Clownshoe and BFL tubeless, which tape to use?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Clownshoe and BFL tubeless, which tape to use?

So I finally got my Moonlander (yay!) and it's utterly amazing but my biggest worry when I'm out on it is a puncture as it would be nightmarish. So I'm going to tubeless it, but which tape should I use? I can't seem to find anything in 100mm Also, I'm in the UK if that matters? Thanks by the way!

aka bOb
    Split tube on Clownshoes is the only way to go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    sextape

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Split tube on Clownshoes is the only way to go.
    Unless you like Gorilla tape.

mtbr member
    My MLr has been set up split tube for three years and it's bullet proof down to 3 psi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks for the replies guys! I asked my LBS if they would do it but they almost straight up refused because of the amount of time and hassle it would take. They said it would cost me a small fortune in terms of labour. So I asked them if I could just pay them to use their compressor and they said no too as I would be in there far too long, right in the way making a big mess! Which is fair enough tbh haha. But what to do?! I don't really have the money to buy a compressor myself and the valves are Presta so no car compressor would work either. I was thinking of just putting the sealant straight in my Surly Toobs as I just got a puncture yesterday!! What does mtbr think?

turtles make me hot
    Get a pair of 24" Q Tubes and split tubeless it. I run my Bud and Lou on Clownshoes that way and it has been trouble free.
    The shop I build wheels for sets every wheel up that way. It's easy and it's set it and forget it.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I wrapped my clownshoes using the Scotch Tough Transparent duct tape, two wraps. They have been flawless.
    DaveH
    '15 Salsa Horsethief
    '13 9:ZERO:7
    '13 Trek Domane
    '16 Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    I finally got my first flat in years on my moonie. I'm gonna go tubeless now. Is there any threads on converting these 100mm rims.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficerFriendly View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys! I asked my LBS if they would do it but they almost straight up refused because of the amount of time and hassle it would take. They said it would cost me a small fortune in terms of labour. So I asked them if I could just pay them to use their compressor and they said no too as I would be in there far too long, right in the way making a big mess! Which is fair enough tbh haha. But what to do?! I don't really have the money to buy a compressor myself and the valves are Presta so no car compressor would work either. I was thinking of just putting the sealant straight in my Surly Toobs as I just got a puncture yesterday!! What does mtbr think?
    I only use tubeless schrader valves. It's been a while since I've set up the clownshoes but I never used a compressor. If the tape is done well, a hand pump will work.

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by davesupra View Post
    I wrapped my clownshoes using the Scotch Tough Transparent duct tape, two wraps. They have been flawless.
    I don't have the clownshoes, but I used the Scotch Transparent Duct tape on my Darryls... there's an overlap in there, and It hasn't been a problem. I've always been a Gorilla tape guy, but on the fatbike the weight of that tape would add up... STD tape (wait, what?) is significantly lighter than the gorilla tape, and arguably better with the moisture (I've never had a problem with the gorilla tape and moisture though). Point being, the overlapping tape is no problem. I wrapped the center strip over the holes/rimstrip, and then did two more wraps, one on each side, up to the bead seat.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficerFriendly View Post
    An adaptor for your valves to allow use of a standard schraeder head is cheap and easy. LBS should have them. You can set the tires up with tape or split tube and sealant, and stop by a service station.

I've done both rim tape and split tube. Split tube is bomber easy every time. Taped rims can be easy or sometimes very frustrating. If you do split, be sure to get that Q Tube with the removable core to allow adding more sealant (or an equivalent).

Cheers
    Kevin

mtbr member
    Google "Gypsy by Trade tubeless" and there are a few posts showing how to do this.
    All I am saying is give pizza chants