Coaster/roller brakes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Coaster/roller brakes

Anyone used these in really cold conditions? Do they work or does the grease freeze solid?

(Just looking at it as an option -- it's unlikely to be a problem in UK riding)
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Did the drum not work out?
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    My Shimano roller brake is pretty under-whelming, performance wise. Drums work much better.
    I think either one (roller or coaster) could have the grease replaced with oil for the lower temperatures.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Did the drum not work out?
    The drums are fine. I'm just looking at alternative systems to use on my Alfine so I can get rid of the disk. If I could bolt a drum onto the Alfine, I'd be happy - I've considered getting a Surly hub turned down to do just that and use a CentreLoc adapter to fit it..

I got bits of heather wedged inside the calliper from one of my recent rides and it's bent the little spring clip which retains the pads. Not a big issue because the brake still works ok, but an annoying click click click every turn of the wheels. It's happened before, so enclosed brakes are the go as far as I'm concerned.

I've got a Shimano BR-IM70 roller that I used on my bike years ago - it worked ok as a back brake (compared to the V-brakes of the time) but it tended to get claggy with dirt. I should have cleaned and greased it more often .

I'm looking at the more modern version which has disk brake mounts (BR-IM80 or IM85).

Here's what's inside one for the curious

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    The drums are fine. I'm just looking at alternative systems to use on my Alfine so I can get rid of the disk. If I could bolt a drum onto the Alfine...
    I'm looking at the more modern version which has disk brake mounts (BR-IM80 or IM85).
    I can't see how either of those version will bolt to an Alfine. I think you'll need to use Alfine's brother hub, the Nexus 8R36. 8r36 has the same basic guts as an Alfine 501.

I have a rear roller (BR-IM71) on my all season commuter, works well in the cold when properly lubed. I'm running it without any cable housing except for the lever to the down tube cable stop. Locks up a slick 35mm tire on dry pavement.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've run a 7 Nexus with coaster on my Pugz year round. Other than the hub wearing quickly (it didn't seem to be built as well as my Alfine), it worked pretty good. I ended up packing the coaster side of the hub with automotive Disc Brake Bearing grease which resisted burning up better than the Shimano coaster-brake grease. Otherwise, drag in sub-freezing temps wasn't any more noticeable than my dad's Rohloff, but more so than the Alfine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    I can't see how either of those version will bolt to an Alfine. I think you'll need to use Alfine's brother hub, the Nexus 8R36....
    My roller was fitted to a Nexus 8 hub (still got it). However I got the impression from looking at the specs on the Shimano site that the BR-IM80R fitted a disk hub - possibly Centre Lock.

However I've talked to the UK importers today and they say it doesn't fit a disk hub, but I don't think they actually have one in stock. Anyone seen one of that model? (BR-IM80 or 85)

The tip about using disk brake grease is a good one.

I'm planning building up a coaster fat wheel - purely to reduce the number of things like cables that can get snagged when the bike is being dragged over/through a fence or heather. (Purely to try it, I don't expect it to be a great success).

Edit: just seen a discussion on this brake on the CTC forum. Looks like the BR-IM80 is not for disk hubs.
    Last edited by Velobike; 03-03-2012 at 03:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I wish shimano would've made a coaster version of the Alfine. I loved the coaster for exactly the same reasons as you mention, Velobike. No cables, no rotors to bend, etc. I rode my Pug fixed/brakeless this winter and loved it so much I will probably go back to that after my Great Divide trip this summer.

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by JR Z View Post
    I wish shimano would've made a coaster version of the Alfine....
    They do, it's the Nexus 8C31. Nexus 8C31, 8R31 have same basic internals as the older Alfine 500. The only difference I can detect is the drive side hub dustcap is press-on instead of screw-on. Might make a slight difference in sealing, otherwise the same performance.

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...een%20Hubs.pdf

is buachail foighneach me
    Would it be possible to just fully enclose the rotor/caliper? Not necessarily sealed, but enclosed enough to prevent the intrusion of twigs and berries and the like....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach View Post
    Would it be possible to just fully enclose the rotor/caliper? Not necessarily sealed, but enclosed enough to prevent the intrusion of twigs and berries and the like....
    I've thought about that. A few years back trail bikes had covers on the disks which may be enough, or even further back Honda had fully enclosed disks.

Seeing as the drums work well now, I've thought of getting the drum cut off a hub and machined so it can bolt on to a disk mount on the hub.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    @pursuiter: You're absolutely right, I took a closer look at some comparison charts, which did not match up with my memory. I'll have to look into that. I have a 501 Alfine, which, from what I'm reading, can't use a 500 shell (yes, I know enough to realize that I can't convert my Alfine to coaster brake as the axels are different). Therefore, there must be something different between the guts of the 500 and 501 since they can't use the same shell...Or maybe I'm mis-reading something?

@sean and Velobike: I could see solid (read spokeless/holeless) rotors and clean hydraulic calipers (like the ones MikeSee is using) before I would do covers...Especially since we're talking mostly low speed riding. My big thing with discs is getting pads ruined in the winter by the (rediculously) excessive amounts of salt and chemicals used, here, in the SE Michigan area. I know I'm sounding picky and whiney, but these are reasons why I liked using a coaster or, now, fixed gear.

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by JR Z View Post
    ...Therefore, there must be something different between the guts of the 500 and 501 since they can't use the same shell...Or maybe I'm mis-reading something?...
    I have a 8R35 which is also supposed to be the older 500 style, I am hard-pressed to detect any difference between it and the 501s I own. Ball bearings instead of sleeve bearing might be the difference, slight loss of efficiency perhaps?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I like the simplicity of coasters, but most of them just seem kind of low quality. Maybe its just their looks though because I guess they last for years. If they made one with tighter tolerances and just an overall higher degree of precision I would consider one. I like the wide flanged one shown above, 36h?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Desert Walker View Post
    I like the simplicity of coasters, but most of them just seem kind of low quality. Maybe its just their looks though because I guess they last for years. If they made one with tighter tolerances and just an overall higher degree of precision I would consider one. I like the wide flanged one shown above, 36h?
    The quality has always been a put off for me too. The days of well built coasters are over I suspect.

I'm tempted to buy one, strip it, and rebuild it using known quality ball bearings and a thorough greasing. Oh, and add a grease nipple or two. (It may be ok, but that's one way to be sure). At the price, it probably would be worthwhile to buy a couple - one for spares. If the first one died, then just stuff the guts of the second in, thus saving the need for a wheel build.

I like the idea of a coaster for something like a beach bike, but I'd want a belt drive on it too. Anyone know a source of stainless cogs for a belt?

Edit: This might be better stainless chain

Last edited by Velobike; 03-10-2012 at 02:00 AM.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    belt drive on it too. Anyone know a source of stainless cogs for a belt?
    The rear cog on a Center Track belt drive is now stainless steel. I believe Phil Wood does custom cogs for Carbon Drive in stainless as well.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Members who have read this thread: 0