No one an idea?
    email wheelsmfg.com
    They are pretty good at helping out

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Danke, Junge! So I'll do.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    He folks, Peter answered me and offered quick help what concerns the dereilleur hanger.
    Is anyone able to say which adapter do I need for the back? Want to install a 180 mm disc from Hope. For the front I used a adapter from PM 160 to 180 mm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon fatty-k-img_20180827_1802557.jpg  

Chinese Carbon fatty-k-img_20180829_2136577.jpg  

Chinese Carbon fatty-k-img_20180815_2038260.jpg  

Elitest thrill junkie
    The rear is 160 PM, so you need 160 to 180.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Looking at jumping aboard. Anybody have a Readers Digest version of the important/relevant posts in the past 40 pages? I have built a few bikes up in my lifetime but only every 10+ years or so. By that time everything changes. What was standard 5 years ago is obsolete today. i.e. Sram has a DUB crankset they are currently pushing as the new standard. Maybe?, maybenot.

Anyway I am looking at 1x12 and my main concern is getting chainline optimization. I am planning on a 197/150 build.

Although I have good history with Shimano, I believe I will be doing mainly Sram drivetrain and Shimano brakes. (Even though Shimano is coming out with their 1x12 version "soon". ) Ice Tech brakes with metallic pads are unrivalled IMHO.

The only real chainline info I found is here in a quote from earlier in this thread.
    "If you read back a couple pages I just answered that. The 100mm bottom brackets with 190/197 rear need a bunch of spacers. With the 120mm bottom bracket you need less spacers. BUT... there was an issue with Rockshox(sic prolly meant Raceface) not including the correct spacers, but if you contact them they will send out. Otherwise mine has been working just fine and chain-line is great using one 2.5mm BB spacer on non drive side, and then one of their 11.5mm spindle spacers on drive side. With a 100mm BB you need both 11.5 spacers on each side, plus all 3 BB spacers. The spindles are the same length for both a 100mm BB, 120mm BB, 190 rear, or 197 rear. Its just a matter of spacer"

Thanks in advance for any up to date advice!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    The rear is 160 PM, so you need 160 to 180.
    Okay, thanks Jayem. But as you can see I don't have the little piece as shown on the picture. Who can help?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon fatty-adapter.jpg  

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Storch View Post
    Okay, thanks Jayem. But as you can see I don't have the little piece as shown on the picture. Who can help?
    You need that part, it's supposed to come with the frame. The purpose is so you can run the brake in the forward or rear dropout position.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Yes, I know. But it got lost somehow. I let the frame painted and cannot say whether it was on the frame before - like the plastic clips for example. In any case it is not there. Shit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Has anyone this piece left or some measures for me?
    Maybe I'll tinker some by myself. Maybe with the help of this:
    https://r2-bike.com/SHIMANO-Adapter-...SABEgLKd_D_BwE

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Storch View Post
    Has anyone this piece left or some measures for me?
    Maybe I'll tinker some by myself. Maybe with the help of this:
    https://r2-bike.com/SHIMANO-Adapter-...SABEgLKd_D_BwE
    Am I to understand that XM Carbonspeed can not get this part for you?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    No, they cannot.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I've read/heard that mtrbtools.com is pretty good at making custom things. Maybe reach out to him and see what he can do? otherwise a friend that has a machine shop nearby?

You may be onto something with the shimano flat mount brake adaptor, but I think you might not have the adjustability options with that. but for $20 it is probably your easiest best shot even if it doesn't work.
    Deflated - buy parts to sell parts to buy more parts.. bikes are my drug of choice

FATTrailer for the kiddo

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Is Carbonspeed the main Chinese manufacturer in full suspension fat bike frames. That will deal with DIY'ers?

And while we're at it... Can someone enlighten me as to their linkage design versus the design that is used on Pivot or Trek? What is the name of this linkage?

Thanks,

Tom

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Any deals on a carbon frame & rigid fork right now? I'm looking for a 26"x4.8 compatible frame. I saw the post on the FM197 for $350 and emailed xmcarbon speed. Thanks in advance !

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Been watching and reading this thread for sometime now...

Three questions for the group -
    1) Anyone running alternative fork to the carbon one or a Bluto? Lefty Olaf? Any insights as to whether the Manitou Mastodon will clear the down tube?
    2) Been emailing with Peter and got the following response to a question regarding brake rotor sizes: "Yes, you can use 180mm disc front, but maybe you need adaptor spacer" Slighty strange answer... 180 in the front, 160 in the back and everything is read to go is my understanding
    3) Back to the BTM bracket and spacing question (I know, again)... anyone recommended part numbers?

Thanks for the inclusion!

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Hey guys trolling this thread and others for a bit.
    Was looking at an ICAN SN01 to build up and am ready to pull the trigger.

I like the geometry better than the CS bikes listed.

Was hoping to fit it up with 12spd GX eagle cassette derailer shifter and chain.
    speaking with one of the reps he inidcated that the GX eagle won't fit that frame!?

I couldn't get a technical explanation due to the language barrier too much gets lost in translation. but it leaves me confused on what will and won't work for a groupset.

can anyone enlighten me on the potential fitment issues.
    Or is this just more translational confusion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    they are, as far as Ive been able to find only two wheels exist that will fit 190x12 rear, hope and dt swiss, kind of a pain to be so limited in wheel options.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoPlayOutside View Post
    Looks like a 190mm rear spacing

mtbr member
    Jun 2018

Heres my FM190

Chinese Carbon fatty-img_1538.jpg

Here is my FM190, built up. Just a word of caution with these frames, I originally built this up as a 27.5+ my first ride I went off a small jump and sliced my rear axle in half which caused my wheel to crank over and it cracked my seat stay. These companies in china are very quick to reply to you about a sale, but when it comes to a warranty issue they are all of the sudden absent. I could never get them to reply about a replacement to an obvious factory defect with there axle, so I got a carbon patch kit and fixed it myself. Pretty lame, so yes they are definitely cheap, and for the most part decent frames, since I fixed my stay, Ive ridden this frame a lot and never had any other issues, but just be aware the price point comes with some risks. Also my frame is 190 spaced in the rear which makes it a major Pain to find a wheel that fits, over my research I only found two hubs that come in that size, Hope Fatsno, and DT Swiss Big ride, and figuring out what adapters you need to buy is not easy, I had to do a shit ton of research to accomplish that. But here it is, the fork is also a chinese produced carbon bike part, but it was only a 100 bucks and is the lightest fork I've ever seen. Wheels DT Swiss, the rest pretty much all carbon, size medium comes in at a hair over 26 pounds tubeless with Dillinger 5's!

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Hey man, is there any way you could tell me what frame bag you have there and what size your frame is? looks like it fits perfectly, I have a medium frame and am trying to figure out what frame bag I an buy that will fit it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Still going, CS-197, that is all.

Attachment 1214606

Attachment 1214607

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Does anyone know what frame bag would fit a size medium FM190? Looking to purchase a production frame bag and I figured some one from this thread had found a few good options?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Fattyrider38 View Post

Here is my FM190, built up. Just a word of caution with these frames, I originally built this up as a 27.5+ my first ride I went off a small jump and sliced my rear axle in half which caused my wheel to crank over and it cracked my seat stay. These companies in china are very quick to reply to you about a sale, but when it comes to a warranty issue they are all of the sudden absent. I could never get them to reply about a replacement to an obvious factory defect with there axle, so I got a carbon patch kit and fixed it myself. Pretty lame, so yes they are definitely cheap, and for the most part decent frames, since I fixed my stay, Ive ridden this frame a lot and never had any other issues, but just be aware the price point comes with some risks. Also my frame is 190 spaced in the rear which makes it a major Pain to find a wheel that fits, over my research I only found two hubs that come in that size, Hope Fatsno, and DT Swiss Big ride, and figuring out what adapters you need to buy is not easy, I had to do a shit ton of research to accomplish that. But here it is, the fork is also a chinese produced carbon bike part, but it was only a 100 bucks and is the lightest fork I've ever seen. Wheels DT Swiss, the rest pretty much all carbon, size medium comes in at a hair over 26 pounds tubeless with Dillinger 5's!
    Good info to know. Thanks! I am not sure that you can lump all "these companies" together but Dengfu is duly noted as lacking in the warranty dept. in my book. Nice to hear you made it work. I googled "bike carbon repair" and I see a few u-tubes on that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RHYGIN1969 View Post

1) Anyone running alternative fork to the carbon one or a Bluto? Lefty Olaf? Any insights as to whether the Manitou Mastodon will clear the down tube?
    2) Been emailing with Peter and got the following response to a question regarding brake rotor sizes: "Yes, you can use 180mm disc front, but maybe you need adaptor spacer" Slighty strange answer... 180 in the front, 160 in the back and everything is read to go is my understanding
    3) Back to the BTM bracket and spacing question (I know, again)... anyone recommended part numbers?

There is indeed a confusing array of "adapter spacers" out there to make the 180 disc fit the standard 160. I see Jensen has one for $6.99 but I am not sure if it is the correct one for your application. Hoping perhaps a veteran builder will chime in
    with the exact specs needed.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Fattyrider38 View Post
    Hey man, is there any way you could tell me what frame bag you have there and what size your frame is? looks like it fits perfectly, I have a medium frame and am trying to figure out what frame bag I an buy that will fit it?
    Itís an Evoc, but it doesnít fit fatbike wheels, fatbike frames barely fit, I use it with my other bikes. Supposedly they do make a larger bag for fat bikes, although 90-100 rims are huge and Iíve heard of people taking them as carry-ons. Otherwise, the Evoc bag works awesome.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by RHYGIN1969 View Post

Brake adapters are specific to the brakes, not the frame/fork, except that there are sometimes max sizes that if you go over, would put too much stress on the system. It sounds like you are looking for brake adapters for your brakes?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I am looking to understand if this is a straight forward flat mount... shimano (say, XT) or there is a set of adapters needed. Looks like a basic flat mount. Is that right?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by arc View Post
    So far my CS-197 has been really good. Clears a Mastodon no problem.

Currently using 29x3 wheels with the axle in the forward position, 26x4.8" Vee snow avalanche tires on 90mm rims have lots of space with the axle in the forward position.

I really wish Vee would make a bigger snow avalanche or Surly would come out with a bigger bud with decent sidewalls, probably end up cutting down some 2xl's.
    Which Mastodon are you running? I'm curious about the impact to the geometry with so many variations available.

Fred

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    What's the correct A-C length for the CS-197? I'm trying to choose which Mastodon fork to purchase, and I don't want to screw up the geometry too much.

Fred

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks one and all who went before to inspire me to do this build. Way more fun than just dropping down a wad of cash at the LBS. Almost done, still waiting on a few small items. 25 lbs so far.

Chinese Carbon fatty-imag0222bjpg.jpg

Is the white lettering too gaudy? Maybe I'll try black on the other side.

achiever
    First, I appreciate the ID number on your fork -bike looks great!

I have a question about the frame. Which frame is it? It looks like it has sliding drop outs, does it? (on second look, it may be an illusion from the shadow of the TA nut making it look as if it has sliding dropouts. Is it a CS197 frame)

Quote Originally Posted by k.b. View Post
    Thanks one and all who went before to inspire me to do this build. Way more fun than just dropping down a wad of cash at the LBS. Almost done, still waiting on a few small items. 25 lbs so far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0222bjpg.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	710.9 KB 
ID:	1224779

Is the white lettering too gaudy? Maybe I'll try black on the other side.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Yes CS197 from Peter Xu. Sliding dropouts? yes. You have 2 choices on where to insert your thru axle. I put it in the rear hole...(wait... that almost sounds dirty). I now see no real reason to use the rear position, maybe if you like steep climbing ability or higher sprint speeds on hardpack. The shorter chainstay, the more agile the frame will be in singletrack conditions, and closer resemble MTB geometry. Mine has 1.5" of room in front of my BFL tire. Even a XXL Snowshoe only get 3/4" larger in radius. I will just try the longer position for a while before I shorten the chain and reset the "b-gap" of the Sram drivetrain.
    Edit: Oh, and I will have to move the dual piston rear brake caliper forward as well, there were additional tapped holes in the adapter supplied by Peter.
    Chinese Carbon fatty-imag0210b.jpg
    Last edited by k.b.; 1 Day Ago at 01:05 PM.

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 323839404142