mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Clown shoe/Nate -or- Darryl/Lou in the rear for deep snow and loose pack conditions??

Just wanted to get some feedback from those who have actually run these set-ups..

My current frame ( and the one I have on order) are both 170mm rear spacing. I've run RD's/BFL's for the past two season but I NEEDED MORE GRAB / off camber steering.

I have a marge lite/ Nate lite set-up for hard pack racing stuff, so this set-up will be my big snow, big climb, USFS trail wheelset.

I'm lucky and can run either of these set-ups as I'm a parts whore. Problem is, I've been sick as can be the last few days and I won't be able to compare the two until next Tuesday when the Nate tires finally come in. Its killing me.

The Clown Shoe /Nate combo is nearly 1/2 lb lighter but the RD/LOU combo fits the bike too and has more bite? Obviously, BOTH are better than running those damn BFL's.

Who has run them both? I'd love some input...

mtbr member
    I really like the Dillinger on hundies, front or rear...mine are studded, but they seem to have a great traction/flotation relationship. My experience with Nates (60 tpi) on hundies is one of using traction to make-up for flotation...slow and chunky trench digger as a rear tire...ymmv...

-edit- I should maybe add that these are my experiences based on riding in Bethel "The middle of nowhere", AK 99559
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitman View Post
    I really like the Dillinger on hundies, front or rear...mine are studded, but they seem to have a great traction/flotation relationship. My experience with Nates (60 tpi) on hundies is one of using traction to make-up for flotation...slow and chunky trench digger as a rear tire...ymmv...

-edit- I should maybe add that these are my experiences based on riding in Bethel "The middle of nowhere", AK 99559
    Thanks for the input. Guess I should clarify , the nates will be 120 tip. Everything will be vein with bob target 2-2.4. X 29 tubes for now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I haven't run a nate on the back but have done bfls, dillingers, and Lous on clown shoes and nothing touches the Lou in loose conditions. If you look at surlys chart, the tire makes a bigger difference than rim width. Bigger tire on narrower rim width is bigger than narrower tire on wider rim.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Ive had the opportunity to ride Nates front and rear on Daryls and now I have B and L's on clownshoes. On crust and snow the B and L's all day long, better traction with the bigger footprint.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I run Bud/cs front, nate/rd rear. This is a very good combo if that is all your frame will clear. Plenty of climbing grip and snow grip. I only run these tires in the winter and they are as good as it gets for a 4" rear frame bike. I have a friend I ride with that has the bud/lou combo on clown shoes and he can out climb on the snow better than I can. The bigger tires do provide excellent grip in the snow. I know that the Bud/cs tracks a lot better as a front tire than a Nate/ML.

The next fat bike I put together when I get to that point will be a 9zero7 on clown shoes w/ a bud and lou.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for the input guys. I'm off to ride the Bud/CS front, LOU/RD combo in the AM on my Fatback. I only lost the 36 tooth on the cassette. So its 2 X 9 now with the fatback cranks.

I just bought a sweet set of Salsa Gold Conversion hubs laced to Gold Clown shoes..( I haven't run the rear yet) Looks like I'll have to get the rear relaced with a Darryl to run the LOU.

Might as well run the MAX rim/tire combo that I can in the freshies.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Best thread info in a long time. Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Try them both and report back. I'm curious whether the flatter tire profile of the Nates on 100mm rims, or the bigger, but rounder casing of bud and Lou on 80mm rims would be better in snow. I've thought about this myself.