Chopper US Wheel Vs. Large Marge- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Chopper US Wheel Vs. Large Marge

Does anyone know the weight of the Chopper US 65mm wide rims? Also, from the pictures I've seen they are double wall with no eyelet rivets... right?

I'm planning on building up a set of wheels for my Kona Unit-29 and I am wondering what the trade off there would be in using the Chopper US rims vs. the Large Marges. Mostly used for snow, but I don't want to be limited by the rim if I decided to do some cross country trails with them too.

Because they are going on a standard frame (not fat bike specific) I will not be doing any offset drilling. Opinions?

mtbr member
    Snowcats and Umma's are considerably lighter. I have used them (snowcats) with great success here in Alaska for...well, darn, I guess nearly 15 years...wow...I'm old...The biggest trick to Snowcats is the delicate balance of tire pressure v. rolling resistance. "When in doubt, let air out". I also had good luck using a set of tires with little tread in the center section and full knobs on the shoulders. Though it really depends on the types of trail conditions. Hard packed-tires with low rolling resistance and big side knobs. Soft packed-tank treads or directional tires-classics are the Smoke / Dart combo. Don't forget to glue the drive side of the carcass to the rims with rim cement (roadies use it on sew-ups, I use it to keep the tires from "creeping")
    Disclaimer...I graduated to a FatBack on 100's last year...she runs Umma's in the summer, though my commuter still runs Snowcats year-round. YES, SOME PEOPLE ON SNOWBIKES HAVE MUlTIPLE SETS OF WHEELS-I RUN 100's, 70's and Ummas (45's?) Wow, three sets of wheels? Yes, three sets of wheels...(sorry don't mean to threadjack, but someone posted something unintelligented about not needing different sized rims. The various sizes of rims available are what really makes these bikes uber versatile...)
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

Members who have read this thread: 0