailure lower limit screw pretty close to keep the chain from coming off, but the upper limit screw to prevent shoving the chain into the spokes was always way off. Brakes were always slapped on and not aligned. Basically, all the parts are there, they just need assembled better.

    FYI, if the rear hub ever goes out, Origin8 makes a 170mm 32H fatbike hub that's pretty good. Cartridge bearings and acceptable points of engagement. And it has the exact same dimensions as the stock hub, so you don't need new spokes. $80 online. Strangely enough, I bought mine off Newegg (originally a computer parts store).
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    I've gotten multiple bikes off bikesdirect, and I'd recommend going through a full service before you take it out. Bearing grease will be good, but check for binding or loose axle lockdown nuts. Every bike I've received oddly enough had the derailure lower limit screw pretty close to keep the chain from coming off, but the upper limit screw to prevent shoving the chain into the spokes was always way off. Brakes were always slapped on and not aligned. Basically, all the parts are there, they just need assembled better.

    FYI, if the rear hub ever goes out, Origin8 makes a 170mm 32H fatbike hub that's pretty good. Cartridge bearings and acceptable points of engagement. And it has the exact same dimensions as the stock hub, so you don't need new spokes. $80 online. Strangely enough, I bought mine off Newegg (originally a computer parts store).
    Thanks for the advice. The bike is due tuesday. I've been looking at packs and bottle carriers for it. Those frame packs look cool. I'm tempted to get the rear rack/cooler combo. I like the idea of mixing beer drinking with riding. At least while on safe terrain.

    This is actually making me clean up my garage/shop so I can set up my bike stand and work on it in comfort. I don't know who keeps making a mess in there! I'll check all the bearings and other adjustments etc.

    Thinking about getting the peddles that can use regular shoes or the clipless. For the beach riding I think I want the clipless. Maybe it's the roadie in me.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Yep. Been to Cathedral on my 29er fully. Glacier's my all time favorite. Fast and flowy.
    Rocky's cool too.

    Wow, glacier must be cool. Funny thing is that I do work in a community that borders that trail. I ducked into the woods there one day to relieve myself and I could hear riders on the trails laughing and whooping it up. I will have to start bringing my bike with me when I go there. I'll just tell my customers that I'll see them tomorrow.

  26. #26
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,184
    Quote Originally Posted by beachride View Post
    Wow, glacier must be cool. Funny thing is that I do work in a community that borders that trail. I ducked into the woods there one day to relieve myself and I could hear riders on the trails laughing and whooping it up. I will have to start bringing my bike with me when I go there. I'll just tell my customers that I'll see them tomorrow.
    Glacier is awesome. You're in for a treat.

    You'll really want some 29+ wheels for Glacier to really enjoy the flow once you get the feel of the place.
    I like turtles

  27. #27
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,184
    Watts888 is right. One of my friends bought one of the BD Motobecanes and I spent an hour and a half making it right. Only thing we did not do was split tubeless the tires.

    I've been using Fixxation Mesa pedals on all the platform pedal builds I've done lately and everyone like em.
    I like turtles

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    919
    Quote Originally Posted by KidCharlemagne View Post
    I'm a somewhat similar demographic and I'm located about an hour north of you as the crow flies so the terrain is somewhat similar (i.e., not majestic peaks like Rockies/Sierras).

    I ride a Felt DD30 fat bike, rigid front fork. Studded Vee Snowshoe XL's in the winter and 4.0 Jumbo Jims in the summer. Nice goodies that came with: hydraulic brakes, carbon bar, really strong fork (I'm 240-250#)

    You definitely need gears to handle hills, even relatively small ones like they have on LI (I work with a bunch of avid roadies from LI so I hear about the terrain every Monday morning on our weekly conference call). That rules the Mongoose or anything single speed out... at our age, we have to do everything we can to save the knees, which aren't coming back if we blow them up doing something stupid like riding in gears that are too high.

    The one knock on the $1,500 Felt (and probably similar priced bikes from other makers): the shifting is a little mushy at that price point. Mine came with a regular Deore drivetrain, and I think I'd be happier bumping that up to SLX or XT derailleurs. I don't like the mushy feel of shifting on the Deore rear derailleur when I'm trying not to bog down on some steep climb and I need a lower gear to keep my cadence up.

    They recently cut the price on the Felt from $1,999 to $1,449; I thought it was a great value at the higher price so I'd say it's a screaming buy at the lower price.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	494eb164-929e-4a90-8139-2e3ca46e2621.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	218.0 KB 
ID:	1084402
    It is not the derailleur it is the shifter. I have a XT shifter paired with a Deore Shadow Plus derailleur and it is crisp. The XT shifter has a much firmer, accurate feel verses the Deore. I originally had an Deore shifter.
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Raleigh Willard 3, Furley & Militis 3 (SS)
    Nashbar Carbon Road

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    463
    I'm glad u went for it. Last year I knew I needed to start pedalling again to aid in recovering from knee injuries. (Work related ) . We got a Boris X5 off Craigslist in Anchorage. My 2nd ride convinced me I was on the right track with the fat instead of Mt Bk. Then I got my Cogburn CB4. . The only thing I regret is not going fatter. IE, Ice Cream Truck, Da Phat, BlackBarrow, Moonlander. Ect. You will find the stability to be wonderful. I'm not a little guy and getting injured from a bike is just NOT something I plan on doing. The fattys just excell at staying under you. .
    Looking forward to your ride reports .

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    110
    Thanks guys. I'm psyched. And was just looking at the local MTB club's site.

    CLIMB - Concerned Long Island Mountain Bicyclists

    and I see that there are many new trails around where I live. I'm looking forward to checking these out. I don't know how fast I'll go but we'll see.

    I'm also liking the idea of bikepacking. I have backpacking stuff and enjoy long treks and getting away from it all. Not sure where I could do that. Doing a route along the LI beaches and stealth camping overnight is a thought. The idea of setting a tent in front of a Hamptons mansion intrigues me.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fishboy316's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    429
    When you get used to the bike you will find yourself going faster and faster and laughing most of the time. Fat is a kick in the butt! Oh yea,

    Congrats! Welcome to the fat! It will consume you!LOL
    2013 Cannondale F29 1 Alloy
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by fishboy316 View Post
    When you get used to the bike you will find yourself going faster and faster and laughing most of the time. Fat is a kick in the butt! Oh yea,

    Congrats! Welcome to the fat! It will consume you!LOL


    Thanks! I got the bike today, put it together and took it for a ride through the woods down the steep woods path, out to the beach and rode along the beach for about an hour then back. The tide was perfectly timed for me , low.

    Oh man. This bike is great. Went right down the steep woods trail and just rolled over some big roots on the tight turns that stopped me on my 26 incher mtb. The brakes felt great. Out on the beach she felt light and tracked like a dream. The downwind leg was surprisingly fast. The tires felt great.

    I was happily surprised to see how well balanced, light and nimble it was. But after riding the Mongoose Wallbeast that is not surprising.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: blekenbleu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    165
    > 4.5" Kenda juggernaut tires

    Although the image @ nashbar shows 26x4.5, the Argus Sport ships with 46x4.0 Sports.
    FWIW, 26x4.5 Pro is a worthwhile upgrade for soft sand.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: blekenbleu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    165
    > My thoughts are that the Vinson frame is good enough to hang better stuff on eventually.

    That Vinson frame looks similar to the Argus Sport, and it was amazingly easy to spend $500 upgrading that $500 bike..

Similar Threads

  1. How to convince wife on new bike purchase?
    By hostage in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 06-11-2016, 08:34 AM
  2. Need to convince someone to sell me his bike
    By azimiut in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 05-13-2016, 05:49 PM
  3. Replies: 46
    Last Post: 03-19-2014, 05:11 PM
  4. Convince me to spend most of my money on a bike
    By SpAgetttt in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-29-2012, 10:14 AM
  5. Convince me!
    By VegasWind in forum Turner
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-07-2011, 08:41 PM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.