Cold weather gear for bigger bodies?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Cold weather gear for bigger bodies?

In the market to purchase a soft-shell jacket, base layers, etc so I can go out in single digit weather.

I'm 6'0" and 220 and have had a hard time finding clothing designed to fit "American-Sized Bodies."

Rapha is a total joke. Gore doesn't fit well either. I fall off the end of their sizing chart.

Twin Six makes stuff that works. Have found a couple items on eBay that work as well.

But I want a soft shell jacket with some performance to it.

Any brands to be looking at?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by CornMan View Post

Any brands to be looking at?
    Anything for XC skiing, Swix, etc.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I bought a mammut shell jacket with pit zips that has served me well they last winter. I combine it with various weights of tops depending on the temp.

I would think at your size this jacket in XXL would fit you nicely https://www.sweetpetes.com/product/b...SABEgKz3fD_BwE
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    Iím 6í4Ē, 260#.

Check out the big and tall sizes at https://www.aerotechdesigns.com

Their stuff even runs a tad big I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Iím 6í2Ē 240 and I can usually find gear that fits.

Most brands should have Xc ski pants that fit you.

Euro jackets usually donít fit me even in XXL.

Bontrager makes excellent winter cycling wear. OMW pants and jacket are my daily outfit.

Check for soft shell gear at Eddie Bauer. Generous fit and lots of sale prices.

North Face or Columbia usually fits as well.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Realtree try a hunting store.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    Realtree try a hunting store.
    You do not want low-viz cycling outerwear. I have some blaze stuff I use cycling with Gore windbreaker.

I'm a hunter myself. My hunting merino base layers are awesome and I use them cycling. But my outer layers gotta be bright.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by toadmeister View Post
    You do not want low-viz cycling outerwear. I have some blaze stuff I use cycling with Gore windbreaker.
    True. Depending on where you ride. I could wear blaze orange or dress like a ninja. Wouldnít really affect my cycling outcomes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    foxwear.net is excellent too. Custom fit and made to order for very reasonable prices.

My neoshell pants still look new after 9 winters. Perfect down to -20 without issues
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    5'11", 220 nekkid, 35-36 inch waist, 32 cycling inseam, and broad shouldered for reference. Smartwool base layers fit well, a bit tight if you are shy for an only layer, but not terrible. I picked up some Bontrager OMW pants in large and they are a teeny bit tight but a few weeks of proper eating can fix that. They are new so no on bike reports yet.

I wear a lightweight REI soft shell synthetic down jacket when it gets into the teens and below. It does not vent well, that's the only gripe and its a pretty big one. Pit zips are a must. It is great alone in the cool and for a mid layer in the cold when hiking and for general foot powered movement as well. I got a Leatt DBX 5 shell jacket as most winter rides for me are in the 20s F so I just need a windbreaker and a base. It is a bit tight in XL, definitely lives up to the tailored athletic fit description. It is a bomber jacket though, super tough and waterproof.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The thing to remember is that you don't have to get bike specific gear for everything. There are lots of options when you step outside that specific gear.

As an example, I wear wool goods from Varsteeleka and my fat biking pants/jacket are from Duluth Trading Company.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Like the dude above me said. Stop shopping cycling specific stuff. After seeing $200+ merino wool cycling jerseys, a $70 long sleeve merino wool shirt from Duluth Trading seams like a screaming deal!

I am a huge fan of these pants, I have a couple pair of non insulated for warmer days. And a pair of insulated for the cold days.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y2Z7XZD...asp_dp_primary

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    That Duluth merino shirt looks nice. The link is annoying long and I dont care to format my reply to neaten it so search for "Men's Best Made Long Sleeve Merino T-Shirt". I have a similar looking Chromag Veldt jersey that is 70/30 merino/poly blend and I love it. It was around a hundred bucks and in addition to the sweet Chromag bear it has a small stash pocket that is awesome for cards/keys and the like.

Is that worth 30 bucks over the Duluth shirt? Depends on what you need but that is one of the things you get with cycle-specific gear. I will say it is an amazing piece of kit. It was my only outer layer on top yesterday for a lightly breezy and overcast 3 hour ride at around 43 F. When it gets below freezing I move to a 150 weight Smartwool 1/4 zip.

Even 70 bucks may seem like a ton of money for a shirt but wool is amazing and worth every penny when the weather turns cold.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    6pm.com

is a great site for serious winter activity coats. Ventilation zippers under armpits, ect.. They have a lot of name brand jackets on clearance, I think their prices are excellent.

You can find some merino blends at SAMS/Costco that are not too bad. I wear a coat I bought of 6pm.com with ventilation zippers open and a SAMS club Merino long sleeve Tshirt underneath in temps to -5 F. I use the main zipper to regulate the flow of air which causes a draft through armpit vents and works well. Serious wind will screw with my system but that's about it.

I will add the Baleaf brand winter pants on Amazon are outstanding and run about $25. They are warm, durable, and fairly waterproof. IMO there is no reason to bust the bank on more expensive brands. My only gripe, being 6'3+ is they could be a little longer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Much better and cheaper options out there than the brand name stuff that works just as good. I have one of the Arsuxeo jackets shown here.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=winter+cy...f=nb_sb_noss_2

Hands down, these are the best winter cycling pants out there right now...

https://www.amazon.com/4ucycling-Win...3741033&sr=8-5

Don't be fooled into thinking you need to spend a lot of money.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Maybe I am reading the size chart wrong for the pants, but it looks like the 4XL is a 33 inch waist? The price justifies an experimental purchase but that kind of weird chart is a red flag.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by fly4130 View Post
    Maybe I am reading the size chart wrong for the pants, but it looks like the 4XL is a 33 inch waist? The price justifies an experimental purchase but that kind of weird chart is a red flag.
    It's Asian/Chinese sizing. I am 6 foot 3 inches and weight about 170. I think I got the 2XL last time I ordered.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks Ron. I was actually referring to prj71s link. The Baleaf chart makes more sense to me, but seems like the waist to length ratio may be off. Those 2Xls were not huge at the waist?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by fly4130 View Post
    Thanks Ron. I was actually referring to prj71s link. The Baleaf chart makes more sense to me, but seems like the waist to length ratio may be off. Those 2Xls were not huge at the waist?
    They are a little big but I just get them tight with drawstring.

For the price and performance I don't think you can beat them. If you are not tall, they should be perfect for you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I find that XC skiing gear works much better than cycling specific items. It's made to breathe and usually has a windproof front. Anything else and it's too warm for me.

Good luck, I probably spent more money on clothing than I did on tires. Haha

turtles make me hot
    Toadmeister got it right. Aerotech Designs is great. Plus, I am always looking for wicking layers on hunting sites, running sites, wherever.
    Im 6 foot five, 260 pounds. I love it when I can find XXL Tall in something I actually like.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    33" waist and I have XL on the 4ucyling pants

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    33" waist and I have XL on the 4ucyling pants

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Iím sorry, were talking about menís sizes in this thread...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ronhextall View Post
    It's Asian/Chinese sizing. I am 6 foot 3 inches and weight about 170. I think I got the 2XL last time I ordered.
    I ordered an Arsexal (spelling?) Chinese soft shell jacket in 5xl. Fits like a US XL. I can zip it up but canít breathe or move....

Itís been sitting in my closet over a year and I canít return it. Anyone want it? You can have it FREE plus shipping.