mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Contact lenses and winter riding

I am looking for input on riding in the cold with contact lenses. Ski goggles are just to heavy and hot for biking, but regular sunglasses seem to let in too much cold air. Do x/c ski googles work any better? Does the strap fit under a helmet at all? If you have any experience, I would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks!
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    I am looking for input on riding in the cold with contact lenses. Ski goggles are just to heavy and hot for biking, but regular sunglasses seem to let in too much cold air. Do x/c ski googles work any better? Does the strap fit under a helmet at all? If you have any experience, I would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks!
    I wear julbo areospace goggles. The lens pops out for airflow for fogging and cooling off. They are $$ but they have the airflux now thats alot more reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

Elitest thrill junkie
    How cold are we talking? I'm usually good down to about -20F w/o goggles, but I'm using a full balaclava at that point and possibly a neck-warmer too, ski helmet and I might even tape up the vents.

The point is when you are controlling all the other extremities fairly well with coverage/clothing, then the small opening at your face becomes your heat-exchanger and as your body heats up, it needs that little bit of surface area.

I see people running around with goggles on when it's around 32F and it boggles my mind.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I normally wear glasses for everyday and contacts for sports. FWIW, I find that contacts help with the cold vs. glasses when skiing or riding. You can choose which style of protection based on the temp for a particular ride.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I have battled with psoriasis around my eyes for 30+ years. If I ride when it is under 40 F without goggles, I tend to end up in the ER, looking for steroids and antibiotics. Goggles aint so bad haha.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by letitsnow View Post
    I have battled with psoriasis around my eyes for 30+ years. If I ride when it is under 40 F without goggles, I tend to end up in the ER, looking for steroids and antibiotics. Goggles aint so bad haha.
    How does that even work? I'm just curious. There's no way I could wear them in warmer temps like that, I'd be all fogged up constantly.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    They do fog up. I can basically only ride at about 70% in the winter, otherwise the heat/sweat cause them to fog up. Kinda sucks, but it is better than sitting on the couch.