Cold weather masks- Mtbr.com
    Wizard of the Trail

Cold weather masks

Hey Guys, do any of you wear cold weather masks to help your breathing? I have asthma and its well regulated except if I am in cold weather exerting myself. If I am climbing long hills, I will start hacking and it lasts for days after the event. I tried a dust mask because I see some old folks doing that when their shoveling snow. I was climbing a hill with the dusk mask and couldn't make a small climb that I usually make. When I got near the top I had to take it off because I just couldn't get enough air. Any insight would be great.
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

Grand Master Jedi
    http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/prod...-pro-face-mask

You'll look like Darth Vader, but it works!!! Awesome product.

Wizard of the Trail
    I was going to get that one. I saw good reviews for it. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbussiere View Post
    http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/prod...-pro-face-mask

You'll look like Darth Vader, but it works!!! Awesome product.
    That seems like a positive thing to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2011 Gravity 29point1 19" frame

...a wiggle theres a way
    I just picked up one of these masks Respro: Sports & Leisure - Cycling - City Mask from our local bike shop (Salt Lake City Bicycle Company | Trek Bicycle Store in Salt Lake City Utah | Friendly Bike Shop in Downtown Salt Lake City | Sales & Service) on Thursday. I used it yesterday for my commute to and from work (36miles)and it worked well. I stopped a few times to readjust it (was sliding off face because straps were being pushed down by helmet) but i think i have it dialed in now and it *should* be awesome for the rest of the winter -- ill write a better review once i have some more miles time with it

joe

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Polarwrap Exchanger II Camo Face Mask (For Men and Women) - Save 78%

Just saw this one, no experience with it but for $14 could be worth a try, think I'll pick one up.

For a non heat exchanger, I like the Outdoor Research Sonic Balaclava, windproof with sound ports over your ears so you can still hear. They do seem to warm the air a bit. They could ice up some on long outings though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    This is what works best for me, a simple fleece bandana. When you tuck it into your jacket and pull it up over your nose there’s a pocket in front of your mouth that catches your breath and body heat. It’s also stretchy so you can pull it up and down very easily. The only minor issue with it is that you have to be a bit finicky about where you have it on your nose in very cold weather, because if you have it in the wrong place the moist air that leaks up the gaps beside your nose can make your eyelashes frost up. Most of the time that air just keeps your eyes warm, however.
    MEC Oust Bandana (Unisex) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I really like my psolar bx balaclava, but their website seems to no longer exist. I wear it whenever the temperature is below -20C (0F)
    I also like the lungplus from sweden, but it is hard to get in North America.
    I have a Talus Coldavenger, but it doesn't warm the air like the psolar does. I have a couple of others that are not suitable for biking since I cannot get enough air through them.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    I'm going to try the one Beachcomber linked to (cheap experiment!), and report back later.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

Wizard of the Trail
    Quote Originally Posted by coldbike View Post
    I really like my psolar bx balaclava, but their website seems to no longer exist. I wear it whenever the temperature is below -20C (0F)
    Found this site.

Psolar.BX Balaclava, Full Face Mask and Winter Sports Accessory | EXmask.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I have noticed how much slower I am when I breathe through any kind of fabric. Losing that free flow of air into your lungs is a drag. If I was worried about speed on the coldest days, I'd try the REI mask.

The Dog.
    I like my buff. Simple, flexible, well-regarded among xc skiers. A million uses too.

The Original Buff Wear Collection: Original Buff Wear, Buff Bandanas, Buff Headwear and much more - PlanetBuff.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I've been using an Outdoor Research NinjaClava with good results. I did try the ColdAvenger Pro and hated it. However, I am one of the only people who had a negative experience. If you have glasses, stay away. It fogs like crazy, although it's not supposed to. I also noticed the incoming air was really cold, which is not how it's supposed to work.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Cross country ski racers in Fairbanks use something like this:

AirTrim Cold Weather Heat Exchange Mask
    Latitude 61

It aint gonna ride itself
    Quote Originally Posted by Geist262 View Post
    Hey Guys, do any of you wear cold weather masks to help your breathing? I have asthma and its well regulated except if I am in cold weather exerting myself.
    LoganTri, another forum member with asthma recommended the Cold Avenger mask over in this post. Even more on his blog.

mtbr member

Psolar.BX Balaclava

I also have asthma and I've been using the Psolar.BX Balaclava for several years for winter cycling without any problems. It appears as though Psolar might be out of production and now replaced by the ColdAvenger Expedition Balaclava (available on Amazon.com). There is a review of the older Psolar.BX Balaclava at:
    Psolar Balaclava Heat Exchange Mask For Winter Biking, Hiking And Skiing « All Seasons Cyclist
    Last edited by All Seasons Cyclist; 12-18-2011 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Added URL to a review of the mask

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Vader mask + Honeybadger Black Fatboy for the win!

Quote Originally Posted by Geist262 View Post
    I was going to get that one. I saw good reviews for it. Thanks.
    I can see it now, the Darth Vader breath mask astride my 907 chromed out black poor man's Fat Boy bike!

Living the thug life.

Just got done with the Cold Avenger on a 22 hour shake down ride, the Tuscobia 150. Considering I had no breathing problems during or after AND I had forgotten my inhalers at home I figured it did it's job well. As far as fogging, I don't use eyewear, but they now include a foam insert that mounts at the top of the mask to prevent moisture from getting up there.

BTW, the 907 with 80mm Flattop rims did great especially when I had to air down almost to the rim in order to stay on top of the small crust formed on the snow; breaking through equaled extreme resistance. The colder it got for longer the better the snow got, but it was pretty miserable for us out there.

BTW, that is me at 3:50am, tired, glad to be done.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

Living the thug life.
    Just an FYI, all those bandanas/balaclava/fleece masks that you breath through have a lot more resistance to breathing and freeze over. They may be alright for short rides if you don't mind the resistance (I hate it).

I have not used the Air Trim, but that was the only other one I could find that looked like it had what I wanted when researching. I really dig the overall coverage of the Avenger as it covers the ears and such.

My blog.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Honeybadger View Post
    I can see it now, the Darth Vader breath mask astride my 907 chromed out black poor man's Fat Boy bike!
    I have embraced the "Darth Vader" look. When it is around zero degrees outside you couple a good mask with a black ski helmet and all black clothing -- all I need now is a good cape!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    Seems the negative comments on the cold avenger balaclava come from poor fit for smaller users. Any smaller riders on here with the same issue?
    The balacava is huge, that's how you make something that is one size fits all.

Living the thug life.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike View Post
    The balacava is huge, that's how you make something that is one size fits all.
    Yeah, it is on the big size, but I won't be using it regularly. It is crazy warm. Too warm for me unless below 0. I need something I can regulate better, and the regular masks do that. I can throw a hat of head band if needed.

My blog.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    My objection to the cold avenger is that I find it doesn't warm the air as much as I like. If I didn't have a psolar bx, I would prefer the cold avenger to a scarf or bandana. I also find that all masks, even with extra foam at the nose, cause my goggles to fog.