Clownshoe vs. Flattop 100 drilled- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Clownshoe vs. Flattop 100 drilled

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a pair of hundies and wonder if I should go with the Flattops or wait for the clownshoes. This is a question that likely cannot be answered until the clownshoes have been given a good trail test, but since the weights are within 10 gms of each other, does anyone have anything negative to say about the Flattops that could possibly be improved on the clownshoes?

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by campykid View Post
    I'm ready to pull the trigger on a pair of hundies and wonder if I should go with the Flattops or wait for the clownshoes. This is a question that likely cannot be answered until the clownshoes have been given a good trail test, but since the weights are within 10 gms of each other, does anyone have anything negative to say about the Flattops that could possibly be improved on the clownshoes?
    I hate when people do this but I'm going to anyways. How about throwing the Uma 90 into the mix?

mtbr member
    Good question, and something I have considered. If I were to have one set of wheels I'd probably go with the 90's, but I already have a pair of UMA 70's, which will be for firm hardpacked snow. I'm looking for a "powder wheelset" so I want to go as large as I can. The difference between 90 and 100 may be minimal, but for these expensive wheels I don't want to compromise. Also, the 90's weigh a little more than the 100's; probably could be drilled out a little more.

aka bOb
    Yeah I hope I didn't make a mistake by going with the 90's over the hundies. They say the differnce isn't much less then 100's but they will be here today and we will find out what I get for width soon. I made the mistake of building a set of darryls first then decided to go wider, so now I have a new set of 80's and soon to be set of 90's. How dumb is that?

Pure Evil
    Just ordered a set of drilled Flattop 100's for my Moonlander build. I was originally going to use Clownshoes but the delivery date keeps getting pushed back. Did you end up ordering Flattops, or are you waiting on the Clownshoes?
    |Trek Bicycle Corporation|

Stalk me on Instagram

mtbr member
    I'll probably go with the FlatTops, but currently the Paul whubs are out of stock so I'm in an indefinite holding pattern. I'm still a bit on the fence as to how much extra float I'll get with hundies over 70's. I understand the difference is subtle. I would consider these my "powder wheels", saving my 70's for firm packed snow.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by campykid View Post
    I'll probably go with the FlatTops, but currently the Paul whubs are out of stock so I'm in an indefinite holding pattern. I'm still a bit on the fence as to how much extra float I'll get with hundies over 70's. I understand the difference is subtle. I would consider these my "powder wheels", saving my 70's for firm packed snow.
    I couldn't wait for the whubs so I picked up a couple of Jeff Jones front hubs and they are saweeet. Sure glad I did!

P.s. last I spoke with Jeff he had a whub in stock yet.
    Last edited by bdundee; 12-09-2011 at 08:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Just sounds cool to go hundo's. Probably not much of a difference in ride quality but we'll see. Good luck getting the Clownshoes.

From Surly:

Information starts now:

Moonlander framesets are in stock now.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that there are very few Clownshoe rims. Most of the rims that have been produced were routed to complete bike production, so you tinkering, frame-up sorts (exept for a few of you) are going to be left wanting for a bit. We'll have a few more Clownshoes in early January. We wish we had enough, but we don't.

Here's the important part: if you have your bike shop order a frameset, THEY MUST CALL US TO GET THE RIMS ON THE ORDER. They will not be able to put rims on a regular website order that they may be used to using.
    The LPG