Concave studs on Bud and Lou- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Concave studs on Bud and Lou

So I have two Moonies, both wearing Bud and Lou.
    Looking to stud one of them for this winter, came across these concave studs
    https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content...u=1000,185,188

Local shop sells them with the tool, question is - will they only fit tires which are stud ready from the factory or can they be installed on regular tire just like regular studs?

If I am missing out by not looking at other studs - please do suggest.
    Past several winters my sudded rig was kona unit with Schwalbe x-ice, 29x2.35. It is awesome for pure ice but sucks for powder/ice conditions.
    Don't believe everything you think

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by mongol777 View Post
    So I have two Moonies, both wearing Bud and Lou.
    Looking to stud one of them for this winter, came across these concave studs
    https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content...u=1000,185,188

Local shop sells them with the tool, question is - will they only fit tires which are stud ready from the factory or can they be installed on regular tire just like regular studs?

If I am missing out by not looking at other studs - please do suggest.
    Past several winters my sudded rig was kona unit with Schwalbe x-ice, 29x2.35. It is awesome for pure ice but sucks for powder/ice conditions.
    You can install those by drilling holes with a 1/8 bit in the knobs. I am testing that technique on a jumbo jim tire. The studs seem to hold.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I'm not sure if the thin knobs of the Bud/Lou will work with the mushroom head of the concave studs. The base is about the same width as the knobs, which could cause issues.

I'm running grip studs on my Bud and Lou and they work very well. They are expensive, but grip much better than the 45NRTH studs.

One other option is Kold Kutters, however they go through the casing, requiring tubeless and preventing use of a tube in an emergency.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    I'm not sure if the thin knobs of the Bud/Lou will work with the mushroom head of the concave studs. The base is about the same width as the knobs, which could cause issues.

I'm running grip studs on my Bud and Lou and they work very well. They are expensive, but grip much better than the 45NRTH studs.

One other option is Kold Kutters, however they go through the casing, requiring tubeless and preventing use of a tube in an emergency.
    Thank you, I remember your (I think) thread. Price is always a consideration, would rather stud existing tires vs buying studded tires. Grip studs still would be cheaper vs say new 45North tires

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    You can install those by drilling holes with a 1/8 bit in the knobs. I am testing that technique on a jumbo jim tire. The studs seem to hold.
    Bud and Lou have pretty burly knobs, both sets are several seasons old but were almost exclusively ridden in snow only. Post some pics please when you have sec if it is not much trouble - I almost bought Jumbo Jims today as lighter summer alternative to B&L but decided against them as winter is pretty close and I need studded fat more

Anchorage, AK
    Bud and Lou have pretty burly knobs, both sets are several seasons old but were almost exclusively ridden in snow only. Post some pics please when you have sec if it is not much trouble - I almost bought Jumbo Jims today as lighter summer alternative to B&L but decided against them as winter is pretty close and I need studded fat more
    Here you go, as the initial test I have studded 3 knobs in each of the outer three rows. So far so good, after 10 miles they have all stayed in place...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Concave studs on Bud and Lou-20160910_112232.jpg  

--Peace

mtbr member
    Thanks, that looks great!

So far my choices are:
    1. Just splurge and buy Wraithchilds (cons - pricey but what good stuff isn't? pros - easy swap and I get to keep B&L on both Moonies for summer)
    2. Buy JJ (always wanted them) and stud one set of B&L (pros - probably will end up cheaper than #1 and I will get new shiny JJs and dedicated studded pair of B&L (either concave or grip studs, cons - nothing comes to mind :-))

So far leaning towards #2 - this would allow me to leave B&L on geared Moonlander and use studded B&L on it as well and JJ would make it a bit more fun to ride 2nd Moonie as it is SS and 28x19 can be a bit of a workout with B&L at lower pressures.

@Lars_D - I recall you mentioned that JJs roll even better than Floyds. Which JJ do you run, 4 or 4.6, which rims (width) and what pressure?

Anchorage, AK
    Thanks, that looks great!

So far my choices are:
    1. Just splurge and buy Wraithchilds (cons - pricey but what good stuff isn't? pros - easy swap and I get to keep B&L on both Moonies for summer)
    2. Buy JJ (always wanted them) and stud one set of B&L (pros - probably will end up cheaper than #1 and I will get new shiny JJs and dedicated studded pair of B&L (either concave or grip studs, cons - nothing comes to mind :-))

So far leaning towards #2 - this would allow me to leave B&L on geared Moonlander and use studded B&L on it as well and JJ would make it a bit more fun to ride 2nd Moonie as it is SS and 28x19 can be a bit of a workout with B&L at lower pressures.

@Lars_D - I recall you mentioned that JJs roll even better than Floyds. Which JJ do you run, 4 or 4.6, which rims (width) and what pressure?
    I have a 4 in the front and a 4.8 in the rear. In the summer I run them at 15-20. In the winter it will be 10-15.
    --Peace

Nor­wegr
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post

Measure the depth of the lugs on your tire, cut the kold kutters to not go further in than that. Then use an uncut kold kutter to thread into the tire for a couple of turns, then you can easily thread in the cut kold kutters.

It's the cheapest option for tires that don't come with sockets for studs, but it's a bit more labour intensive since you have to cut metal screws.

Anchorage, AK
    Here is a video on how to install studs in non-studded tires...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBHdNKajdQc
    --Peace

vmk
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Me too
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muEgelNBWLU

6 pairs of DIY-studded tires in our family last winter, not a single stud was lost. JJ 4, 4.8 and Floater tires.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    ^ Awesome!! I will try this on some spare Vee Mission and Vee 8's.
    2018 RSD Middlechild
    2016 Norco Sasquatch 6.1
    2010 Giant STP SS

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have done my bud and lou the same way as Lars shows in his video. The thing I have found to use also is I squirt some 3M 5200 adhesive in the hole first, it works at lube and when it dries it helps hold the stud in. I have also used it when I have done replacement studs in my Dillinger's with good success.